Thread: Caribou hunt

Default Caribou hunt

6 of us are kicking around the idea of a 5-6 day boat trip next fall somewhere. We are just unsure of a decent place to go at this point, realistically this will be more of just a fun trip than anything else but knowing someone might shoot a caribou certainly would not hurt anyone's feelings.

We have 3 boats if needed and 2 of the boats can haul 4 wheelers.

NOT looking for a honey hole just looking for some ideas to get kicked around.

Thanks

Doug

Call Mike at Alaska Bush Sports. I've known him for a lot of years, great man, safe pilot, and knows where to find wilderness...and Caribou.

www.alaskabushsports.com

You'll have a great experience

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Call Mike at Alaska Bush Sports. I've known him for a lot of years, great man, safe pilot, and knows where to find wilderness...and Caribou.

www.alaskabushsports.com

Thanks for the advice and I will look into it, we are really looking for are just some thoughts on areas to haul the boats etc and as I said this trip will be for fun really more than anything else. We have access to a plane but we would rather take the boats.

Doug

The Porquipine River can be good, if you catch them crossing, later is better. The Nation River is always good, even early in the season, for Caribou and Sheep. Makes for a good combo hunt, and more often than not, someone always gets a grizzly.

Thumbs up Go with Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

www.alaskabushsports.com

Mike will find you game. I took a 78" moose using his air taxi service. He was actually flying another hunter into that area until the hunter admitted NOT bringing game bags. Mike dropped him elsewhere and flew into our camp. When he found out we had yet to see a moose, he asked if we were up to a challenge. No promises, but will give you an honest chance.

I heard he was having some financial problems and might be going out of business. A good guy, a great pilot and a reliable transporter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Mike will find you game. I took a 78" moose using his air taxi service. He was actually flying another hunter into that area until the hunter admitted NOT bringing game bags. Mike dropped him elsewhere and flew into our camp. When he found out we had yet to see a moose, he asked if we were up to a challenge. No promises, but will give you an honest chance.

I heard he was having some financial problems and might be going out of business. A good guy, a great pilot and a reliable transporter.
    Is he a guide? If not, possibly what you have suggested he did for you, might very well be illegal. I would think that you should ask that to be looked into, "if he is not a registered guide". Of course you might risk loosing your antlers, but it would be the ethical thing to do.

Default What you mean Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Is he a guide?
    Not Sure where you are coming from. I've known Mike for probably 20 years and have never seen a more ethical guy.

The hunter that forgot his bags was left on the tundra waiting for a return flight to base. Mike told him he will not fly someone not ready to care for the meat. I met the guy and he knew that he screwed up.
    Mike hadn't been to the area I took my moose in yet that season. Just that there had been a huge bull down there last year. It wouldn't be easy. He wouldn't even give us a flyover to look for game and it was big rough country. Said if the big boy is there we don't want to scare him. I pleaded with him for one circle and he said no. Thanks Mike.
    So the answer to your suggestion is no. The only thing that Mike gave us was propane and a decent chance to bust our humps.

The Fed (Scott in a red Cub) flew in and checked our camp. He was familiar with Mike (whom we hadn't seen in days) and could see we were doing our own thing. Hunting fair chase.

Back to the thread, I wholly recommend Mikes air taxi, he knows the country. He flies a 206 on tundra tires and can carry a load of meat. He has a great track record and is one of the good guys.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I am OK with it, if you are.

What are the best rivers to float in Alaska for Caribou? Where would one get dropped off? What rivers offer the best chance for a Grizzly as well?

The Porquipine River can be good, if you catch them crossing, later is better. The Nation River is always good, even early in the season, for Caribou and Sheep. Makes for a good combo hunt, and more often than not, someone always gets a grizzly.
    Akres,

Thanks and Ionically we were talking about the porcupine river yesterday and we are going to research some more, we stilll have plenty of time. I know at least a couple off the guys coming along will be all over a grizzly if one decides to show its face, one of the guys going is in the woods this weekend looking for a Grizz.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwhunter View Post
    Akres,

Thanks and Ionically we were talking about the porcupine river yesterday and we are going to research some more, we stilll have plenty of time. I know at least a couple off the guys coming along will be all over a grizzly if one decides to show its face, one of the guys going is in the woods this weekend looking for a Grizz.
    Thanks
    The logistics and cost associated with hunting the Porky or Nation rivers can be overcome with study. Having several people working on it helps. But that is also what keeps out the not too serious hunters and makes it what it is. Good Hunting. Up the Nation also there is a few Fannin Sheep. Mostly Dalls though. Fuel costs of today, would more than double the old costs of the hunt. You can track the Caribou online, as some of them are wearing GPS's. But that is a long way to go, just for Caribou. Be prepared to take care of and transport a LOT of meat. That is the most critical aspect of the planning.

The logistics and cost associated with hunting the Porky or Nation rivers can be overcome with study. Having several people working on it helps. But that is also what keeps out the not too serious hunters and makes it what it is. Good Hunting. Up the Nation also there is a few Fannin Sheep. Mostly Dalls though. Fuel costs of today, would more than double the old costs of the hunt. You can track the Caribou online, as some of them are wearing GPS's. But that is a long way to go, just for Caribou. Be prepared to take care of and transport a LOT of meat. That is the most critical aspect of the planning.
    Akres, thanks for all the info. We will have many hands in on the planning for this trip so regardless of where we decide to go all will be good. In regards to meat care, that may be the time we rely on the plane.

When we do hunts in the lower 48 we have a trailer that will haul a couple 4 wheelers as well as a chest freezer and a generator, the meat is always top priority. If we added another boat to the trip we could do the same thing with the freezer lol.

Doug