Thread: meat processing equip?

Default meat processing equip?

Well we are getting ready to purchase a complete set up to process. I was looking at the cabelas stuff and some looks good and other people are complaining about it like their mixer and stuffers not working to well. What brand and models have you found that work well? Grinders, stuffers, mixers etc.... Also any suggestion on a vacuum sealers as well. All help and advice would be appreciated.

seeing that my FoodSaver vacuum-sealer of 3 years just broke, i am looking for a new one myself (see my post on the Pantry forum). I bought another FoodSaver the other day and returned it as the vacuum was not that great and was worse then the one that just broke. looked at some of the ones Cabela's carries.

Also looking for a meat grinder. bought an attachment for my wife Kitchen Aid mixer, and the mixer broke 1/3 of the way into my job, so i had to borrow one from a friend. not sure what brand that was, but it worked well. was electric, with metal grinding parts (the kitchen aid attachment was a lot of plastic parts, which i would probably stay away from, for longevity.)

I just scored on a Hobart buffalo chopper for $50! It is going to cost me another $140 to get the stainless grinder attachment for it but it is the real deal! If you get the chance to pick up true commercial equipment it is awesome! My rig has a #12 grinder and a 18" bowl that rotates with two stainless steel blates that cut up the meat. Bassically you toss the large chunks into the bowl and it chops them up small enough to run through the grinder. In the picture below the grinder fits into the port on the far left.

Talking Meat Processing Equip.

Go to Alaska Butcher Supply in Mountain View, before you order anything. If nothing else, you can see first hand the different equipment you might want or need.---JB
    Last edited by caribou0_0; 10-13-2008 at 13:41. Reason: sp

Default Processing eqp.

Sam's club had some for sale back a few MTH ago don't know if they had some left a grinder an food vac. [not food saver] good stanless steel stuff
    wheren i saw them was the one at Dimond BLVD/old Seward

Default meatcutter supplies

I also recommend AK Butcher Supply. Friendly, knowledgeable, with EXCELLENT customer service, esp. if you want commercial grade equipment!!!

Default Grinder setup

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/electric_grinders I like the 3/4 hp I do about 5 moose and 10 caribou a year. Must have accessories are http://www.lemproducts.com/product/2...er_accessories and http://www.lemproducts.com/product/5...stuffing_tubes. My set up is 4 years old and has never had any problems.

Depends on what you want to do. My roast-type cuts last 2+ years in the freezer simply by double-wrapping in Costco's good plastic wrap, then wrapping in freezer paper. That's quick, and WAY cheaper than vacuum packing.

We ground a bunch of moose in the kitchenaid this year. Worked fine. Went to the meat cutting store over in Mountainview area of Anchorage looking for those little ground meat / sausage bags that you get ground meat in from the butcher, and got some in two sizes. i had planned to close them using hog rings, but they had a little self-cutting bag taping machine that works great, for pretty cheap.

I save vacuum packing for fish, as I don't feel it's needed on any sort of game meat.

No fancy meat knives are needed - I do the bulk of my boning and trimming with my normal hunting knives, a couple of the little Victorinox paring knives, and whatever fillet knives I have around the house. I keep these sharp with a lansky.

If you really want to get set up for vacuum packing, suck it up and by one of the commercial chamber packers. They are vastly superior to the various meal savers. The up side of the chamber packers is, they are faster, the bags are stronger, the bags are less expensive, you dont' suck liquids into the area being sealed, and you don't suck liquids into the pump. If you're processing 100's of pounds of fish from dipnetting, you'll be glad you invested in the right tool.

I have the Vacmaster 15 chamber type sealer (cabelas sells it), I love it. No foodsaver could ever compare as I have smoked two of them now. I also have the biggest slicer cabelas has, it is a beast as well. Study hard, buy once and you will not be dissapointed. I also recommend alaska butchers supply.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Smile

i would have to say that aside from my cabela sealer... the meat cuber is the next best investment i have ....

i bought the Eastman's hand crank cuber/ jerky slicer. comes with both sets of blades and is easy to use... and talk about tender country fried steak........ it is also great to run those end pieces through cube steak and gravy, or stewed.. just fried. the kids can eat every steak run through it with out any issue at all.

it great we love it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    I have the Vacmaster 15 chamber type sealer (cabelas sells it), I love it. No foodsaver could ever compare as I have smoked two of them now. I also have the biggest slicer cabelas has, it is a beast as well. Study hard, buy once and you will not be dissapointed. I also recommend alaska butchers supply.

i am headed to ANch on tues.. were are these guys at?

thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

4507 Mountain View Dr, Anchorage

Coming into town, get off at Bonniface. Head straight across Bonniface, the offramp turns into Mtn. View Drive. It's ~1/2 mile down, on your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Coming into town, get off at Bonniface. Head straight across Bonniface, the offramp turns into Mtn. View Drive. It's ~1/2 mile down, on your right.
    thanks its just down from were my ex lives i can find it...

meet on face book here