Thread: Where to Mount Downriggers?

Default Where to Mount Downriggers?

Hello-

Practically speaking how far foward of the transom do you want your downriggers to be on a small skiff? I have a bayrunner. Unfortunately the only place they will easily mount is on a corner triangle shaped flange of aluminum in the very stern of the boat. Whiloe this might not be the most convenient spot might it be okay?

To mount it further forward I would have to get something welded (expensive) or bolt on a piece of metal that I could mount the base plate to. I worry that the metal could twist and tear when the downrigger ball gets hung up on the seafloor.

Does anyone have experience with the rod holder downrigger mounts?

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn...t-adapter.html

Unfortunately I don't think these will solve my problem because my rod holders are built into the bench seat and are several inches below the gunnels.

any advice is appreciated, I'd like to mount these right (Penn Fathomaster's fyi)

I've attached a photo (not the best one-sorry) so you can see the back flange I'm talking about.....it's only wide enough for the downrigger mounts in the very back. Any other ideas?

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bayrunner; 10-13-2008 at 07:28. Reason: change notification

My experience is that the further aft you can mount them the better. Too far forward and when you turn there's more of a chance that your lines will go under your boat.

Default downriggers

I've had them mounted right behind the cabin on my Hewes since 2001 and fish all summer and winter without any problems hanging up on the motors. And it sure is easy to clip on your gear and fight your fish. I swivel the downriggers forward alongside the cabin and they are completly out of the way. Its just easier for me.

Default Corner looks perfect

That's a great spot! REMEMBER TO HAVE WIRE CUTTERS HANDY!

in all 3 of 'my' boats (well.. between my dad and I) we always mount them as far aft as possible so they don't get into the props

I have chartered several differant boats and prefer the rigger as far aft as possible. You can work with a rigger anywhere in the boat but after years downrigger expeirence I would say as aft as possible.

I mounted my downriggers on those aft flanges. They are just fine right there. I been useing the cannon downriggers with the rodholders that are mounted on the top.

The only experience I have with downriggers is on a couple charters I have taken. Both of these charter boats had the downriggers mounted right ON the transom. Now these were large inboard boats, but the downriggers off the back worked like a charm.