Thread: Hibernation

Default Hibernation

I wanted to hunt black bears this weekend but I heard they were going into hibernation. I looked at the threads and found that marmot could be hunted in Hatcher's Pass, but they also hibernate. Are these animals hibernating right now or not? If so, when?

Where is this Buffalo Mine Road I hear of? Can't find it on maps...hear there is good grouse hunting there.

Went off of the Knik River access road off of Glenn Highway today to hunt rabbits with my .17 HM2. What a disaster that was in the brush. Ended up getting frustrated and shooting at them with my backup .45 instead, again to no avail. Weren't more than 3 rabbits between me and two other guys that we saw over there today. Must be getting a lot of hunting pressure this year over those parts.

Maybe it's time to start looking at Kenai more closely for hunting?

Default don't believe everything you hear

There are plenty of bears still out.

The knik river area is one of the most overhunted area for rabbits
    I dont even bother going there, ill spend the extra gas and go elsewhere. Usually rabbits there but between the bullets flying around and the trash ...no thanks.

When do those marmot go into hibernation?

I thought if you kill marmots you have to either eat them or salvage the hide.
    This is very hard to do when you use a .22-250 for varmints!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default Careful on the Kenai please!

Quote Originally Posted by teucer View Post
    Went off of the Knik River access road off of Glenn Highway today to hunt rabbits with my .17 HM2. What a disaster that was in the brush. Ended up getting frustrated and shooting at them with my backup .45 instead, again to no avail. Weren't more than 3 rabbits between me and two other guys that we saw over there today. Must be getting a lot of hunting pressure this year over those parts.

Maybe it's time to start looking at Kenai more closely for hunting?
    A .17 sounds a little large for bunnies. A .45 is WAAAAYYYY big. These rounds carry. Consider the humble .22 or .410. Plenty effective and much safer for the other hunter who may be behind the trees.

And yes, there will be bears out until it gets uncomfortably cold for them. They're fat on berries right now, and feeling no pain.