Thread: most user friendly muzzleloader...

Default most user friendly muzzleloader...

my dad is retired and wants to get back into deer hunting in pennsylvania...he wants to hunt during muzzleloader season when less hunters are in the woods...What is the most user friendly easiest to operate muzzleloader available?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Prolly a break action inline is the easiest. But I like more primative muzzleloaders. You won't find an inline with me ever.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kadle View Post
    my dad is retired and wants to get back into deer hunting in pennsylvania...he wants to hunt during muzzleloader season when less hunters are in the woods...What is the most user friendly easiest to operate muzzleloader available?
    I'd double check whether it applies to muzzleloaders in general, but to the best of my recollection PA has a special flintlock season. If you're aiming for that you won't find any inlines, but Lyman makes their Deerstalker flinter in stainless, and there's a cap version too. Can't remember for sure, but I think TC offers the same in their New Englanders. If you can use cappers in other seasons than the flintlock season in PA, that's not as big a question.

I own both inlines and traditional, and the whole thing about inlines being easier to clean is internet myth as far as I can tell. No easier or harder to clean either traditional or inline.

If your definition of "user friendly" includes versatile, the traditional style wins hands down. They're really excellent with light and heavy loads, round balls and conicals. If all I owned was inlines, I probably wouldn't be doing much shooting except just before the season. Using traditionals however, I'm usually shooting 100-200 a month. For this old retired guy, it doesn't get much more user friendly than that!

Brownbear is correct, for the late season muzzleloader season you must use a flintlock rifle. You can now use conical bullets but no sabots. For the early season, antler-less only, muzzleloader season anything goes just so long as it has open sights.

Flintlocks are fun to shoot but I have had poor luck in the field, it always seem to be damp out when I hunted. The traditional caplocks are a good gun and easy to shoot. You can fire multiple shots without cleaning the bore, especially with conicals.
    The inlines are now my favorite. You must clean the bore after every shot to get the sabot down the tube and cleaning is not that much easier since you have to clean the breach plug out. I spend more time on that than I do the bore. I do however like the simplicity of using the pellets over loose power and that is the only real advantage of inline imho.

If you decide to get him a caplock, look into a used Thompson/Center Greyhawk. They are no longer in production, but often show up on Gunbroker.com, Auctionarms, and such. I bought a used one for less than $200.
    It is of a traditional design, but stainless steel with a synthetic stock. I use old-fashioned black powder in it, and it cleans up in a jiffy with hot water and soap.
    First trip to the range, I experienced several misfires. I replaced the nipple, and it has never since failed to fire.
    I'd call that about as 'user friendly' as a muzzleloader can be.

Jeff

For the winter flint season I use a Lyman Trades Rifle. Its a little longer than the Deer Stalker and for the doe only fall season which started this past Saturday I use a TC Omega inline. I actually think the Lyman is easier to clean since there is only 1 pin holding the barrel to the stock rather than 2 screws on the TC plus you don't have to take out the breech plug. If using an inline with a scope I would definitely use quick detach scope mounts so you can take the scope off when cleaning. I do this since I usally clean my barrel in a bucket. As far as which one is easier to use I would say the inline IF you use the powder in pellet form since there is no measuring. Also the inline avoids the issue of your flint giving you good spark. I do love the winter flint lock season and I would be happy if they made the fall season flint lock only.

How many muzzleloader seasons do they have in PA now? Before I left there was only one, the flinter season that was after all the rifle hunters culled the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    How many muzzleloader seasons do they have in PA now? Before I left there was only one, the flinter season that was after all the rifle hunters culled the herd.
    Pretty sure there are two muzzleloader seasons in PA now. One that started this past weekend, and the traditional late flintlock season that starts after Christmas. I believe with the October season, you can use in-lines, but they have to have open sights. It's been about 10 years since I left PA and haven't been back to hunt since, so I haven't kept too current on recent changes.

You have the seasons correct but you can use a scope on an inline during the fall doe only season. I shot a doe this past Saturday with one. They did change the flint season license slightly. It use to be that if you had an unfilled back tag you could shoot either a buck or doe with that tag any where in the state. Now to shoot a doe you must have a valid doe tag for the management unit you are hunting. You can still shoot a buck any where with your unfilled back tag that comes with the general license.