Thread: 9 October 08

Default 9 October 08

Went out early. Took and tried to make it to "Duck Lake". Good luck with all of that. We tried for over an hour and couldn't get the boat up the bank. Too steep. So we walked for a little while trying to jump shoot. The lake had a thin layer of ice on it and wasn't too productive. We started back and ran into a flock of teal, managed to get 4 of them. Then moved to Maud Lake. Knocked down a mallard drake in full color, and a nice hen, then the wind picked up and blew us off the lake. Better luck next time.

How big is your boat?

And what side ? Knik or rabbit slough.

We put in at Rabbit Slough and traveled down the slough towards the lake. The boat is I think around 12 to 14 foot. With the tide going out I think that was a lot of our trouble and the fact that we didn't have enough muscle to get it up the bank with all the gear. We gave it a good try, but ended up leaving.

Default hmm

Did you go to the portage at the first shack? I know some of the boats people portage there, take 3 or more people. Thats why I go light. I may have to unload the boat and take off the motor. But I can do it in 15 min.. by my self, if I'm in a hurry. Maybe you had a way heavy motor. You do know there is a 20 hp limit in the lake. Also some people have winches. I have one thats been kicking around here for a few years. Maybe it's time I put it to use. I should be going down in the am Aiming to be at the portage at 6. If your there I will help you out Don't be late. I wait for no one. Unless they have something to add to the pot.

Default Thanks AK Duckman

I appreciate the offer. Yes the portage at the first shack is where we attempted to get the boat up the bank. I think that the long shaft on the motor with the weight of the boat had a whole lot to do with it. I even put myself in the water trying to "squat" the thing up the make shift ramp. I don't blame you for not waiting on anyone, I am the same way myself, when I make plans. That trip was my first time to duck lake, I am new to the whole duck hunting, but it is addictive and I have enjoyed the season thus far. My buddy and I will try in the future, I am thinking that the lake is frozen over by now. Thanks again.