Thread: How long will my boots last??

Default How long will my boots last??

Well I've been doing a bunch of research on various forums and websites on what boots to narrow down to look at for my wife. Anyways, during my research I keep reading about guys that buy new boots after a couple years because they are worn out. It seems to be more prevalent with Danner and Irish Setters, but I have read about some people replacing Lowas, Meindls, and Scarpas too. I'm a big fan of buying something expensive once rather than something a little cheap more often which you end up ahead in the long haul by paying more money up front. This is why I was looking to buy a very tough boot that will last a long time for my wife as well.

I am on my 2nd year with my Lowa Sheephunters and they are still going strong and look/feel brand new. I apply waterproofing every 6 months and put an average of about 100 miles a year on these boots. It was my thought when I bought these boots that they'd be good for atleast 7-10 years. What can I do to ensure that I get the most life and years out of these expensive boots before I have to buy another pair of these same boots when/if they finally wear out?

Thanks

I can't see any real sign of breakdown with my Kenetreks. I guess I am budgeting $100 per year for boots. Mine cost 270 and I expect to get 3 years of use out of them. Everything I get byond that will be a happy surprise. I would hawever be shocked to get more than 4 years of heavy/hard use out of any boot.

Default 3 Years

Mine only last about 3 years before the sole wears down too much. Have had some boots re-soled.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I've had my Lowas for 5 years and they're still in great shape.

Thanks great news Brian. What kind of treatment do you do to your boots and how often??

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default must be nice

in 93 my right leg got smooshed... i wear out 300.00 danners in 6 months no matter what i do...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've got a pair of Danners that are 3-4 years old. Still going strong. (Only put 50ish miles a year on them though)

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I'm on my second pair of lowa sheep hunters,can't say enough about this boot.....i'd say i'm getting about 3 seasons,and i'm very hard on my equitment,compared to koflachs i was maybe getting 2 season,and not anywhere near the comfort.

I think you'll find how long a pair of boots last depends on many factors, how you walk, the terrain, how much you weigh, etc.

I've finally come to the conclusion that top footwair is worth whatever it costs, even if it only lasts a few seasons. If a hunt gets blown due to your feet blistering up, the boots will seem awefully cheap in comparison.

I probably only do 50 miles a year in my Meindl Alaskan Hunters. I am on my fourth year on them. They still look brand new and the only thing I do is Nikwax them once a year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you guy only were your boot once a year? heck i spend 300 bucks for them and there on.. till done.. of course i have to wear a boot so i can walk... work or play... 7 days a week so i guess i get my use out of them..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Meindls are not boots that you can drive or operate heavy equipment in, they just are too stiff in the wrong places for that. I have other boots for work.

Default Boot life

Danners last me about 3-4 weeks of heavy use before they leak. My scarpas have 14 weeks of heavy use and are still going strong. Heavy use = mountain hunting.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danners last me about 3-4 weeks of heavy use before they leak.
    I wish my Danners gave me that kind of service. I will never own another pair, NEVER..... Those were the worst pair of boots I have ever owned, by far. I have never felt as miserable in my life than when I was wearing danners around any kind of H2O.

I like my cabelas whitetail extreme boots eventhough they don't fit my foot as well as I would like. The regular fitting feels more like a wide. But hey, they keep the water out and hike better than rubber boots.