Thread: Mink Oil vs ... Beeswax?

Default Mink Oil vs ... Beeswax?

I saw this in Freds and was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on it vs. Mink Oil...

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterp.../sno-seal.html

sno-seal is a great product. I logged for two years, so 12 hours a day in the brush, everyday. I occasionally greased my caulks with sno-seal.. it was my second choice after huberds (beeswax and pine tar).. I used both and found no real difference. Eventually if it was wet enough my feet would get wet.

Default Bees Wax

100% pure bees wax is what is in a toilet seal...dirt cheap $1.29...buy at any hardware store...get w/o the plastic flange. Dissolve said wax in turpentine and brush on. This allows the bees wax to soak into the leather rather than just sit on the surface waiting to washed off in the first encounter w/ the vegetation. Allow the volatiles to evaporate, usually over night.

I mix 50/50 the above w/ Logger's World boot oil. Available from Tongass Trading Post of Ketchikan.

This is for well constructed 100% leather boots, not boots w/ Cordura uppers or GoreTex. Oil and dirt kill the performance GoreTex.

Petroleum based products tend to dissolved the glues found in modern footwear and is harmful to leather. Turpentine is distilled pine resin and bees wax is either bee poop or puke... I forget which, ask your favorite son of a bee.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

THE best product you can ever, EVER put on your boots is a product called Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP(888-486-6640)!!!!!! It is Goretex approved. I have used it for 15 years. It does contain beeswax. It puts Sno-Seal, Logger's World, Red Wing boot oil, et al.-every single one of them to shame!

Another vote for Obenauf's.
    Now what ?

Pure beeswax is an outstanding sealant for leather boots. It is far superior to snowseal. You'll have to heat up the boot to melt the beeswax in, but it'll last for years in rough terrain and keep the boot water proof.

Toilet rings are not beeswax! They are a synthetic wax that is beeswax color.

Thumbs up Sno seal

Warm it enough to get it to melt then warm up your boot with a heat gun and paint it on till it soaks CLEAR THROUGH thats what I do and have been totally satisfied. It even protects the stitching from dropping hot sparks on them.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