Thread: Buying a beagle

Default Buying a beagle

I'm buying a little beagle to train for rabbits and maybe even some birds.

It's a little 7 week old pup. Now what kind of pointers would you suggest. To make her a good little rabbit dog.

a eagle will eat your beagle.
    Semper Fi!

Wouldn't dobt it. I've had em do it two two cats now.

Nice lookin pup!

She sure is a great looking pup andrew. I bought my pup in arkansas too. You should have some training pens somewhere near you. Those are basiclly an acre or 2 thats enclosed that has a rabbit or two in it and basiclly you just turn your pup loose in there. If your pup has the hunt in her shell figure it out. Also just taking her out in the woods and letting her roam will bring her into the hunt too. Dragging a rabbit hide (fresh one) around is good training too

TRAIN her to come on command. This is about the only thing you need to train her to do. Everything else will come naturally. THere is alot of danger for a beagle out here in Alaska. Wolves, coyotes, traps, moose and your average yahoo wich seems to frequent good rabbit grounds so coming to heel is a much needed command.

SO how big was your pups parents? 13" or 15"

Whats some of her breeding?

Finally here is my favorite beagling forum, you should introduce yourself and inquire about training pens there. http://americanbeagler.huntingboards.com/index.php

Thanks so much for the help. I'll work on those things.

Default Rosco P. Coltrane

Here's Rosco P. He's made it through a year and a couple months of wild alaska, so far, so good!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

u should get a large dog incase you have to eat it to survive.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

I'm thinkin about getting one of them big dogs and putting a pack on his back. Then he can tote his share of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    I'm thinkin about getting one of them big dogs and putting a pack on his back. Then he can tote his share of gear.
    Just getting a big dog so he can carry his stuff on his back sounds counterproductive. IF you dont get a big dog then there is no extra stuff to carry. THere really isnt any gear to take anyway for a day of hunting. Maybe Im missing the point of why you want to get a big dog?

I bought a pack for my dog. Problem is that dogs arent really meant to carry stuff on their backs. They can carry some stuff like maybe some shells, a snack or their leash, but thats about it. Somewhere online there is a chart that shows you how much a dog with a given weight can carry safely. And its not much.

Just get another beagle if you want two dogs. They work great as a team. Another dog of different breeding will just hamper your rabbit hunting. I know cause I bring my pointer on my rabbit hunts and she screws it up on a regular basis.

might be wise to get a small dog so it eats less.. who knows 2 sides to that coin.
    Semper Fi!

DSCN0050.jpg
    Here's my beagle
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default nice pup

that looks like a good little pup....and yes you have to watch out for eagles and all kinds of critters that will want to eat it...i know i worry about mine because when she is chasing a rabbit it sounds like something has her and is shaking her.....i've just taken her out into the woods and she finds rabbits now and then....glennallen and east and up on the denali are awesome for rabbits.....i took mine up there and she was either sleeping or chasing rabbits...does anyone know of any training pens in the valley or in anchorage ...i have yet to find one...some of the neighborhoods have populations of feral domestics that are fun to trap and run and kill.....stupid people letting them go in the first place...i would definately get a fresh skin and let it play with it and drag it and hide it and give it treats for finding it....let it find it and if it gets it in its mouth trade the hide for treats...i also tied a hide to a gatorade bottle with dirt in it and tied that to a good length of string....you can spin slowly in circles and the pup will chase it ....hopefully she will start barking while she is running....mine wont...she only makes noise if it is the real deal......only rabbits and cats.....and when she was a pup she used to bark at large dark stationary objects too....i think she's over that though...if you have never had beagles before...you are in for a treat.....they are tons and tons of fun...when they listen....."come" is a probably the biggest command...its the only one mine really listens to....i got her a shock collar when she was pretty young and only used it for "come"....now she comes pretty good outside, but only when she really wants to in the house...so i just have to press the button that makes the collar beep and she gets the idea...i think she thinks "well i'm in the house you can see me shut up...i'm sleeping/eating/sniffing/ripping apart my stuffed rabbit".....she is really a great dog though and she is loads and loads of fun and its great just to listlen to her bawl chasing rabbits...have fun
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I mean for carryin stuff to my camp. I'm wantin to move to alaska.

Question that is true

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    a eagle will eat your beagle.
    But can a beagle, keagle?

Default On the serious side

I have a beagle named Cache. He is going on 10 years old and could care less if twenty rabbits were doing the conga dance around him. He'd just lay back, tapping his foot, and watch. He'll chase a squirrel up a tree now and then but thats about it. Cache was born in Palmer at a Beagle farm, sorry I can't recall the name. Purebred..papers, etc. One word of caution...beagles can be very high maintenance. He made me appreciate having a cat...lol Cache got his name because he would cache all loose socks, clothing, toys, etc, under the couch (which was only about 4 inches high underneath). Anyway, here is picture of Cache (on top) and his former (and unfortuantely late) girlfriend, Abigail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well Andrew, youll find that your big dog wont pack in enough stuff on his back to make it worth your while. Get a couple of pack goats instead. Im serious, Research them. They might be just the ticket for ya!