Thread: Shelterlogic

Default Shelterlogic

Anybody have one of these ShelterLogic brand portable boat garages in a larger size, say 14x36x26 or so?
    How do they hold up to the weather? Do they withstand any snow load or wind at all? How long should one last? Anybody have any better ideas for a semi permanent summer and winter boat storage short of building a new boat house.

I have the 12 x 10 x 24 or something close to that. I have had it for 2 winters and it is still looking good. It handles snow load OK but I will knock off the snow if it gets deeper than about 10" or 12". I just go inside and use a broom an bang on the underside of the cover. It is pretty slick and slides down the side. Snow stacks up about 6' on the sides by the end of winter and helps shed the wind. I use a ratchet strap on each end at the roof peak and strap it to the boat trailer to help keep the wind from lifting it. It survived last weeks wind with no problem. It was the easiest temporary shelter I could find. My Costco shelter lasted 1/2 of a winter.

The "? about shrink wrap" post talked a little bit about covers and such, I just got my $20 plans in the mail from Stimson Marine for a "bow-frame shed/portable garage". I have been investigating everything from building a real shop to canvas portables for the last few years. Tent and Tarp in Anchorage has what I would like but not big enough for my boat height, I would have to add a pony wall and more money. The plans look easy and you can add length forever, I might give it a try next summer and make one. Costco covers are great kites, my neighbors flew right off his boat and never even touched it during lift off, luckily!

Tolman24 what was the cost of your Shelterlogic?

I don't remember. $600 comes to mind but it is a guess. I got it from AIH in ER about 3 years ago. Frame is much more sturdy than the Costco frame. It has horizontal bracing at the bottom and side as well as top. It is a tight fit to get my 24' Tolman under it on a trailer but it just fits. The trailer tongue sticks out. I actually use the front that was on the Costco cover on budgy cord to cover the front. So far so good. It held up well for 2 winters.

Talking Quick Structures

I have sent an email to this company for more info on the shelters. They say their fabric is heaver than the other company's and the have a winch/ratchet tie down system that I like the looks of. Go to Internet Explorer and type in Quick Structures and their web page should come up. If not let me know and I will get a phone number for you.