Thread: wolf ammo

Default wolf ammo

I have a case of Wolf 223's that I aquired with a AK74 a while back. The rifle is gone but I still have the ammo.

Is this stuff fit for plinking when shot out of a bolt gun? Will the steel cases hurt the chamber in any way? Will the case neck expand enough for a tight seal or will they burn dirty? Will they suffice for shooting rocks on the hill side?

Ah! I have no idea, how's that. I have never used any Wolf ammo or steel cases and probably won't but I wan't to know more about your AK74. Was that a 223/5.56x45? I didn't know they ever made such as that either. I don't get out much. The original 1974 Soviet Russian, AK 74 was 220 Russian or 5.45x39. The Finns made some pretty nice rifles in the caliber but I never knew of any in a 5.56x45.

Anyway good luck with the ammo. I don't think there is any reason not to use it in a bolt gun but it will be dirty in everything. How's the weather in Iowa? Snowed about 6 inches here today. Has everybody got there beans out of the field?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, It says right here in this here notebook that I traded 2 German Shorthair Pointer pups sired by National Field Champ Prince Jake of Wildfire to a guy in Wisconsin for the following....1 Russian AK74 rifle, 2 ea Tokarev pistols, 1 BRNO CZ52, 1 case Wolf 62gr fmj ammo and 1 case of 762x25 ammo. I kept the BRNO until the 762x25 ammo for it was gone and I kept the 223 Wolf ammo. The Ak and the Tokarevs exited left at the next gunshow. Thats a lot of guns ago. I always kept better track of my dogs than my guns. The notes also indicate that I got screwed on the deal! Smile!

Until now my assumption had always been that the Wolf ammo and that AK74 went together(I get out a whole lot less than you in general and even less when it comes to those old ratta-tat-tat military guns). Now that I know better you got me wondering how that gun got tagged at the gunshow?? OOPS!

The boys are working on the beans real hard. The corn is untouched and I think thats where the deer are. I'm muzzloading this week and am not seeing much in the woods. 80 degree highs and a 20 mph wind out of the east aren't helping either. Its suppose to rain for two days and then the wind will go NW and the temps are to drop 20-30 degrees. That'll get things going!

I still have an old beat up Savage that used to ride behind the seat in my truck. I think I'll burn up the Wolf stuff in it....can't hurt it any.

The new CZ should be here this week. It won't get fed anything but my tailor mades. By the way, thanks for the heads up on the CZ. Its not exactly what you recommended but once again I got suckered by the blued steel and walnut bug.

Default Elmer & Murphy

A couple of versions of AK were made in 223 for export by the Chinese. Thousands of those semi-auto AK's were imported into the US by Norinco Arms in the late 80's and early 90's. That all stopped with the assault weapons bill. The Wolf ammo that Elmer speaks of is a com-bloc/ mil-spec ammo. It was designed for military use and repacked in commercial boxes for import to the US as well.
    It will shoot fine in a bolt rifle and will leave more of a powder residue than a Nato spec ammo. Just dont point it at anything you don't want to kill. It's probably berdan primed and you most likely won't want to reload.
    I sold hundreds of these rifles and, a semi trucks of ammo in the early 90's.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Murphy, It says right here in this here notebook that I traded 2 German Shorthair Pointer pups sired by National Field Champ Prince Jake of Wildfire
    What was wrong with them???

to a guy in Wisconsin for the following....1 Russian AK74 rifle, 2 ea Tokarev pistols, 1 BRNO CZ52, 1 case Wolf 62gr fmj ammo and 1 case of 762x25 ammo. I kept the BRNO until the 762x25 ammo for it was gone and I kept the 223 Wolf ammo. The Ak and the Tokarevs exited left at the next gunshow. Thats a lot of guns ago.
    A little impulsive I guess?

I always kept better track of my dogs than my guns. The notes also indicate that I got screwed on the deal! Smile!
    Answers the first question...

Until now my assumption had always been that the Wolf ammo and that AK74 went together(I get out a whole lot less than you in general and even less when it comes to those old ratta-tat-tat military guns). Now that I know better you got me wondering how that gun got tagged at the gunshow?? OOPS!
    When I read "Wolf Ammo" I thought it was about shooting wolves...

The boys are working on the beans real hard. The corn is untouched and I think thats where the deer are. I'm muzzloading this week and am not seeing much in the woods. 80 degree highs and a 20 mph wind out of the east aren't helping either. Its suppose to rain for two days and then the wind will go NW and the temps are to drop 20-30 degrees. That'll get things going!
    This weekend was antelope opener and we had horizontal snow for near 2 days which altered my plans (1-2 ft of wet white stuff), so I will be chasing speed goats this weekend (hopefully) instead of scouting for elk for the following weekend

I still have an old beat up Savage that used to ride behind the seat in my truck. I think I'll burn up the Wolf stuff in it....can't hurt it any.

The new CZ should be here this week. It won't get fed anything but my tailor mades. By the way, thanks for the heads up on the CZ. Its not exactly what you recommended but once again I got suckered by the blued steel and walnut bug.
    Have fun with yer new stick

Default from wolf ammo to bird dogs

Montanarifleman;

Long story on the pups. I'll keep it short.

My biggest rival in the bird dog world lived in Wisconsin. My dogs were cleaning up on his at the trials and this was a chance to put a couple of very good pups into some very capable hands right in his backyard. It payed big dividends in the long run.

Impulsive? Me? I have my guns and dogs budget and since I no longer have the dogs its all gun money. I have trimmed it down since retiring to $500/month. That covers gun purchases,ammo/reloading stuff, optics and everything essential to shooting and hunting. $500 doesn't go far. I have been known to be impulsive within that budget however I never touch the bill paying/grocery getting account. So far mother has let me live and has kept me around! Gotta admitt that I have bought my fair share of 22 rifles out of that account for youngsters who have completed their hunter safety class(always with the blessing of their parents first).

EKC, I'm sure you know I was having a little fun with ya And you're right... $500 sure dont go very far these days, especially if you drive an F-250 with a 460

Anyway, It seems to me you make some pretty good investments with that budget. But some time you will have to set aside about 3 months of budget and invest in a Cooper if you haven't already done it, and then another 1 or 2 months for the glass on top