Thread: Muzz. Cert. Online?

Default Muzz. Cert. Online?

I saw somewhere that ADF&G was going to put together an online course for muzzleloader certifications like they have for bowhunting, but I checked their website and it's gone, or at least I didn't see it again.

Is an online course still in the works? If so, when is it supposed to be ready?

I would love to just attend the class, but I work every Friday and Saturday from noon to 10:30pm.

I really want to get my cert before next year!

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I saw somewhere that ADF&G was going to put together an online course for muzzleloader certifications like they have for bowhunting, but I checked their website and it's gone, or at least I didn't see it again.

Is an online course still in the works? If so, when is it supposed to be ready?

I would love to just attend the class, but I work every Friday and Saturday from noon to 10:30pm.

I really want to get my cert before next year!

Thanks for the help.
    I'd call your local ADF&G game division office and ask them. Haven't heard anything about an online class. The written test would be easy enough to do, but I'm not sure how they'd pull off the shooting part, which for me is the core of the class.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i agree B bear. i think we spent more time shooting then in the class portion. class was scheduled 8 30-6 we were completed by 430 and gone home... it was rather chilly that day also.. They said for now on August was going to be last class here in Fairbanks for that reason.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    They said for now on August was going to be last class here in Fairbanks for that reason.
    That sure makes sense, and not just for the cold. I'd much rather see the classes happen well before the seasons so folks had more time to buy gear and practice with it. The class here is scheduled the week before opening of our own primitive weapon season. I know staff and gear are limited, and also that it's tough to fill classes earlier when compeating with fishing seasons and such. But if there was any way around that particular connundrum, it would sure be nice for new hunters to get a little experience under their belts before hunting.

Not a rag on ADF&G or the class. Just whimsical thinking.

The online bowhunting certification still requires a range session, right? Why not do the same for muzzleloader hunters?

Well, I hope I can get my schedule changed so that I can do a Saturday class early next summer.

The online bowhunting certification still requires a range session, right? Why not do the same for muzzleloader hunters?

Well, I hope I can get my schedule changed so that I can do a Saturday class early next summer.
    I suspect the biggest problem might be pure logistics. ADF&G lets you use your own gear in the archery class, but insists you use theirs in the ML classes. There'd have to be some change in that policy, or else they'd need their own muzzleloaders scattered all over the place.

I have to say that in using their muzzleloaders, I was glad to have several hours to shoot for familiarization before shooting for test. I was (and still am) accustomed to traditional guns with their set triggers, and the Knights they have took some getting used to.

By way of getting acquainted I shot my firs three shots offhand at the 50 yards test distance, and didn't miss their 6" group standard by much, but miss it I did. After a couple of hours with the gun, I shot my test group offhand again and landed three shots in 2.5". Felt pretty good with that particular gun, but with my own I can usually cut that in half.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and the class was 85% hands on, with tear down cleaning and shooting... as i said. very little time was spent going over the book work.

this powder that powder and safety... here is a gun take it apart put it back together lets go shoot for 5 hours,,, and they smile and say it's state ammo lets spend it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Starting "early 09"

I just saw on the ADF&G website that the muzzleloader certification course will be available online starting in early 2009.

I just saw on the ADF&G website that the muzzleloader certification course will be available online starting in early 2009.
    I recently heard that from staff. My wife just compleated the class, and when I mentioned the online option to her she didn't think much of it. She got a lot more out of "face time" with the instructors and class time with the other students. Each of us learn in different ways, but the online version would sure be convenient for anyone that couldn't find a scheduled class.

To take this class do you need to own a muzzleloader? I am planning on getting my cert but don't own one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    To take this class do you need to own a muzzleloader? I am planning on getting my cert but don't own one yet.
    For the classroom version they won't let you use your own, even if you have one. You have to use their muzzleloaders only.

I'm not sure what they plan to do for the online version.

no every thing is provided.. infact you CAN NOT bring your own stuff at all.

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info guys.

According to the F&G website, there are no classes currently scheduled so I sent an e-mail to Lee Green to find out when they plan on having a class. I hope they have one before the spring draws open up.

Me too. I'm very interested in doing this online part.

According to the F&G website, there are no classes currently scheduled so I sent an e-mail to Lee Green to find out when they plan on having a class. I hope they have one before the spring draws open up.
    Man I screwed his name up royally....that should be Lee Rogers.

Default ADF&G updated their website with new info:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...e.muzzleloader

Lots of new info on the online course...

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...e.muzzleloader

Lots of new info on the online course...
    Looks good! Glad to see they kept the shooting part. Even happier to see they want you to shoot your own.

Thanks for the link, I know someone who's been curious.