Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 for moose to sheep???

Default .308 for moose to sheep???

Still researching a new rifle and wondering what the thoughts are on the M84 Kimber montana in .308.

Am looking to buy myself a promotion present and was leaning towards the Rem Alaska Titanium but looked at the Kimber website yesterday and like the weight of the rifle.

I want a lightwieght gun that I could use for moose on down. Will use it yearly for a sheep hunting and may take it to Wyoming to hunt elk, if the longbow doesn't win out.

For about $700 less I could by the montana and save almost a pound in rifle weight! Only thing is I have never really looked into a .308 before.

Can anyone help out with their thoughts on the ballistics and killing power of this cartridge as well as the 3-400 yard capability?

Thanks

.308 is a great round. I've had mine since I was 13 in a Rem. Model 7. All 4 that have been shot with it have dropped after one shot. Also have shot one caribou at 300 yrds and another at 400 yrds. However, all the other caribou I've shot with it have been inside 70 yrds. It does have the killing power at that range if you are able to put it in the right spot.

That being said, since you are looking at Kimber I'd take a good long look at the 300 WSM. I don't believe it weighs anymore than the .308, but more power and flatter shooting for those long range 300-400 yrds. Just my opinion. Good luck!!

Default 84 Montana 308

I have that exact rifle.Scoped with a VX32.5x8, it weighs 6 lbs 2 ounces.

Be aware that with full house loads, this is not a lot of fun to shoot off a bench.

Thumbs up .308 is good.....

The .308 Winchester has a very well documented/proven reputation. It is claimed to be one of those inherently accurate calibers. In a accurate rifle with one of todays super duper 150 to 168 frain bullets it is a big game getter that will deliver if the shooter puts the bullet in the right place. I think the Kimber is a good choice. Get the accuracy and then learn the trajectory= dead critter!

No qualms from me.

The 308 will do anything on game an 06 will do. Differences are pure keyboard ballistics and something to argue about when you run out of better things to do.

Default thanks

thanks for the replies.

I used a 308 Winchester for years, used to be my favorite caliber. Caribou were always easy to kill with the 308 win. Moose sometimes would take more than one shot. The last bull moose I shot with my 308 was about 75 yds away, had to shoot him 3 times while he was running past me before he slowed down and fell over, all 3 shots were in the vital area (lung shots). Was using factory Remington ammo 180 gr Core-lokt. IMO If I was spending over a thousand dollars on a rifle I would choose a different caliber.

Thumbs up Kimber 84M .308

I have an Kimber 84M, matte blued, walnut stock, topped with a leupold vxIII 2.5-8, and what an awesome combination, extremely accurate and it will indeed do the job. I have taken moose, black bear, and caribou without any problems. Lately I've been carrying my Winchester, Black Shadow, Stainless, M70, topped with a leupold vx-II 3-9x Dot reticle for good reasons as it is bomb/weather-proof.

Without question, I'd get the Kimber over the Remington. Also, look at the 7mm wsm.

I handled kimber montanas this weekend which were chambered in 338 Federal and 325WSM. The WSM had a longer barrel (24" vs. 22", I think) and an ever-so-slightly heavier barrel contour. Both very lightweight and handy, and appearing to be well-put-together.

The 308 is probably THE most inherently accurate cartridge there is. Track down some of Ian McMurchy's writing on NAHC. He and his cronies regularly take deer to 800 yds with 308s. A friend of mine has shot a 308 for years, and takes moose to 500 yds with it. And don't think that if the critter doesn't immediately fall over at the shot, that the cartridge or marksman is to blame. Moose will often go 100 yds or so shot through the heart or lungs. I'd go for the Kimber in 308.

Default WSM Kimbers are heavier

As I recall, the Kimber WSMs have a heavier action and a longer barrel, which adds weight. For me, since I was looking for a sheep rifle, weight was one of the critical factors, and since I feel that 308 (in my case 7mm-08) is entirely adequate when loaded with the right handloads I saw more to loose than gain by going to WSM. My Kimber in 7-08 weighs a touch over 6 pounds with a 3x9 VX-11UL scope, a sling, and belly full of bullets. AND it shoots MOA with 140gr bullets traveling over 2900fps. I bought it specifically because I wanted a sheep rifle that I could also feel reasonably confident shooting a moose with. I would also feel pretty confident on caribou and deer out to 400 yds with that combination. It's a pleasure to carry, well designed, and tough.

I'm quiet happy with my Kimber. I chose the 7-08 over the 308 for the same reason it was originally widlcatted from the 308. Slightly better ballistics. There are several 140gr .284 bullets with excellent BC to choose from, and you have the option of going down to 120 or up to 160 grains. You can go lower and higher, but that would be less than ideal, IMO. If you want heavier bullets, that's where the .308 would come back into it's glory.

