Thread: Camp Grub/hunting grub...

Default Camp Grub/hunting grub...

What do you guys "always" bring along on a camping/hunting trip, if sleeping in a tent? I know most sheep/goat hunters will bring dehydrated foods, as they are lighter...but I would like to know what good camp hunters bring?

I will start off with mine...

Always:
    4 cans Corned beef hash, & it has to be libbeys...
    4 cans of Spam Hormel of course
    4 cans beefaroni
    4 cans Ravioli
    4 cans lasagna
    1 box Pilot bread
    4 cans Del Monte Fruit cocktail both chucky & regular
    1 box Kudos
    2 Boxes of Ritz crackers
    4 boxes of sugar free juice mixes
    1 Box assorted plastic ware

I've seen people bring camp stoves & fresh eggs & pancake mix, along with camp stoves & kitchen utensils to cook & eat with. Also, they love to bring Potatos & onions should they catch something, with salt, pepper, tinfoil, etc. it's almost as if they bring the whole kitche with them sometimes, but I am a light backpack hunter, with no boat, so I ride along alla time with others who "hook it up".

Me, I just light up a fire & open up my cans of food & cook them right in the fire with a lil mixin up & go from there. Pilot bread & corned beef has is a staple out here, as are Spam & crackers.

Whay say you...would love to hear what other gourmet camp cooks we have...

Thanks
    Marv

Default food

I bring the following for a 4 day hunt. This is using a 6 wheeler with a cooler. The key is have the items frozen in tupperware. I like to use dishes with vinegar or tomato in them as this slows down bacteria growth and helps slow spoiling. I like a nice chicken leg adobo with pineapple A beef frittada with tomatoes peppers, onions and potatoes. Summer stick sausage for sandwiches. Bagels or french bread for sandwiches. Instant rice, dehydrated potatoes. Eggs cracked in tupperware pancake mix polish sausage. I also always carry a couple of potatoes carrots and onions and Johnny seasoning in case we get an animal. I also always have some power bars in my hunting day pack for emergency. I always bring instant coffee tea bags and cider mix. I usually have raman soup but seldom eat it. The key is temperature and bacteria growth. Keep things cold or frozen and keep the acid content high and you can get several days out of good food. I have kept food in a wet bag sunk in a stream for a couple more days after it thawed out. Food spoils because of two things time and temperature exposed to the danger zone of 45 to 140 degrees Find a way to limit that and it will be better. Yes we do eat good that is part of hunting rather if it is a fresh ptarmigan tossed in pancake mix fresh grayling or food we bring fro home. Enjoy Chef Viktor

Thumbs up ScentLok doesn't stand a chance!

Oh man, this is right up my alley!

When we are tentn it, we go a little lighter, but if we are heading up to ďCamp Gopher BierĒ we do it up outright! Hereís what the head cook delivers up. Yeah itís a lot, but itís all driven in, no back-breakin work on this menu!

Baked Beans (3 - 28oz cans)
    Corn (3 Ė 12oz cans)
    Potatoes (15 lbs)
    Huntís Manwich (2 cans)
    Onions (5lbs)
    Pickles (1 quart)
    Hot and Spicy Homemade BBQ Sauce (1 pint)
    Tenderloin (2 straps)
    Burger (5 lbs)
    Quaker Oats (1 canister)
    Eggs (3 dozen)
    Pork Sausage (3 lbs)
    Homemade Bread (4 Loaves)
    Butter (1 lb)
    PB&J
    Flour
    S&P and the seasonings
    Ritz Roasted Vegetable Crackers (3 boxes)
    Beef Jerky (3 lbs)
    Chopped Beef Homemade, also called Tiger Meat (2 lbs)
    Pickled Herring (1 quart)
    Buck Sausage Homemade (5 lbs)
    Cheese (5 lbs)

Good eatin!

Victor,

Any room in your camp? I love adobo!!!

The one staple in our camp has been canned clam chowder, simply nothing better to warm you up on a drizzly day.

Last year when we went deer hunting for a week in a cabin we went a bit crazy, but ate well. I think we filled two 160 qt coolers just with food, for 4 guys and 5 days. Had plenty of onions, peppers, chicken breast, ground beef, eggs, cheese, sausage, bread, and various canned goods, hashbrowns, also some pancake mix but not the store mix, a home made mix in a gallon ziplock, add eggs and milk and squeze it out.

