Thread: Questions regarding Polaris 550 Trail RMK??

Default Questions regarding Polaris 550 Trail RMK??

I bought a slightly used 2005 Polaris 550 Trail Rmk this fall. Questions:

1) where the heck do you keep your spare belt? No obvious place under the hood except maybe mounting it on the engine side of the exhaust shield - but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

2) I didn't get a tool kit with it - do they come with one. If so, where do you store it, in the trunk compartment?

3) I need to mount a pintle style (J hook) hitch to pull my 10' Siglin "look-a-like" sled. What kind of hitch/mounting brackets/hardware do you use?

Any tips, tricks, or comments regarding this machine will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My wife has the same machine and she loves it.

I will take a stab at your questions.

(1) I will have to take a look, but I thought there were belt clips on the clutch guard like most all other machines.

(2) A tool kit should have came with it, but the tool kit doesnt consist of much more than a plug wrench, and a couple of screwdirvers. You should be able assemble a set of tools pretty easily. Again if I remember right there is a little compartment on the side of the air box to hold the tools.

(3) This is what I used for a towing hitch. It is very easy to install. I looked around and Fish Creek sales on the Palmer-Wasilla Highway had the best price. Way lower than the dealer.

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.as...arisPGACatalog)

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.as...arisPGACatalog)

Hope it helps

Usually, there are two clips on the belt cover that will hold a spare. Powermadd makes a nice tool box that will mount to the belt cover that holds quite a few tools as well as a spare belt.

The sled should have a tool kit from the factory. Most of the time they are mounted under the hood somewhere. Mine is just above the right hand footwell, but my machine is quite a bit older than yours. Look for a plastic case about 2"x4"x6". Its likely that someone pulled it out along the way and never put it back.

As for the tow hook, Dennis kirk has quite a few. I linked to one that might work for you, but if not, they have many other designs.

Hope that helped!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks guys. The belt/clutch gaurd on these machines has a air duct (directs the air to the vent in the hood - no clips. I can't see anywhere where the typical little black tool box would mount either?

Northriver21 - I was looking at that hitch on-line. Glad to hear you like, it may be the way I go. I will have to compare prices for it, usually no deals in Fbks!

I have two fan 550s in the family. Add one belt clip on your shroud and you can still fit the belt around the duct. The tool kit is on the oil tank like on all recent Polaris machines. The top is black and pulls up at the front end by tabs molded into the plastic. Look just inboard of your brake disc. The most important tool is the clutch spreader for changing belts. Not much else breaks on 550 fan sleds.Trailer hitches are available at the dealers but they're weak. Especially the full pivoting models that have the round rod that's been used for the past few years. They work okay but will suffer fatigue failures. I still use them, I just buy them two at a time and carry the extra flapper/round rod for an on-trail spare.

Thanks. I never would have found the toolkit - l just thought that was part of the oil res! Actually, I might have noticed once I filled the oil res and wondered what that "void" was.

Still not exactly sure about the belt clip on the shroud? Guess I will just buy a clip and go from there.

One more question. My machine doesn't have any screens in the hood vent holes. Looks like there is a place to mount them, but no screens. I am guessing this will be problematic in deep powder. Do you guys buy them aftermarket - screens that can be closed for deep powder riding?

Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry about screens. I have just regular screen material on mine (non "closeable") and have never had a problem. Usually the machines that have fits with snow are those running aftermarket pipes. The snow cools the pipe too much which changes the way the effectiveness of the expansion chamber. If you are sticking with stock pipes, you shouldn't have any problems.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Polaris dealers sell closure kits. Actually, they're more like louver kits with a sliding feature on the main front openings that allows you to open or close off the openings completely. I recommend them for light powder and for really cold temps. Both the 550s in my stable have had the kits added and they get used regularly.

You'll learn to love the fan's outlet vent on cold days. Leave the machine idling when you stop and you'll have a forced air heater to warm your fingers, clear goggles, and dry gloves.

Thank you.

There is also a small space in the rear compartment that you can store your spare belt in. Lift the flap and pull the foam from the rear forward. You have to fold the belt to make it fit but it does.

KK

Default I've been running one...

for trapping since 03. A great machine, but surely want to close the vents when it is -10 or colder. It will ice up if you don't. The factory hitch that comes with the newer ones (the hitch that rotates) is a piece of crap. Go and fine one that is solid and mount it on. My dad bought on 05 and we've blown the engine twice. It was a problem because the Outpost in Fairbanks fixed it twice at no cost. Seems that somehow the heat was creating a vacuum in the oiler and it wasn't getting oil. I am sure they have the problem fixed as we now have an 07 engine and no problems with it. They are nice riding machines with plenty of power and pulling power if needed. I have been on many different machines over many years and my 03 trail RMk is the best "all around" machine that works best for me. I do wish I could afford to buy a ski doo widetrak, but that will have to wait! The newer 05 and up have a much better ride than my 03.

Here's a picture of a fan 550 with a spare belt mounted next to the duct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, it really helps.