Thread: gun safe

Default gun safe

looking for a worthy gun safe to hold about 10 guns or less. does anybody know a good brand and where to buy in the fairbanks area. thanks

Default Safes

I picked up a Winchester 24 gun safe at Sam's Club for about $650, though they are carrying a different one now. Good safe, good reviews, and good fire protection rating. If that doesn't work for you they have a bunch at Sportsman's as well. Good luck!

Fuse

Quote Originally Posted by kvahlsing@acsalaska.net View Post
    looking for a worthy gun safe to hold about 10 guns or less. does anybody know a good brand and where to buy in the fairbanks area. thanks

Default Wait

UNLESS you intend to put it behind the seat in your truck; a 10 gun safe is WAY too small.
    Today it might hold the firearms you own BUT it soon will be too small and will require a supplimental safe or replacement. BUY a safe that is 3 times larger than you think you need. In a year or so you'll be glad you did.
    Just ask anyone on this forum !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default yes sir

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    UNLESS you intend to put it behind the seat in your truck; a 10 gun safe is WAY too small.
    Today it might hold the firearms you own BUT it soon will be too small and will require a supplimental safe or replacement. BUY a safe that is 3 times larger than you think you need. In a year or so you'll be glad you did.
    Just ask anyone on this forum !!
    I would have to agree!! I thought that i was being good for ONCE and bought one that was a little smaller to save some money and it didn't take long before I was made at myself. Buy the biggest one that you can afford. The main thing is that it VERY HEAVY!!! Makes it hard for the thieves

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

a bit about safes and fire ratings....

in 2003 my house burned down.. I don't live in a fire service district. a safe with a one hour rating needs to be on an OUT SIDE wall where the fire dept can be cooling it while the house is going up... my log home went to over 7000 degrees according to the insurance and forestry guys who showed up( they made sure no trees went up) every thing in the safe was toast... it was a browning 10 gun.. and it was shrunk to about 20" tall by the time the house cooled. Blaze king stove ( the big one) was nearly melted away... the fire rating is how long things will last while things around it burn if the fire is being fought with water....call and ask any fire adjuster. also... take photos and record serial numbers and file that with your home owners insurance.. most will not cover anything valued OVER 1000.00 unless declared. also you will get a depreciated value of your weapons.. and we all know good guns don't loose value..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have been shopping for and researching safes here in Fairbanks for a few weeks now. As far as I'm concerned the only safe in town worth buying is the AMSEC (American Security) BF6032 at Action Locksmiths. AMSEC BF series safes ALL the other safes in town have no thicker than 12 gauge metal and all have sheetrock fire insulation. The only exception is the Browning Medalions at SW that have 10 gauge metal. But, you can still hack through that with a fire axe. One layer of steel is all it is. Sure looks pretty though and it's 2900 bucks.

The AMSEC is a 10 gauge outer with 14 gauge inner wall and cement fire barrier in between which adds to the strength. Plus it has a 1/2 inch thick plate door. It's $2660 plus delivery of about 200 bucks across town. It weighs 810 lbs. But, I can actually buy online and get the next size larger the AMSEC BF 6030 (940 lbs)delivered to my door for $2500. Go figure. Can't go wrong with an AMSEC But, here is the safe to buy I'm thinking.
    Sturdy Safe

No frills, heavy duty and factory direct purchasing. Do some research, 7 gauge walls (that's 3/16) 14 gauge liner, 5/16 door and fiber insulation. Check out the sturdy safe website and google sturdy safe. They are the real deal. Here is a video of a total home burn down and the only thing left standin is the sturdy safe. Burn down I guess over the past 50 years they developed their fire retardant system by putting safes in houses that the fire dept then torched for some kind of training.

Contact them for prices. They are less than AMSEC's locally including shipping.
    Last edited by Snyd; 10-14-2008 at 20:29.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Has anyone done any research on Patriot safes, i called the guy today and he said it would be 2198 for the collector delivered to north pole with all the upgrades. Some of the upgrades included 5 inch door with fire rating of 2 hours at 1880 degrees, 3 hinged door, electric lock with all chrome fixtures on the exterior. It all sounds good but i dont have any first hand knowledge of the safe. They also have a replacement warranty for fire, attempted break in or failure for life of the safe while owned by the original buyer. Thanks for any help.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/main.php

Default Intumescent.... Check this out

Forgive me if this is too far off subject but it seemed to fit in my mind...

Speaking of fire rating - I was researching this stuff called Intumescent Paint. It's a latex based paint that has a 1 hour fire rating. It sells for about $60 a gallon. It was developed for steel architecture that requires a fire rating.

Look it up on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intumescent

There are several name brands but I think it could be added to any steel cabinet and therefore create a 1 hour fire rating. (or added to an already fire rated safe for extra protection.

I agree the safe will still become an oven and bake everything inside if the fire is not controlled...

I'm researching its use on an exposed steel structural beam in my garage. The code enforcement wants the beam wrapped in 5/8" sheet rock. I'm in the process of processing the paper work for approval. I want the beam exposed so I can attach my 2 ton trolley.

Anyway, this stuff was new to me and I've been looking for an opportunity to share...