Thread: CZ Rifles looking for info and opinions

Default CZ Rifles looking for info and opinions

I might be opening a can of worms asking for opinions but was wondering what you all thought about the CZ rifles. I saw one down at GNG in a mannlicher 9.3 x 62 and thought about picking it up if they are decent shooters. My gunsmith buddy wants to build me one up in this caliber but if I can get a fairly decent shooter without the cost of the build I may lean that way. Moose and bear don't seem as impressed with my 09 mausers as I am and they seem to die just the same with my old savage. Any input would be appreciated.

Default CZ's

While I have not purchased one yet, I am giving very serious thought to the 458 lott. There's is about $1100 and Ruger's is $1800. Every dealer in town has told me they are a very good gun for the price and see very few complaints on them.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up, I don't like the weight of the 458 lott over my 45/70 so I am holding off.

Good luck.

Tony

my first thought of the CZ line of rifles and in particular the 9,3x62 is that the steel is of modern make. You can load them up abit more than the old Mausers, not meaning that the VZ's for example cannot take a good load but the CZ's offer greater assurance of no lug setback at 60,000 plus. There is some debate going on over the Nitro Express forum that the CZ is "not" true controlled fed but.....some think that of the Rugers as well.

Don't own a CZ and do not desire to, have enough rifles ..... nope, take that back don't have enough I would like to have the 9,3x62 American. SURE was a nifty little rifle, needs some iron sights certainly but a good smith can take care of that. You would be quite pleased with the caliber in question, I have a M98 VZ24 that has swallowed up some money so....the price is right with the CZ. It does have the big ripping claw-that is a plus in my book. That caliber is one heavy hitter-without a doubt, I like mine.

buy it if you are missing a metric and want a good one.

regards,

http://www.realguns.com/archives/153.htm

The above is a link to a very good article on the rifle you handled and is very informative. I don't own a 9.3x62mm but have contemplated buying one on several occasions and the CZ will be the route I go when I do although I will probably opt for the American. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you pick one up.

I bought one, like it. No game taken yet.
    Shoots well, seems to place bullets of different weights real close to my zero at 100 yards.

Default It is a compact power house

I purchased one about a year ago (9.3 x 62, full stock). The rifle is ideal for Alaska because you can shoot bullet weights from 230-325 grains; this covers game animals from deer size to bear. The action is standard size and takes five rounds in the magazine plus one in the chamber. When I received the rifle it came with a plastic follower. However, I called CZ America and asked for a metal follower which they sent at no charge.

After shooting the rifle for about a year most of rifle's screw came loose. Be sure to loctite all the screws including: end cap, cross bolts, action screws, rear site screws, and bolt handle knob. In fact, the trigger travel screw (which does not have a lock nut) lost its initial adjustment.

With regard to the way the action works, as a cartridge in the magazine is pushed forward by the bolt, the claw engages the rim of the case (as the case exits the magazine and moves into the chamber). This happens as the cartridge is tilted upward (almost out of the magazine and almost in the chamber). If you simply throw a round in the open action and move the bolt forward the extractor will not engage the case rim. The cartridge will be pushed into the chamber and you will not be able to close the bolt; avoid this situation by pushing rounds into the magazine before moving the bolt forward.

The 9.3 x 62 is not in the same category as most 30 caliber cartridges (for example, 308 or 30-06). The 9.3 x 62 is more powerful with greater recoil and much more penetration. You will notice the difference when you fire one.

Default not to be a smarty

but hopefully this wouldn't be in the same class as most .30 calibers because it is a .366 caliber. Thanks for the info on the screws and the extractor. Never gave that much of a thought but is definitely good to hear. Wouldn't mind picking this up, now I just have to figure a way to get it in the safe without being to suspicious.

Default A little more on CZ and 9.3

I have several CZ's... all very good examples of the Mauser style of rifle. If you look back to previous posts on Mausers and the 9.3.... good things to say about them.

Recoil of the 9.3 x 62 isn't that great. Less than a 338 and some 300 mags. It is similar to the 35 Whelen and 338/06, but predates them having been created by Otto Bock around 1905... before the 30/06. It throws a heavy bullet at moderate speeds... using momentum and penetration rather than blazing velocity and recoil.

Recoil is an individual thing. The 9.3 is a dependable, lower recoiling caliber that has served well in Africa against everything.

For what it's worth, the CZ's are very strong, well made modern Mausers. The only down side I can draw up for them would be that for some calibers they are a little heavy, not the case with the short M/S stocked 9.3x62. Another complaint I have is the set trigger. My personal preference would be no set trigger on a hunting rifle. That's abut all I can muster to complain about with these fine rifles. The price will also go up about 30% next year, so now is the time to buy.

The 9.3x62 cartridge is a great old field hand. It delivers thick, heavy bullets at moderate velocity for good penetration and quick kills. It works very well with "standard" bullets, the likes of Core-Lokt or Norma Alaskan or the bonded soft points such as Woodleigh or Kodiak bullet. It is a different kind of hunt than the 300 mags because of the trajectory and velocity at impact. The caliber still makes a very good iron sight hunting rifle. It also will performs better in a short barreled carbine than the magnum calibers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default CZ's

Great rifles at a great price. The most accurate out of the box imo. Only complaint is like murphy mentioned, they can be heavy.

Default 30%?

[quote=Murphy;350900] The price will also go up about 30% next year, so now is the time to buy.
    [quote]

Is this just CZ's?
    Drink indigenous.

[quote=Pointbock;354129][quote=Murphy;350900] The price will also go up about 30% next year, so now is the time to buy.

Is this just CZ's?
    Yes, because of the exchange rate. Something about the barter system of eastern Europe going away.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Check out Savage. They may not be pretty but they sure shoot well and are a tough rifle! and they are made in the USA!!

I have a 527 in .22 Hornet. It's a nice shooting, well made rifle, but as others have said.....the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)