Thread: USMC Shooting jacket

Default USMC Shooting jacket

How are these things ? never used one but I have shoulder issues and need to soften the recoil of my M1A as much as I can

If you're planning on doing competitive shooting, forget it.

Get a real shooting jacket from Champion's Choice. If you buy one, size down 1, as they're supposed to be tight; and these seem to fit big.

If not, go ahead and get one, but I think one of those strap on shoulder pads would work better in softening recoil.

Is there "one" USMC shooting jacket? I have had 2 different ones that were issued to me when I shot competitively with the corps. The first had an all cloth padding but I sold it because it got too small for me. The one I kept has a textured rubber shoulder pad with some kind of padding under it and large padded rubber elbow pads. On the tag it says 10X Sporting Clothing, no military markings. In the corps it worked great for 600 yard prone comp, would cinch the sling around my arm just above the elbow pad and had it pull down on the pad. Now it works very well for big bores off the bench... but then again I don't have a shoulder problem and that could put a whole different perspective on things!

Default Shooting jackets

I have both the standard Marine Corp fabric jacket and a Champion's Choice leather jacket. The fabric jacket will protect elbows and some recoil from the shoulder pad, but no support.

The Champion's Choice leather jacket is a very good shooting jacket, BUT I have an even better jacket from Creedmore. These are the top of the line jackets for match and HIgh Power with excellent support... especially their "hard back". Properly adjusted, this coat provides maximum support.

I use the Marine jacket for working up dangerous game loads because of the pads. For competition, I need the support of the dedicated jackets.

If you're just looking to handle recoil you may be better off with one of the PAST strap-on's that are available.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Yup pad works good for that purpose. I like it.

I have a Creedmore jacket, which lessens the recoil a bit off of the bench and the elbow pads are nice.

The green shooting jackets don't do much for recoil. they provide elbow protection and protection from a tight sling. They don't do too much for supporting the off hand postition either.

get the pad.

usmc shooting jacket gets a A+ from me!
    Semper Fi!

Check out these guys as well. They have "basic", less expensive jackets all the way up to top of the line. They have lots of good gear and support shooters.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=248

most guys probably are not shooting to their jackets potential anyhow.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    most guys probably are not shooting to their jackets potential anyhow.
    You got that right! Luckily I only got a basic canvas jacket! I haven't been "limited" by my equipment yet...