Thread: Need a Quick Answer

Default Need a Quick Answer

I was going to head out for some black bear hunting in about 30 min but the wind is whipping around 30-40kts. Do bears hunker down when the weather get's bad like this or are they still roaming around? Just wondering if I might have more luck drinking a beer at home.

Most animals do not like the wind and tend to stay hunkered down. Hunting in windy conditions is no fun and when it's swirling it's even worse. I'd say enjoy your beer.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Most animals do not like the wind and tend to stay hunkered down. Hunting in windy conditions is no fun and when it's swirling it's even worse. I'd say enjoy your beer.
    Cold beer vs. wind, hmmmmmmmm I'm with AkHunter enjoy a nice cold frosty one!

The good thing about if you go hunting in all this wind if you walk up on one it's going to be exciting
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Sounds like the nays have it. Cold beer it is. I sure hope it dies down this weekend. The weather report isn't looking so good and I have yet to get a bear.

Try the houston area I saw 3 blackies last weekend still in the low lying blueberry patches around the Zero Lake area you can still get a wheeler in there and it hasnt had alot of pressure since moose season ended. Wait for the wind to die down though. Not quite as bad out here but it is still windy. If you get in there and find some fresh sign. Climb a tree and try a pred call. I have taken a couple using this tactic but dont be surprised if a brownie comes calling

They're still out there...I saw an easy 6 footer when I was on Douglas (I was up high) 2 weekends ago. I could have tried for him, but I would've had to deal with him and I didn't feel like it as I was deer hunting....I saw tons of fresh bear sign last weekend (high and low...)...Lots of bear sign this year, though it may be that I'm hunting differently than last year....

The lousy fish runs this year I believe may be playing a role in the bear activity. They still need to put the feed bag on a lil while longer. Thats why I think you can get them to come into to the pred call relatively easy.