Thread: Un-guided moose hunting help

Default Un-guided moose hunting help

Greetings,

Like I said in my post this forum seems to have the most "hunters" of any forum I have ever been in. I have a question, I am considering doing a self guided moose hunt in 1 of three areas. 1.) Wood tik-chik park. 2.) Unit 23 south of Kotzebue. 3.) Unit 9 near King Salmon. If you have hunted these areas of can offer any advice i would appreciate it very, very much. I would be happy to split costs if someone has a place they hunt already or just some advice would be fine.

I am addicted to Alaska!

Riley

Riley,

I conduct do-it-yourself hunts in AK every year - most are solo. Of the places you mentioned, I have hunted and killed a few bulls in Unit 9 on my own. To be honest, the last thing that area can handle is another contractor setting up guided hunts. The place is already crawling with them.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

It's getting harder and harder to get away from the crowd during moose season in Wood-Tikchik. I had friends hunting it this fall that asked to be pulled out due to air taxi's dumping other groups right on top of them. I avoid it for the same reason.

My experience is find a place that nobody talks about. If it's well known it's likley getting pounded by guides and do-it-yourself hunters.

KK

If I was comming up from outside to do a DIY hunt I would definately hire a hunt planner! They are a minor expense compared to the overall outlay of cash and there is a much better chance that your hunt will meet your expectations!

Thanks, I have guided in the wood tik-chik and think it is over crowded. Thought I would try a draw area???

Thanks, I should have clarified that I have guided in Alaska and have hunted many time up there. I am hoping to get some info on some of the draw hunts for non-residents as I think that is where I will have my best luck.

Thanks for the info

Thanks, yes I am looking to get away from the guides...I am a guide but for this hunt want to get as far away from everyone as I can! Do you have a website?

Sorry Don. I see your site on your e-mail. Thanks. Would love to talk more with you.

Riley,

I'd be happy to talk to you. Since you've guided in AK, I might not have a lot to tell you that you already don't know about moose hunting, however. You can email me at outdoorswithdon@aol.com. My cell number is also on my website, if you prefer.

Don

Sounds good Don. I will give you a call.