I think that if I ever saw one in .308 I would have bought it, I went with the next best thing, 300 WSM and yeah its a wee bit heavier but gives you a lot more room to work with. I was gonna buy the 7mm-08 Kimber thats in the swap n sell, but cant snug up to the 7mm-08, though a full hunting package right at 6 lbs is quite enticing, I'll settle for right at 7 lbs.

With todays bullets, you can take any game in Alaska with either a 7-08 or .308, and yes, I said any game. There is something to be said for a light, mild recoiling and accurate rifle. When I moved up here I came up with a light .308. If I'd spent more time hunting and less time reading and building custom guns I'd have been much better off. But we come by our education by different paths.

The .308 is a very easy round to handload for, and there is plenty of good factory ammo out there. A good 150-168 gr bullet in the vitals will always work.

Smile

"If I'd spent more time hunting and less time reading and building custom guns I'd have been much better off."

+1, 308Win is an excellent cartridge choice for a lightweight rifle. The Kimber 84 Montanas are about the easiest way to get into one of 308 based cartridges. The old style Rem 700 TIs are approximately the same weight (they are getting harder to find). Both rifles will get you trim lightweight setup around 6lbs all up. Personally I prefer the 700 for 308 cartridges. The Kimber 84 Montana is very petite. The old style 700 TI is just as light, the stock is compact but still a normal sized short action and stock. The Kimber action is CRF and much smoother than the 700 TI. Advantage for handloaders goes to the 700 TI due to magazine length offers longer bullet seating not encroaching on powder capacity. Both the 700TI and Montana WSMs are going to run a pound heavier. Around 7lbs all up. Kimber trumps the 700 in the WSM chamberings. (IMO Kimbers ergos in the WSMs are just right). For mountain hunting I still have a 260 Montana, a HS Precision 270WSM, an old style 308 700TI and a 700 AK TI in 25-06. I am thinning the herd and moving them all on and will replace them with a NULA model 20, probably chambered in 284Win, but may decide on a 308 based cartridge. Maybe even a NULA 24 in a .30-06 based chambering. Need to decide soon. I am calling Melvin Forbes tomorrow. Bottomline, if you don't handload get a 308, readily available ammo choices and options. If the Montana fits and feels right get it cuz it will cost you a whole lot more $ to get anything lighter. If you enjoy tinkering and maybe changing out parts in the future go with a Rem more aftermarket support. Do not fear buying a Kimber if it don't work for you it is easy to move on. I have owned Kimber Montanas in 84s and 8400s WSMs and the long actions. Don't listen to the WSM advocates go with any 308 based cartridge and preferably a 308. For what it is worth and what you paid for it my advice is to get a 308 and shoot it often and learn the capabilities and limitations of the cartridge. By the way, a 308 is adequate except for the coastal bruins. Cartridge and rifle selection is always somewhat of a compromise. Your decision as to how much carrying weight and how big of a thump you want to put up with. BTDT. Kimber bashers and WSM advocates may now respond.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I just bought a Remington VTR in 308. It may not be the lightest rifle but it sure is accurate. The triangle barrel is so much lighter than the bull barrels. If you are making long shots this is the gun. The gun is only 7 1/2 pounds. It will shoot 5 shots inside a quarter at 200yrds all day long with 168 grain bullets. I put a Zeiss 3x9 50mm on it. It is going to be my white tail deer rifle. Most of the white tail deer shots are right at legal dark. You need the larger object for white tail in my opinion.

MOOSE at 500yards and deer at 800 yards with a .308. WHY?????????? making us canadians look pretty foolish EH!!! ( IMHO)

Default Healey

MOOSE at 500yards and deer at 800 yards with a .308. WHY?????????? making us canadians look pretty foolish EH!!! ( IMHO)
    Because we can.

well, after dragging a 303 brit all over the woods, I broke down and bought a Thompson Center with several barrels. Although none were 308, Its a fare round. I carried a FN FAL in 7.62/308 in the military and it was pretty on target at 500 yards.

Kimber makes a fine weapon. In 308, it will make a fine all around rifle.

But I still like one shot one kill. Give me a 45/70 at under 100 yds

I have shot moose, sheep, and black bear up here with the 308.

Or is it because we cant stalk closer because of a luck of woodsman skills?(tongue in cheek)

The sheep I helped kill was much farther than 500yards seeing how the first shot was at 536 and I did not start shooting until my buddy ran out of shells(5). When the sheep was 3 hills farther and I had pretty much given up on trying I hit the sheep in the foot which caused a fatal fall. If I had to guess I would say 750 yards or so.

I admire the ability to get as close as possible to game but the difference in being able to hit and kill has more to do with holdover than grains off powder burned under a bullet.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast