Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Vacuum-Sealer / Food Saver

Default Food Vacuum-Sealer / Food Saver

My FoodSaver of 3 years just gave out on me. I bought the FoodSaver 2440 (i think that is the number) at Fred Meyers and I have to say it's vacuum isn't that great, worse then the one that just broke. I returned it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good food vacu-sealer? I saw some sold by Cabela's. The new one I bought and returned recently was $139. I would like to stay around $150 but am willing to pay more for something that will last a long time. Over 3 years I used it a moderate amount for salmon, but nothing excessive. The heating element gave out on that one. Thanks!

I don't think any of the non commercial ones are all that great. I did buy a foodsaver unit (?model number) at Costco and it is the best one I have used. If memory is correct it was $239. I still think that the small portable units are not designed to do what I do with fish and moose meat. The Costco unit has a removable tray that allows you to clean out accumulated moisture. if the moisture gets into the vacuum system, it is toast.

Check out Alaska Butcher's Supply in Anchorage.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 10-13-2008 at 14:56. Reason: spelling

I bought the unit that Cabela's sell for around $400. I have used it for 2 years now and it seems to be working fine. The downside is that it is recommended to use the Cabela's bags only for the unit. These bags are a heavier plastic than the foodsaver bags. I have done alot of silvers and caribou with the unit so far and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Unalakleet yooper View Post
    I bought the unit that Cabela's sell for around $400. I have used it for 2 years now and it seems to be working fine. The downside is that it is recommended to use the Cabela's bags only for the unit. These bags are a heavier plastic than the foodsaver bags. I have done alot of silvers and caribou with the unit so far and no problems.
    is there still a way to use the rolled bags from food saver with that unit?

good question on the bags. i didn't read that part in the product description, and the only reason i could think of (other then getting your $ for bags for several years) is that the thinner bags might melt through with a slightly stronger heating/sealing element.

Default Food saver

While processing caribou this year our old vacuum sealer gave out. We ended up ordering the CG-15 from Cabela's. It sure was an upgrade from the others that we have had. The questions on bags, all I can say is that we used the regular bags and so far have not had any issues. The big thing that I have seen so far is the width of the sealing area. It is a lot wider. A plus is that one can order replacement parts for the CG-15.
    So far we have been happy with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    good question on the bags. i didn't read that part in the product description, and the only reason i could think of (other then getting your $ for bags for several years) is that the thinner bags might melt through with a slightly stronger heating/sealing element.
    The minimum requirement for a countertop vacuum sealer should be adjustable vacuum and adjustable seal bar time.

Alaska Butcher Supply has bags in several sizes that are far better than Foodsaver products. They also sell and service sealers.

Thanks, I'll try AK Butchers supply

I have used the foodsaver bags and they work and I agree, the seal strip is alot larger on this unit than a foodsaver unit. I have nothing but compliments for this unit so far.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    My FoodSaver of 3 years just gave out on me. I bought the FoodSaver 2440 (i think that is the number) at Fred Meyers and I have to say it's vacuum isn't that great, worse then the one that just broke. I returned it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good food vacu-sealer? I saw some sold by Cabela's. The new one I bought and returned recently was $139. I would like to stay around $150 but am willing to pay more for something that will last a long time. Over 3 years I used it a moderate amount for salmon, but nothing excessive. The heating element gave out on that one. Thanks!
    we just purchased the stainless one cabala sells for just under 400 bucks... what a difference... i have used a ton to those ones Fred's, Sam's, cost co sells... and they have all failed... my recommendation... spend the money get the good one... fast easy. and does such a good job..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince: Will the cabelas sealer work with the standard food saver bags?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Vince: Will the cabelas sealer work with the standard food saver bags?
    it does and you can set the sealing time down on it to keep from melting them.. it is really easy to use.. slight pressure on the lid till the vacuum kicks in you don't have to squeeze it like the other brands.... the cabelas bags that came with it i set on #4 and the food saver bags was on #3...i think if you turned it all the way up you could almost seal PVC i just left the vacuum set on auto..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

alina03

Smile Food Vacuum-Sealer / Food Saver

Yeah i agree with yooper.....in Food Saver larger bags is beneficial ....some food needs larger..

Default VacUpack

You need to check this unit out before you decide. I researched this subject along time before I decided to buy this vacuum sealer. Unfortunatly I have not had it long enough to give you a absolute positive recommendation. I will say that so far I am satisfied but I have only vac packed 50+- bags total of some halibut and moose sausage and it worked great. The unique feature on this packer is its able to handle juices/fish slime and you actually clean it by pumping water through it. It is also built to able to work on/replace parts if needed. And adjustable temp on sealing bar and can use all type bags. http://www.vacupack.com/ good luck

Default Liquid?

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    You need to check this unit out before you decide. I researched this subject along time before I decided to buy this vacuum sealer. Unfortunatly I have not had it long enough to give you a absolute positive recommendation. I will say that so far I am satisfied but I have only vac packed 50+- bags total of some halibut and moose sausage and it worked great. The unique feature on this packer is its able to handle juices/fish slime and you actually clean it by pumping water through it. It is also built to able to work on/replace parts if needed. And adjustable temp on sealing bar and can use all type bags. http://www.vacupack.com/ good luck
    Liquid capable seems very important in sealing meats, fish, etc. I have ruined a regular Foodsaver by getting liquid into the machine. Do you guys that have the Cabela's brand have any trouble with liquid? The Vacupack that Predator Control has listed in the web site are listed at $279.99 for one and a deluxe model for $495.00. They seem pretty good but would like to know how they compare? Thanks

I bought my Cabelas CG15 4 years ago after my Foodsaver failed and have sealed multiple moose, bear, and hundreds of Salmon. When we are dip netting it is being used for 4 days straight. It handles liquid fine, there is a tray that liquids are pulled into that can be easily cleaned. It will seal foodsaver bags, but they are so thin that the double pumps will pull the pin bones through them unless you wrap your fillets before sealing. Alaska Butcher sells rolls and bags for it that are thicker that foodsavers and work fine. After 4 years of sealing I give it a hearty thumbs up.

thank you for the info there sir .. i looking around now at the site and found one i think is going to work for my needs ...

Another thumbs up for the Cabela's CG-15! I got tired of my foodsaver overheating and not sealing properly and immediately drove to the Cabela's in my area and bought the CG-15. This thing is bullet proof and sealed a ton of Salmon and a nice Elk cow I shot a while back. My wife uses it for sealing left overs and fish that we catch at home. Foodsaver couldn't hold a candle to the CG-15! For the price, you can't go wrong!

Default Call Food saver

My old (4 years old) one was acting up so I called food Saver Direct, they had me do a couple tests and said yup ya got a problem. So they said well here is what we can do for you, rattled off a couple model numbers and prices. Way cheaper than you could every buy from anywhere so I upgraded.
    Or pay retail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast