Thread: hunting boot reccommnedation help!!

Default hunting boot reccommnedation help!!

I'm in the market for a good hunting boot. Irish setters were reccommended to me by a lot of folks...But which one should I get??

will be used mostly in Fall and winter. My feet get cold when I'm sitting still but I'd like to be active as well.

anyone have a good blend of warm but not too warm? I was thinking somewhere between 400and 800gram of insulate.

ANy thoughts would be great!

Thanks in Advance!

I just bought a set of Irish Setter Elk Trackers with 600 grams of thinsulate. Took them up the haul road and hiked around all week, they are great boots. Wear some good wool socks and they will keep you warm sitting around. They come in all different insulation levels so if you want you can get more or less...

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    I'm in the market for a good hunting boot. Irish setters were reccommended to me by a lot of folks...But which one should I get??

will be used mostly in Fall and winter. My feet get cold when I'm sitting still but I'd like to be active as well.

anyone have a good blend of warm but not too warm? I was thinking somewhere between 400and 800gram of insulate.

ANy thoughts would be great!

Thanks in Advance!
    Setters are junk! I got one season out of mine and now the sole gets water in it and the boots squeak every step. Absolute junk for a set of $150 boots! The water eventually comes up through the bottom of the sole and soaks my foot. You need to scroll down on the main forums page and find the gear section, there is a wealth of knowledge on boots in AK to be gained there.
    First thing is to pony up the dough! Lowa, Kenetrek, Scarpa, Miendl, are all great boots. I prefer uninsulated for most fall hunting as do many others. When winter hits you need to get winter boots. I have some Klim snow machining boots that I wear for the purpose they were designed as well as some shoveling etc. If I you are planning to really go out and spend time in the cold get some surplus bunny boots. If you go up to the healy, clear area and look at the locals when it is -50 that is what they all have on, they are cheap and they just flat work! Of the boots I mentioned above te Kenetreks are available in a 400 gram thinsulate which Is what I have. They are not unbearable in most situations however I would rather vary the socks I wear in uninsulated boots to compensate for temps and activity rather than have boots that are too hot to use untill Sep and to cold come Nov! (even the 800 gram boots are pretty much done by Dec)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Setters are junk! I got one season out of mine and now the sole gets water in it and the boots squeak every step. Absolute junk for a set of $150 boots! The water eventually comes up through the bottom of the sole and soaks my foot. You need to scroll down on the main forums page and find the gear section, there is a wealth of knowledge on boots in AK to be gained there.
    First thing is to pony up the dough! Lowa, Kenetrek, Scarpa, Miendl, are all great boots. I prefer uninsulated for most fall hunting as do many others. When winter hits you need to get winter boots. I have some Klim snow machining boots that I wear for the purpose they were designed as well as some shoveling etc. If I you are planning to really go out and spend time in the cold get some surplus bunny boots. If you go up to the healy, clear area and look at the locals when it is -50 that is what they all have on, they are cheap and they just flat work! Of the boots I mentioned above te Kenetreks are available in a 400 gram thinsulate which Is what I have. They are not unbearable in most situations however I would rather vary the socks I wear in uninsulated boots to compensate for temps and activity rather than have boots that are too hot to use untill Sep and to cold come Nov! (even the 800 gram boots are pretty much done by Dec)

Sorry Lu, but gotta disagree with ya on this one. Maybe you had a bad pair, not sure. I have two pairs of setters, one in 400 and one in 600 (Elk hunters) and both have served me very well the past four years, in fact, no problems with either pair what so ever. One thing tho, I wouldnt wear them for the really steep climbing stuff, then definitely go with the Kene's or Lowa's.

I have a pair of Sheephunters new this year and put on at least 100 miles and my feet still hurt in them. They're sized perfect. Never had that problem b-4 with any other boots. Wussy feet I guess. They are one heck of a sturdy boot tho!

Just my two cents on the insulation: I wouldnt go more than 600 g's cuz it seems to bind/bunch over time and really messes with ya when you go on long walks.

For sitting, cant go wrong with the bunny boots; and they arent even that bad for walking in.

Default Danners

I have two pair of Danner Trophy's. I generaly take both pair and rotate boots daily while hunting hard. I have had the same boots for years. But I only were them 3 months out of the year. I have no information on the Irish Setters, I have never tried them.

