Thread: Sheep hunt in the wrangells

Default Sheep hunt in the wrangells

I took the wife and headed out after work to find the wild sheep. I had scouted the area that we wanted to hunt Labor Day weekend finding two nice rams. I was actually quite surprised to find a legal ram so quickly. I guess it was just a good bit of good luck. I was by myself and the weather was awful so I had to give up the chase. It was hard to do because they were right there. It would have taken me a couple of days to get the big guy out of there and it would have been a tough task. even at that. I told myself next weekend, and knocked on wood that they would still be in the area.
    I hoped all week that we could find the wild sheep, and that they would not move to far away. It was a hard week a lot of excitement built up. I talked my wife into coming with me so I was excited that she could come experience the sheep hunt. I knew the reality of a short weekend trip would probably yield nothing. I was glad to just have a chance and have a good time all in one. I really enjoy the Wrangell range so it is just nice to get out.
    Wow the weather was not too bad but I had bad news my wife told me we really only had one day because she wanted to get back to church on Sunday. I agreed to the one day hunt knowing there was no way we would come up with anything. I was just kind of hoping she would change her mind. We arrived at the starting point to late to hike in so I was bummed. I was hoping to hike in the first couple of miles that night. We set up camp and got a good night rest with some good old oatmeal for breakfast. We were off really early before the sun was up and hoping for some good luck. We burned some fast miles and I took a short cut that I had not taken before. It was straight up and the alders were ugly but the cold really helped in our favor. We made awesome time better than I thought we would. We packed light expecting to hall out a big sheep so that helped out.
    When we got to the area that the sheep had been in we got more luck in our favor. They had moved in a place to our advantage. They were out of the ugly cliffs and in an area that we could stalk from behind them as they were feeding on a ridge away from us. They were headed away but the wind was blowing our way. The stalk took a good hour in a half cruising right a long. When I summated the ridge that they had been on I peaked over expecting them to be bedded down getting some rays. There was nothing there just the sound of wind and smell of defeat. I knew they must have jetted all five of them gone. Then my wife heard rocks crashing to the far end of the ridge. I did not hear them because she was lower and I was higher on the ridge. There was cliff that came up and it looked like a big drop off on the other side. I could not tell because of the wall that was in the way. I knew the sheep could be headed off the ridge if they were they were probably way gone. I took it slow and when I poked my head over the wall beneath me 25 yards was a full curl staring straight at me. I tried getting a shot, but I could not get a good one. I stood up and had a decent shot at one of the full curls. I took it but there were two cliffs that you had to shoot between. It was like shooting through a rock window and I missed. I just took off running after them hoping to get another shot. I sprinted about a hundred yards across the ridge to the side we just climbed. I dropped got a dead rest on a rock. I was glad that was the route they used to get away so at about 500 yards down hill I led the lead ram, as he was at full speed headed for safety. He dropped about 20 more feet and tumbled a bit down hill getting caught behind a nice sized lava rock. I cleaned him and my wife wanted to cape him out so I let her do the skinning. She did awesome and there was plenty of great meat to haul back. We were back in time for church the next day I think we had helped with that. If I would have said there is no way we are getting back in time for church! We would have come up empty handed but instead we had some amazing luck.

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Crazy

Good on ya mate!

Looks like lady luck was on your side.

Default More pics of wrangell sheep hunt

A better pic of the dAll sheep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too cool, congrats! Glad your wife got to experience that with ya!

Congrats man! Was that this year or last?

Default How old is that ram

Have you had it sealed yet, what time of the month were you hunting.

"Some go to church and think about hunting, others go hunting and think about God."

I've heard more from God in the sheep mountains than I ever did sitting in a pew. Hopefully your wife had a good experience and won't be in such a rush to get back to that pew next time. Congrats on your ram.

Great story. Congratulations!