We had omelets and egg scrambles for breakfast. Various sandwhiches and soups for lunch, and dinner was chicken fajitas or if we fired the bbq dogs, sausages or hamburger.

I think we should have spent more time hunting than cooking, but we had a good time.

If I'm canoe hunting, I try to pack all the food in a couple of 5 gallon buckets and use a coleman stove with a 9" cast iron skillet and a 5qt saucepan. The buckets are great, they do duty as waterproof storage, seats, and the lids as cutting boards. I also bring a few onions, some rice, seasonings and a few canned items.

Default chow

I've found I do more hunting if I don't have to spend time dealing with a fire, so most of the time I stick to things I can cook with a whisperlite stove. However, I do love a campfire and occasionally indulge. When I do...

Rib Steak marinated in lemon and soy
    Cans of chili
    Hot links from the previous years moose in a good heavy bun. Great with chili on it.

I like to take Land Jagars (smoked meat stick available at Mat Valley meats) They last a long time without any need for a cooler. They are good with a bagel and some of those wrapped cheese sticks which also keep pretty well.

If I'm tenting it I go pretty basic canned food stuff like that, nothing special. Now bear camp is something different. we have pork roasts, t-bones, eggs (with bacon and sausage), hamburgers, pork chops, ribs and all kinds of decent stuff. The cabin has had a LP stove put in and its nice. somehow the fire is lit and taters end up in the coals. If you have the means, no need to go hungary (especially if you dont have to carry it in).

Last year we had 4 guys in camp and I brought enough food for 8 for the 2 weeks we were there. we have a polaris ranger just set up to bring in the food.

Thumbs up Here's a Menu for you!

Here's a sample menu from one of my float hunts. I have several others I work off of, along with food lists with exact quantities. I mix and match off of these menus depending on the preferences of my hunters. Prep time is absolutely crucial on some hunts. Most of the time, if you've been out hunting all day, the last thing on your mind when you roll into camp is spending an hour getting dinner ready. Most of my foods are prepared ahead of time and frozen. We use real food, the stuff we'd eat at home. I simply take out that day's dinner in the morning so it can thaw. Yes, it's all frozen ahead of time and becomes its own ice in my 48-qt cooler. I take along another similar-sized cooler for fresh fruit, salads, etc. The salad bags usually only last four or five days, that's why you see more salads early in the hunt.

The snack bags you see on the lunch menu are gallon ziplock bags that are packed before the hunt and contain dried fruit, jerky, candy bars, granola bars, nuts, cookies and such. We keep all the snack bags in one large bag; to make a lunch, all you do is make a sandwich, put it in a ziplock and toss it in a snack bag. This goes in your pack with you. I might also toss in a couple of freeze-dried meals in my pack in case we get stuck out overnight. These stay in my pack all the time until we need them.

I tighten up my cleanup time too, by using foil when I can, and using Chinet paper plates, which we burn in the fire. Each hunter gets their own coffee mug, bowl and utensils which they are responsible for. Usually we only have to rinse with hot water and wipe with paper towels to clean, but we have soap and scrubber sponges for that too.

-Mike

__________________________________________________ ______________
    Day 1 (fly in)
    Lunch Prep. Time: 10 minutes
    Snack bag, sandwiches
    Dinner Prep. Time: 20 minutes
    Grilled steaks, salad, vegetable, bread
    Day 2
    Breakfast Prep. Time: 15 minutes
    Bacon & eggs, fried potatoes, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Grilled salmon fillet, salad, vegetable, rice
    Day 3
    Breakfast Prep. Time: 5 minutes
    Cereal, fruit, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Thai noodle dinner with prawns, rice, fruit
    Day 4
    Breakfast Prep. Time: 10 minutes
    Stir fry (rice- leftover from dinner, egg, cheese, zucchini, green onion, mushroom), fruit, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Dinner Prep. Time: 15 minutes
    Ham, augrauten potatoes, salad, vegetable
    Day 5
    Sausage & eggs, fried potatoes, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Grilled steaks, fried potatoes, vegetable, salad
    Day 6
    Yogurt/fruit/granola mix, bagels, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Grilled hamburgers, macaroni & cheese, fruit
    Day 7
    Scrambled eggs with little smokies sausage, fried potatoes, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    BBQ chicken strips, stuffing, fruit salad
    Day 8
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Spaghetti w/meatballs, vegetable, salad, bread
    Day 9
    Pancakes, bacon, fruit, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Grilled salmon fillet, fried rice, fruit salad
    Day 10
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    Ribs, tangy pork & beans (add BBQ sauce & shot of Tabasco), vegetable, fruit salad
    Day 11 (fly out)
    Sausage scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, hot drinks
    Sandwiches, snack bag
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Camp Grub

Me and hunting partner have a spot where we can ride our 4-wheelers in for sheep. We make meals just as we would at home. Then we vacum seal and freeze everything. On the morning we leave in the truck we put our food in a cooler with ice. We keep it in the cooler until the ice melts. Then we put it in a ice cold stream that run's off the moutain. Then when it comes time to eat it we boil it in its vacum sealed bag and eat it out of the bag like a MRE. I really do not like doing dishes at camp. All we have to clean up is our fork or spoon. Also we take in coupious amount of barley pops (beer). Nothing better than haveing a beer after hiking the hills for the last two days........Don

Default Bou Camp

Our standard bill of fare...(we use it on every backcountry trip and believe it or not, we do not tire of it...)

Breakfast
    Coffee
    Instant Oatmeal
    Bagel with chunky peanut butter

Lunch - pre packaged before trip.
    1 cup GORP
    1 Clif Bar
    1 pack (6ea) cheese/crackers
    12 caramels
    2 water bottles

Dinner (per man)
    1 pack of Lipton noodles/sauce or rice/sauce or Stove Top Stuffing.
    1 can chicken/salmon/tuna, etc...
    1 bagel with butter.

We may vary the qty of calories depending on climate, elevation, etc...

Anyone who lives on the lower Yukon R. and doesn't bring King Salmon strips with them for camp food has something wrong with them.............hahahahaha!
    (sorry, just teasing)
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default You're Right MT...

I realized that after I had posted...I wuz diggin in my fridge to cook some corned beef macaroni & saw the strips & then realized that I forgot to add that...the people who usually bring me out though, always have dripping fat king salmon strips....:P slrrrpppp!!!!!!

Thumbs up Thanksgiving dinner

My father in law and I came up with a great dinner for moose camp one year. We used canned chunk chicken, Cream of Chicken soup (powder form mixed up thick), and Stove Top stuffing. Mixed the chicken and the soup together then poured it over the stuffing. All that was missing was the cranberry sauce!

We typically travel pretty light and go easy on the canned goods. A lot of dehydrated stuff can be doctored up to be quite good with some seasoning and canned meat added. We use Crystal light for beverages and mix them up in our Nalgene bottles. Bagels are better than regular bread due to the compact nature and there is more energy building nutrition in the dense bagel bread than in the same volume of regular white or wheat. MRE's are always a good way to go since they are compact, self contained and high in calories.

Beer.....sure is nice to have a few available. I will usually only pack one or two apiece for a celebratory festivity after a successful hunt. I have found hunting partners who indulge in the 18 pack have a much harder time getting up before daylight!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Holy cow

How about

1) 2 bags instant oats with 1 scoop protein shake powder and beef jerky for breakfast
    2)beef jerky, Clif bar, nut and fruit mix, and energy gels through the day for lunch and snack
    3) Endurox R4 drink powder (2 packs per day)
    4) 1 cup cous cous, 2 chicken cubes, and the usual sachet d'herbs for dinner.
    5) Chocolate covered raisins for a treat
    6) peppermint tea

It put a sheep in the freezer this year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Anyone who lives on the lower Yukon R. and doesn't bring King Salmon strips with them for camp food has something wrong with them.............hahahahaha!
    (sorry, just teasing)
    I usually hunt with either the gf's family or one of my friends either out in Kaiyuh or up the Koyukuk. Since we're in boats we bring an entire kitchen with us, but the king salmon strips always go along.
    I might bring a half-a-dozen MREs along to throw in my daypack, but they rarely get eaten.

My grub list looks similar to gogoalie's except I cut back on some of the carb heavy stuff like the ravioli and lasagna and replace it with more protein usually more Spam.
    Now what ?