Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber 8400 Talkeetna 375 H&H

Default Kimber 8400 Talkeetna 375 H&H

This new Kimber Talkeetna sure looks like it would be a good rifle for bear hunting up here in Alaska. I have never owned one or even had a chance to see one before, but from the description on the Kimber website they sound like a good quality all weather rifle . Anyone have any opinions about them yet, are they worth the money that they are selling for? Thanks

8400 Talkeetna, Caliber:.375 H&H Mag.
    Specifications: Approximate Weight: 8lbs. Overall Length (inches): 44.50
    Synthetic stock
    Sling swivel studs
    Pacmayr Decelerator 1.0" recoil pad
    LOP: 13.75
    Barrel: 24" Magnum Contour Stainless
    Twist rate (right hand): 12
    Grooves: 6
    Match grade chamber
    Express sights
    Action: Full length Mauser claw extractor
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Magazine capacity: 4
    Pillar and Glass bedding
    3-position Model 70-type safety
    Trigger: Adjustable, Factory setting (pull) pounds: 3.5-4.0

Handled one today at Sportsmans Warehouse. Everything about it was sweet........cept the price tag! $2,000 is too much, even for this gear head!

Yep, the rifles are pretty spendy. Been looking at various auction sites and the prices are pretty high. Do you know what type of synthetic material the stocks are made of? also from the pics I seen today can't tell if the rifles have blind magazines or bottom metal. Thanks

Those stocks arent your mill of the run synthetics, its a Kevlar composite. If I recall correctly it is in fact a blind mag.

When I can have MRC make me up a barreled action for a little over a grand in 375 H&H I could never pay 2k for a kimber. I like being a part of the build up process from start to finish, I love the idea that it is not just another off the shelf rifle but something I had a hand in creating.

Doug

True, MRC has SS barreled actions for a little over half the cost of a Kimber. and you can also find a new or used Winchester 70 Classic SS 375 on one of the auction sites now and then for the same cost, (if your lucky).
    Anyone ever hear of Kimber just selling rifle actions? Wonder why Kimber designed their rifle to have a blind magazine? Seems unusual for a rifle in this caliber to have a blind magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Wonder why Kimber designed their rifle to have a blind magazine? Seems unusual for a rifle in this caliber to have a blind magazine.
    My guess is for the reduced weight, all the Montana series come with bling mags.

Just looking at the pic of the 8400 Caprivi on their website, I can see a latch on the trigger guard for a magazine plate, so the Caprivi must be the exception. It also comes in 375 H&H.

I have no doubt that the Talkeetna may just be the perfect Alaska rifle for guys that like having "Enough Gun", cuz its light enough to pack on a sheep hunt, and still deliver exceptional down range killing ability on anything Alaska throws at you! I just wish I had a spare $2K to buy one.

I hear ya Alaska Cub, would be a nice rifle indeed for Alaska.

As I understand it, Kimber's synthetic stocked rifles (Montana) are all blind mag type, while those stocked in wood have bottom metal.

I read in another forum, that MRC actually makes the actions for Kimber. I don't know if it's true, but a phone call to MRC could confirm it one way or another.

I handled this rifle and don't see how it's worth $2k. It's nice, but not $2k nice. I'd rather have a classic Model 70 stainless 375 H&H wrapped around in a nice McMillan stock.

Wait........I do have said rifle.

Yep, I have a Winchester 70 Classic SS 375H&H too. Sent mine off a few months ago to MPI Fiberglass Stocks to have it bedded into a Dakota Classic style stock. Barrel is also being cut to 21" and recrowned with a recessed target crown. New NECG sights are gonna be mounted on the barrel, and lastly the barreled action will be teflon coated in flat black. Should be a nice rifle once the work is all finished.

That does indeed sound like a nice rifle, once completed. I considered chopping an inch or two off my 375 H&H but decided against it that idea once I got the 375 Ruger Alaskan that already came with a 20" barrel.

Just looked at a closeup pic of a Kimber rifle and the action does resemble the MRC 1999 action. I wonder if MRC does make Kimber's 8400 actions. Now that would be something.
    One of these days I would like to buy one of those Ruger Alaskan rifles in 375 Ruger. Now the prices on the Ruger are more reasonable than any of the rifles mention on this thread. Would be nice if the new Winchester company chambered the 375 Ruger.
    I am kinda suprised that no other major firearms company hasn't done it yet.

Howa is the only other that I know that is chambering the 375 Ruger at this time. Though, there was a CZ rifle on the cover of Rifle Shooter magazine (I believe that was the one, will have to look) that was chambered for 375 Ruger. CZ is suppose to be offering rifles soon for the 375 Ruger.

I have heard mixed reviews on the MRC actions. Some folks seem to think they need a little work when they get them. There is a smith in Helena that Lilja recommends that seems to like them. They take a while to deliver on an order. If I was going to go with am MRC action, I would get a Lilja barrel on it by a good smith and set in a McMillan stock. Probably looking at $1700 or so for that combo.

I also read on the net about MRCs occassionally having issues with feeding cartridges. By the way who is the smith in Helena that does the work on MRC actions? I have used a few MRC actions within the last few years on various rifle projects. Just once I had a feeding problem. It was with my daughter's 308, had to cycle the bolt twice to get the cartridge to feed. Suprised me and gave the caribou a chance to take a few extra steps too. At the time I thought it was the follower spring, being a little on the weak side. Thanks

PM sent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast