Thread: Need Instructions On Tanning

Default Need Instructions On Tanning

Does anyone have a link to a simple meathod to tan hides? I want to tan a bear skin but don't want to dish out the dough to have someone else do it.

By the time you get all the supplies ,Cheaper to take it to someone .Taxidermy.net is a good site . You'll need a tumbler ,Sawdust (I use corn cob mix) and much more. You have to have the PH correct or the hair will slip and so on......If you have lots of time on your hands
    "GO FOR IT "

Here is the tanning forum

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...oard,11.0.html
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a simple meathod to tan hides? I want to tan a bear skin but don't want to dish out the dough to have someone else do it.

take it to turbo tan and have one SPRAYED on it.......

actually tanning is not that bad... 40-45 a linal foot
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Roger is right...You are better off to take it to a tannery. You can do it yourself but it will take alot of work and not near the quality of a tannery. Bears are greasy critters and it's a lot of hide to try to get soft. Its also important to shave the hide to thin it or you will spend hours trying to break it. Good luck!

I have a few numbers if you P.M me .You can send the hide salted and get it back in 4-6 weeks ready for the wall for $100 -120 ft thats nose to tail not Sq ft

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have a few numbers if you P.M me .You can send the hide salted and get it back in 4-6 weeks ready for the wall for $100 -120 ft thats nose to tail not Sq ft

wow Roger, thats kinda high..... (sorry)

i have two up here that are both 5'4" long... fleshing, foot removal, and tanning is only 350.-380.00... both the taxi's i use said 45 a lineal foot nose -tail just for tanning the tannery here charges 40.. and a 100 buck to flesh it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    wow Roger, thats kinda high..... (sorry)

i have two up here that are both 5'4" long... fleshing, foot removal, and tanning is only 350.-380.00... both the taxi's i use said 45 a lineal foot nose -tail just for tanning the tannery here charges 40.. and a 100 buck to flesh it.
    So they charged you about $600 for the completed bear rug then ?

didn't rug them...
    was for tanning i don't rug bears under 6 foot any more we have to many of them....

if your prices reflect rugging them i apologize the thread was on Tanning

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    didn't rug them...
    was for tanning i don't rug bears under 6 foot any more we have to many of them....

if your prices reflect rugging them i apologize the thread was on Tanning
    Price included rugging and your right this is a tanning thread. Got away from the subject. Still if you ever tried to tan a bear hide and break it down by hand without equipment it aint easy.

PM sent

Doug

Thanks for the info guys. Might be a moot point being that I have yet to see a bear when I've actually got my rifle with me.

Thanks for the info guys. Might be a moot point being that I have yet to see a bear when I've actually got my rifle with me.
    I had my bear done at Rug N' Rack here in J-town for a little less than $400 w/ him doing the fleshing, paws, ears and lips. Didn't seem like a terrible deal, and he is a super nice guy. I sure a hell wouldn't want to flesh one...yuk I think it was like $100 for the prep-work and $50 per foot. Good luck on the bears...saw a beauty at the glacier the other day
    Nice Marmot.

Default Chrome tanning

As others have pointed out, the taxidermy.net site is the place for good info on tanning. I've tanned black bears (hair on) using the chromium sulfate tanning kits you can buy. I like the chrome tanning for bears better than the typical acid-tanning we do here, or soap tanning on the smaller furs. You just need a large non-metal drum or container to get the whole bear hide in. They sell the kits for hair-on or hair-off tanning. Pretty straightforward really, just add the ingredients to water and put the fleshed hide in and let it soak for a few days.

The hard part of course is drying and working the hide after taking it out of the solution so it is soft. But you don't need a drum or anything, and you can do it without sawdust etc. We've tanned lots of stuff here doing it the old-fashioned way...it's just a whole lot of elbow grease is all. If you follow the directions on store-bought tanning solution kits you can do it yourself and save money for sure, and it's a good skill to learn.

Default I was led to understand

by an old trapper friend in Bettles, that there is enough brains in each animal to tan the hide. I believe he said you had to use some wood ash too. I miss that old guy. I'm sure you can google brain tanning and get the recipe for really inexpensive tanning methods.

I learned by using the brains with the hide in an oak stump. Acid formed by the water and brains mixing with the oak. Worked fine.

Default Tanned everything.....

From a weasel, beaver, fox, to a caribou. Pretty much any thin skinned critter will produce a decent hide if propery tanned, oiled and broken. The greasy ones like beaver and Bear especially, are tough critter to degrease. The tanning is not tough, its all the elbow grease you have to put into that make for alot of work. I betcha if you added up the time and sweat you put into one bear, you might reconsider doing another one. I have all my bears done here at Alpha furs in Anchorage, $300 bucks, includes fleshing and skinning the paws out, at least thats what it cost me last year. You will get a soft & pliable fur.

Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"