Thread: Duckhunte01 MAYDAY CALL

Default Duckhunte01 MAYDAY CALL

Where do I start:

Capsized the boat on Duck Lake this mornig(Scanoe). in the middle and need some help recovering my items. I got two bags of decoys that floated to the south and a backpack. Spinner out there somwhere on the bottom.

Started out doing great, low waves and moving slow, got to the middle and the wind picked up, turned to the right to head to shore and the boat flipped on a big wave..#$@%@$#. Reached for the guns, untied the dog, grabbed the blindbag(survival items) just glad we could reach the bottom..water was above our waist and waves were slapping us in the face. Before we could grab the decoy bagsx2 and backpack they were 30 yards and moving toward the far end. Shellshocked the both of us, dog was trying to climb on us for cover..man it sucked. buddy grabbed all he could and went for shore over 1/4 mile away. I stayed and tried to recover the boat and motor but could not in the winds. Hiked to the canal and that along took over 3 hours. Later a guy came buy and let us use his phone to make call for recovery. I could see he was on a mission for some geese as they had been flying all around us all morning. Told him we were walking back to the boat ramp at RS and he stated he would pick us up on the way back if he saw us. (Our buddy showed up about 4 hours later trolling down the canal about 3/4 to the cross over area. what a sight that was to see. Long story short,,,bad waterfowling day..and I have a boat and motor that I need to recover. I need some help if someone can assist me tomorrow. I dont have another engine for my 14ft aluminum boat or 10ft zodiac or I would go and recover these items myself. I have to get back and get my motor and boat no matter what. I marked it on the gps before I left it and more than likely the boat is still poking its head out of the water as it was when I left. Was hard to do ..but went to survival mode and had to save ourselves and the dog. Hell, even dragged it for 50 yards before I was SMOKED! and had to walk away. If anyone is out there this weekend..I would appreciate it if you could pick up my decoys and backpack, (they floated straight toward the back. If you came from the cabin/crossover area and headed straight back you will find them. PM me and I will give you my phone number. Man this sucks,,Thanks guys and if anyone can help. PM me and I will send you my number. This baby is going to stay on all night.

I would like to get out there as soon as possible but was planning on shooting for around 10 as I hate to ruin anyones hunt while recovering my stuff.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that and Im glad that you made it out alright.If I was in your area I'd help ya out.Hopefully someone can get your gear out for you.I wish you the best of luck.Daniel

Default Where is this Duck Lake

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your incident -- but glad to hear everyone and dog included made it out ok.

Where exactly is Duck Lake, tried google maps and it was less than helpful!!

Pretty sure its down by Valdez or on the Kenai Peninsula based on what I have gathered from reading online real quick... probably just not looking hard enough or in the right places...

Good Luck Recovering Everything - If it turns out you are anywhere nearby I will be glad to help!! I live in Fairbanks, so I am guessing I am in the wrong town to be of use to you though...

-Limetrude

WOW! Glad to hear you guys are allright. Hopefully the recovery will come together and all that will be lost is a day in the marsh.

Duck hunters drown every year. Waders, heavy coat, and no pfd make for a bad recipe. I used to hunt out my 15' kayak back in California. Twice I willingly paddled into fairly open water on big weather days like today guess I'm a slow learner). Having whitecaps at eyeball level and rolling waves is absolutely no fun. Always, always wear a pfd when on the water (it's easily stowed once you reach a safe place to shoot or wear a camo inflateable one which stays out of the way). Hopefully Duchhunter01 and his partner had theirs on. Think if the water had been a bit deeper Ducks aren't worth drowning for!

Y'all be careful the rest of the season.

Default Got it covered

Setting Duckhunter up with my flat bottom and my mud buddy. I should also have a buddy out there pulling his camp, that may be able to help him out. Still checking on him. The situation should be taken care of, but I'm sure duckhunter wouldn't turn down any more help.

Way to go AK Duckman.

We just won't tell anyone will we.

Default Appreciate it

I hear ya Birdstrike. After 30 years of duckhunting, even the seasoned, hard ass waterfowler still can make mistakes.. Thanks to AK Duckman, I am heading out this AM to see whats left. Will still be a good morning on the marsh, and I am sure I will be sold on the longtails after this. Great weather and warmer than yesterday, so should be perfect.

DH

Default 100% recovered

Thanks to AK Duckman, I was able to recover all items, to include the spinner that never left the boat.. Lucky the winds were still blowing from the same direction as everything was within 100 yards of each other and about 500 yards from the boat.

Taking the engine apart and drying it out, any ideas? should be ok. Crashing..I'm tired as hell...thanks again AK Duckman,,I really appreciate what you did for me. Not many guys out there would just loan their boat to another...Thanks

DH

cough...BAD BOB...cough.....

All kidding aside, I'm glad to see you got all your stuff back Duckhunter!

Default I'm glad

It all worked out for you Duckhunter. I do have to say it was kinda strange seeing my boat leaving the drive way with out me Maybe I'm getting soft as I get older. Get that motor going. I may come out to play at the end of the week.
    Matt, I guess someone will be coming to take my license plate now

glad to hear all is fine - so dare i ask....were there birds?

Default From what I was told

It was dirty with them. I'll try to get back out my self. Prob .. pushed in with the wind and with the temps staying mild. and I had to work this weekend. Any bets if it will stay like this.

Default Birds

There were birds all over the place, Geese as well. Saturday when we were far from wanting to shoot birds they were all over us, Geese were flying over us at about 60mph with wind. I would say over 60 were spotted and half in range. Yesteray we saw numerous flocks of mallards. divers, and geese all over the lake. More than we have seen in the last few weeks out there. If I can get this engine running will be back next week. There was some shooting along the river all morning. We did manage to pull two mallards out of the trip. I know if we were hunting we would have had a great day.