Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Quality Meats

Default Mike's Quality Meats

Hello, heard good things about Mikes in Eagle River and was thinking about taking my moose there, what are everyone's opinion/experience with Mike's out there?

Default Meat

Mikes is good. Don't go to ********** I brought in some nice burger meat from a cow. They gave me rotten stuff couldn't eat unless in a casorole or something. The steaks I had cut myself and tasted great. I love mooseburger and devoted a lot toward burger. So ya disappointing.
    Just my experience. My partner went to Mikes, same cow great burger.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-13-2008 at 21:59. Reason: name deleted per forum rules - send PM to member for name

Never used them myself but had three friends use Mike's this fall. All three were very pleased with the product they got back and will be repeat customers.

How does mikes package their burger? I prefer the plastic wrapping over butcher paper since it doesn't seem to leak out when thawing. We use a huge amount of ground meat so it matters!

Default Mikes!!!!

Mikes is the best!!! They use the white plastic tubes for their burger. Outstanding business! My ex-father inlaw has been using them many years.

My partners and I have taken three moose to Mike's in the past three years. Always been pleased with what we received in return. They pride themselves on getting you back the same meat you brought in so you don't get stuck with someone elses less cared for meat. This goes for their burger, breakfast sausage and stakes. They will tell you that the summer sausage and some things like that get mixed up a bit.

Had some biscuits and gravy yesterday morning made up with some of the breakfast sausage Mike's did for us, dang good.

Just be careful if ordering the hot breakfast sausage, when we ordered the hot a couple of years ago they meant hot. I like a little spice to food but this definately woke you up. Someone may have just gotten carried away with the red pepper that day. Still good though.

The only thing that could have been better was the polish sausage. It's OK, but I've had better from some of the other processors.

Tried the thick peperonni this year and was very happy with it. Has just a hint of smokey flavor to it. Very good.

Oh, Mike's packages their burger and breakfast sausage in the plastic packaging. Some of the better pricing around as well.

I'll recommend Indian Valley Meats
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default my vote...

Pioneer Meats in Big Lake

pioneer meats in the valley gets my vote......

Mikes does a great job! They make a fantastic italian sausage and summer sausage!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    Hello, heard good things about Mikes in Eagle River and was thinking about taking my moose there, what are everyone's opinion/experience with Mike's out there?
    One experience. I wasn't impressed. I've never gone back.

2 experiences, was impressed and always consider using him when I have something to take in.

If you use Mikes, be sure to have some Moose Bacon made up! It will come in a long brick which you then thick slice (about 1/4") and grill. It is excellent!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I used him ONCE, now I use Indian Valley and won't go anywhere else.

I used Mike's a few times seeing he was close as I live in Eagle River. I will not use him any more.
    This year's moose went to Indian Valley.

I would also have to vote for Pioneer meats. I like knowing I get ALL my own meat back.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    pioneer meats in the valley gets my vote......
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Mikes

"They pride themselves on getting you back the same meat you brought in so you don't get stuck with someone elses less cared for meat".

Sounds like they might have changed their standards now. This surely wasn't the case when I used them in the past. Left a bad taste in my mouth, literally. I pride myself on having very clean meat, and when I get someone elses grass and dirt covered garbage back, it sends a bad message.
    I won't use them except for little things like game bacon and sausages. These small amounts get set aside in a different room for a different process. They're not out with the rest of the meat while they're getting ready to make 2 tons of burger. I go to Pioneer or do it myself now.

Default Mikes

I've taken Moose to them the last 2 years & I've had good experiences. It makes it very convenient if you live in Eagle River and the quality of meat has been wonderful.

indian valley is the best!!! the rest are just the walmarts variety
    Semper Fi!

My cousin is having a very bad experience with Mikes as I am writing this post. That is all I am going to say....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast