Thread: Indian River

Default Indian River

I will be helping a friend work on his cabin next week from Sept 14th to Sept.18th and was wondering if anyone has hunted the area for moose before.I know there are TONS of bears and great fishing but was hoping to do some calling while I was there.Thanks for any info.Steve

My brother has a place up there (that he's been building this summer, incidentally). While I haven't been up there, he tells me that there aren't many moose in the area. No harm in bringing a tag and doing some calling, but he's under the impression that the bears and wolves have put a pretty good hurt on the moose population in the area. Maybe you'll get lucky and come across a bear while you're at it. Good luck!

-Brian

Well Brian tell him that I'll do my best to try to thin some of those bears out.My friend says it's great looking moose country but say's too that he hasn't seen many moose around in years.I think I'll look for some moose sign and just stay put and call for a few days and see what happens.

Default 16B

If this Indian River is in 16B you better have a Tm565/567/569.
    If you want to hunt moose.

The Indian River is in 13E.Open for moose untill Sept. 20th.

steve - Never mind about what I said. The Indian River I was referring to is in Unit 16. Thanks to Rutting Moose for pointing out the restrictions, but I guess that doesn't apply to you either. Good luck anyhow.

-Brian

Default Indian River

I am assuming it is on the Tok Cut-off. There aren't a lot of moose there, but who knows? Lots of bears to be killed, so good luck!

Thanks guys for trying to help.The Indian River that I'm talking about dumps into the Big Sue between Talkeetna and Hurricane along the RR tracks(mile 266).It is in unit 13E.I talked with a guy last night that has a cabin there and he said there is great moose country but also lots of bears.He said the bulls in the area are big though.He said a couple of guys dropped a 58"er 200 yards from the tracks last year.I'll try to do some calling for my friend since we are up there.

i was fishing there this summer and found a huge moose shed not far from the tracks. 3 brows and it had a ton of mass, the base was about 13" around and the whole shed was just thick through. tons of bears and i hear its good for moose???