Thread: What I Muzzload Hunt With

Default What I Muzzload Hunt With

Just for those who think I only hunt with a Mark V modern rifle here is what I hunt with when I go muzzle load hunting.

I have a 45Cal Muzzleloader pistol that is special made. The man who makes this Muzzleloader for me has made them for 25 years using a Trapper kit and putting a special barrel on it and reworking the lock system and breech area and plug for consistent ignition as well as refinishing the stock.

My load for all around use is sighted in at 2" high at 50yds and is dead on at 100yds with a 285gr semi hollow point special made conical using 60grs Triple Seven and it clocks 1288fps. I can carry this all day long and shoot in the tightest spots and make shots out to 125yds with confidence.

I can shoot a 4 inch 44mag Redhawk using a 320gr cast bullet moving 1165fps hit a 100yds and I can shoot this one out to 125yds even more accurately than I can with my modern 44mag revolver and with more energy to boot.

This will really work well in tight thick places or when needed to shoot in any direction from a tree stand and is also quick to bring to bear when stalking and need to make a fast shot.

45 cal.
    14 inch barrel custom rifled and lapped
    Brown finish
    1 in 18 twist
    Re-finished stock
    This pistol can shoot anywhere from round balls to 325gr bullets at hunting/target grade accuracy!
    -.445 round ball pyrodex all loads 40gr 1306 F.P.S.
    -265gr flat point 55gr 1325 F.P.S.

-285gr Hollow point 60grs Triple Seven 1288fps
    325gr conical using 60grs Triple Seven 1228fps
    -410gr flat point 55gr 1198 F.P.S.
    All volositys chronographed at 30ft. from muzzle.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Just for those who think I only hunt with a Mark V modern rifle here is what I hunt with when I go muzzle load hunting.
    Looks like a dandy and a whole lot of fun. I more or less moved on to muzzleloader rifle hunting when my eyes got too old to handgun hunt any more. In the crossover, I missed the chance to get serious about using a ML handgun. Based on my experience with modern handguns and traditional muzzleloaders however, I can certainly verify the lethality of the kind of loads you're reporting.

Any thought of going to a larger caliber just for fun? I ask only cuzz these days I'm shooting mostly 54 caliber and 58 caliber, with plans to build a 62 soon. Seems like carrying a pistol and rifle in the same caliber would be a good idea--- that is if you could hang onto the pistol when you lit it off!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Looks like a dandy and a whole lot of fun. I more or less moved on to muzzleloader rifle hunting when my eyes got too old to handgun hunt any more. In the crossover, I missed the chance to get serious about using a ML handgun. Based on my experience with modern handguns and traditional muzzleloaders however, I can certainly verify the lethality of the kind of loads you're reporting.

Any thought of going to a larger caliber just for fun? I ask only cuzz these days I'm shooting mostly 54 caliber and 58 caliber, with plans to build a 62 soon. Seems like carrying a pistol and rifle in the same caliber would be a good idea--- that is if you could hang onto the pistol when you lit it off!!!!!
    I thought of doing so but I really like the 45 cal at these energies and velocities when using conical and because of their BC they seem to be consistent in accuracy at 100 - 130yds and they give great penetration on game so far with complete pass through. Also, I am sending him a Tradition Hawken rifle in 50cal and will have him put a special barrel on it and sights along with lock work and percussion work for ignition consistency and it will be in 45 Cal pushing velocities of 1800fps plus using 325gr bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice piece of work, I would be scared to scratch it, but if it was mine it would have some scratches

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    This will really work well in tight thick places or when needed to shoot in any direction from a tree stand and is also quick to bring to bear when stalking and need to make a fast shot.
    When I first read this kinda quickly, I thought you wrote "This will really work well when stalking a brear or in a tree stand and needed to shoot quick in any direction to make a fast shot"

I can see I was mistaken eh....

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Nice piece of work, I would be scared to scratch it, but if it was mine it would have some scratches

When I first read this kinda quickly, I thought you wrote "This will really work well when stalking a brear or in a tree stand and needed to shoot quick in any direction to make a fast shot"

I can see I was mistaken eh....
    That is just to funny MontanaRifleman
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is a closer and better picture of the pistol and bullets

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Years ago...

I put one together much the same pattern as yours. Enjoyed it a lot. Mine was a 50, however, and I split the stock. Seems it didn't much care for 110 grs. of FF and patched round ball as a steady diet!

This pistol is a custom job by Jim Gleason and he is building a 45cal. rifle for me off a old Traditions Hawken 50cal rifle I have. It will have one of his special 31" barrels with 1 and 18 twist and shoot a 350gr bullet between 1900fps and 2000fps and will be a 250yd rifle. It will be a perfect match in stock as well as barrel finish and all hardware the same as my pistol.

My 45Cal Pistol can even shoot a 500gr bullet and you had better hold on when you pull the trigger because this is one stout load. What is amazing is I can shoot from a 40gr ball to a 325gr bullet and have target grade groups and 410 -500 gr bullets and have very good hunting grade accuracy. I should have the rifle some time after the first of the year and down hear where I live I will get to use it in the last primitive weapons hunt from the middle of January to the middle of Feb.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are pictures of the bullets I shoot in the pistol and some more pictures of my cap-lock 45 cal. pistol.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks nice. Kill anything with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Looks nice. Kill anything with it?
    1 coyote, 4 whitetail, one 3x3 muley, and two hogs and the only reason that more have hot fallen is that I hunt most of my hunts in modern rifle season. But hopefully this year I will hunt the Dec black powder which is two weeks and the last half of Jan and fist half of Feb which is four weeks during the last primitive season. We will see how this year turns out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I like the fine sights you have on your rig.

Also did your ram rod used to be an Easton XX78 Game Getter? I've been using those thick shanked arrows for ramrods for years. We should get a patten on that!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I like the fine sights you have on your rig.

Also did your ram rod used to be an Easton XX78 Game Getter? I've been using those thick shanked arrows for ramrods for years. We should get a patten on that!
    That is what it is and they work great.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That is one fine looking pistol beartooth and your photography is excellent as usual!!!

BTW I joined the Mark V fraternity yesterday...got a great deal on Mark V Synthetic in .340 WM.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    That is one fine looking pistol beartooth and your photography is excellent as usual!!!

BTW I joined the Mark V fraternity yesterday...got a great deal on Mark V Synthetic in .340 WM.
    Hey congrats man, that is cool. I will look for pictures from you on the forum and load development.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey thanks and great on getting the 340 Weatherby.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS