Thread: T/C New Englander

Default T/C New Englander

Has anyone here ever had any experience with the new englander in 54? I am VERY interested in getting my hands on a 54 cal percussion, preferably a lyman deerstalker or new englander. I just handled my first t/c today and what a nice rifle! It was in a 50, but if it was a little bigger, it would have been mine.

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    Has anyone here ever had any experience with the new englander in 54? I am VERY interested in getting my hands on a 54 cal percussion, preferably a lyman deerstalker or new englander. I just handled my first t/c today and what a nice rifle! It was in a 50, but if it was a little bigger, it would have been mine.
    I had one in 54 (wood stock version) for a while and foolishly let it go. Dandy rifle, and no dust on it's abilities.

Looked for one for my wife and used prices for the wood ones were up to where I could get a new Lyman Deerstalker 54 for the same price from Midsouth Shooters Supply, and finally went that route. Both are single trigger rather than double-set, but all I've handled in both models have really decent hunting triggers.

Why a 54 for my wife? Because it's lighter and not as barrel-heavy as the 50 (in both the New Englander and the Deerstalker), which she prefers.

I put the TC hunter peep sight on hers (a direct fit with the two screws lining up perfectly and no drilling), and it's truly one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I've ever shot. With any powder charge from light ones for head shooting rabbits to mediums for plinking and heavies for big game. It puts them all into ragged cloverleafs at 50 yards.

Best of all for her, being a short barreled 54, both the NE and the Deerstalker have their center of gravity right back between your hands so they aren't muzzleheavy. I really like that for fast shooting in the brush, but darned if she'll let me hunt with her rifle!

I don't think you can go wrong with either model. I don't particularly like the plastic (Ryolite?) stock on the newer New Englanders, but that's a taste thing that drove me to find a wood stock version and finally settle on the Lyman.

Midsouth had Deerstalkers in stock last time I was there. You can also check with The Gun Works in Oregon for used New Englanders. Last time I was on their site they had several in similar price range to that for new Deerstalkers at Midsouth.

I have one in 50, great rifle! I orginally got it when I lived in Ohio. The rifle shoots well with most bullets. Highly recommended!