Default Kenetrek

I'm personally a huge Kenetrek fan, and never have had much love for the Setters. If you're looking more for warmth while still hunting or moderate amounts of hiking in colder weather then the 13" Grizzly is a great boot. If you're looking more for traction in steep stuff then try their mountain boots and you can go with an insulated version if you're worried about the cold. I wear the Grizzly in cold weather and the Hardscrabble for really rough hiking. I figure if I need to be wearing a mountain boot then I'll be working hard enough that extra insulation won't be a factor.

http://www.kenetrek.com/

Jeff

irish setters are good boots. any gortex leaking is likely a factory defect. it happens, i had that happen with a light hiker pair of asolo's, which i replaced and have been happy with them since. the setters aren't for any steep terrain where you will be doing a lot of kicking steps, etc. a harder soled boot is good for that, as some were mentioned above. the kenetreks look nice. other companies: scarpa, lowa, asolo, the cabela brand. if you are doing more flat land alaska hunting with some slopes thrown in there, i don't think you need such stiff soled boots. their main purpose is to hold an edge when side stepping or give you what you need when kicking steps, whether that is in snow, crust, or loose shale/scree. they are also crampon compatible (most of them), which a loose soled boot like the Setters won't do.

sent you a pm as well

I really wanted to like my Setters but the fact that the sole itself has water penetrating makes them pretty useless to me. I liked that the sold was softer for moose hunting. My kenetreks Mountain boots with their stiffer sole tend to break more sticks which makes them noiser than the Setters. That is untill the soles start squeaking in the setters with each step! I also find that the setters don't provide alot of support for my feet when going up and down hills. They are fine for walking trails but when I start working up and down ridges and hills I find that I have to bunch my toes to keep my feet from sliding around. By the end of the day my toes are very sore. I can't seem to find a size or tightness that prevents this from happening!

lujon, are the kenetreks waterproof? i read some other posts (2) that sais they need to be treated often.they have a windtex membrane (i think its called that), which is a waterproof/breathable membrane, correct?

thanks

I use aqueous wax on mine to keep them in good shape and I have never had water infiltration the wax keeps the leather from soaking up water. According to the Kenetrek website the windtex membrane is waterproof. I have stood in 7"-8" of glacial fed river water for 15 minutes while clearing my outboard jet grate and I didn't get any water in them. I am guarded of giving my support to any products but I will say I have well over 100 miles perhaps close to 2 on my boots and they are in very good shape and I have never had a blister or wet feet.

Default boots

danners all the way. Im not comfortable in most boots i wear my danner pronghorns have never let me down kept me warm and dry.
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Buy what fits. Fit trumps designer labels at the end of the day.

Me? Lowa Extreme Hunters and ReviveX leather gel. They fit like slippers from the first day. If they didn't, I'd buy something else.

Talking Boots

Are you going to be climbing mountains or hunting more gentle terrain? I would look at mountaineering boots for mountain hunting i.e., La Sportiva, Scarpa, Lowa, Asolo, Mendl, AKU, Koflach. They are not necessarily the most comfortable boot on more level terrain since they are considerably more stiff than other "hunting" boots. But they will make life much more enjoyable in the mountains in my experience. I would have to agree that Setters lack on quality. I personally have had good luck with Danner for more moderate terrain. The "Made in USA" variety only. The Chinese made line they have now lack in quality in my opinion. I actually bought a pair of Lowa Sheephunter GTX's a couple of years ago that I am using for lowland hunting now that I like. IMO they are not near stiff enough for mountain hunting. They are very well built, but they are not made for sheep hunting like the name implies IMO. Nevertheless, if I could only afford one pair hunting boots for all of my hunting, these would probably fit the bill as an all around boot.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it...well after all said and done, I found a deal on some setters Raptors from cabelas. And it was a really good deal on clearance. anyway, I'll give them a go, Cabelas said if they don't work out or leak at all at anytime, just send them back for a refund or replacement.

I'll let you guys know how they hold up once I get them out on some terrain.

Default boots

I have a pair of lowa's and totally love them now, They took quite a while to break in, but they are warm and comfortable and really take a beating. For Moose hunting, knee high rubber boots, the burly style and for ice fishing some good Pac boots. Those three pair gets me thru the year.

Terry

Thumbs up late-Fall and Winter!

I like the warmth of "Bunny Boots" and or the Rocky "Snowsalkers". First, I have used the 400-800 gram insulated Cabelas and Danner 8-9" goretex types while hiking and stalking, but these are best usually in the late summer and early fall before the snows hit the ground. Lately I am taking a serious look at the Cabelas Pinnacle insulated zipper-boot for the snow and late fall hunts and for use on the atv or boat. However, in all seriousness the "Bunny Boots" do not allow for great lengths of comfort while hiking and have been used primarily while on the snogo or while still-hunting or traveling. But try skinning a moose or caribou at -20 degrees or colder and you see why I have used them. First one must decide which type of hunts you are doing. Goat or sheep hunts require some firm support in the ankle and some serious consideration for hiking rough terrain for sure...