Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan for incidental bears...

Default Plan for incidental bears...

The time to be worried about bears is almost gone, but for the fellow small game hunters like myself, what's your plan if you stumble onto something bigger and stronger than you? Particularly whilst carrying a caliber small enough for rabbits and birds.

I like to imagine that were a bear to charge I would have the speed and dexterity to pull a slug from my belt and load it into my single shot 12 gauge. Oh, and I wouldn't miss either.

Bearspray from my hip, since I carry a 22LR for rabbits I don't want to stare down a charging grizz with it!

Lets see,,,its ok to carry a large caliber handgun on your hip. I carry my .41 magnum, while small game hunting with a .22 rifle. Never know if your going to run into a moose or a bear so be prepared.

10mm on my hip.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Ruger .44 mag on my hip. It's heavy, but I carry it a lot while hiking, ATVing, or fishing all summer long so I'm used to it.

I hunt with a 12 guage and I guess I would just shoot the bear with it... I imagine a shot to the face should do a number on it so at least I would be fighting a blind bear!

I have a backpack with gun carrier slot... carry the 12 gauge in that and walk with .22 in hands... would just drop the 22 and pump the slugs out

I'm thinking I'll be in good hands with a 10/22 with a 30 or 50 round clip. Just aim for the head and open up.............

Default Be prepared

I have hunted small game for several years and I have been fortunate enough not to have had any bad encounters. I carry a .45 Glock in a chest holster. It doesn't weigh that much and doesn't get in the way. I am sure that bear spray would work as well.

Wink .44 Mag and Lotsa Slugs

I shoot a Mossberg 500(7+1 capacity), so I just carry 4 slugs on the side of the reciever and leave room for two of them in the magazine... I know if its a surprise attack I may not have time to load em, but I have practiced practiced practiced and am not shabby at getting them into action by any means. I carry extra slugs in coat pocket and of course my ever-present .44 mag in tactical leg holster.

Biggest rule I have is if I am trying to flush birds in thick brush I am very careful to scout for bear sign first, and even then if I am hunting alone or in an area I deem high risk, I will put a slug in the mag so I have to cycle twice to get to the birdshot - gives me one slug right there right now for an emergency situation yet barely slows me down from nailing a birdie... have only lost 3 birds or so to this technique (flying faster than I could get to the birdshot)

For the most part, I steer clear of the thick stuff and bank on keeping alert to my surroundings to give me the time I would need to load up the rest of the slugs if things look like they are about to take a turn downhill...

Will I ever go afield with only a .22 or only birdshot/single shot shotgun -- not in Alaska... had too many close calls growing up while hunting the birdies...

Default 2 dogs and luck I guess

I hunt with two very active dogs that do the brush work for me so don't tend to stumble into the thick stuff to often. I have only ever had one run in, and that was with a blackie and it was heading the other way just as fast as it could. I do carry a .44 on the chest in the early part of the season, but It gets switched out for an AR15 over the shoulder for bunnies, foxes, and maybe someday a Wolf or Lynx. I guess if I run into an upset brownie late in the snow I hope 30 rounds of 55 gr FMJ will at least get it to think twice. Then again there was the Polar Bear incodent up in Fort Yukon last year, yikes!

Make noise?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKJim View Post
    I have hunted small game for several years and I have been fortunate enough not to have had any bad encounters. I carry a .45 Glock in a chest holster. It doesn't weigh that much and doesn't get in the way. I am sure that bear spray would work as well.
    been at it all my life.. never had a bad encounter. hd one stand up infront of me once she had 3 cubs but as long as i minded my manners so did she... most bears dont want any truck with... dont stand on their kills.. though. that'll get ya
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    been at it all my life.. never had a bad encounter. hd one stand up infront of me once she had 3 cubs but as long as i minded my manners so did she... most bears dont want any truck with... dont stand on their kills.. though. that'll get ya
    Had two encounters the last two years.....

Had one a couple of years ago, as soon as I left to walk up the trail to the cabin put his big furry paw print right on my boat seat, print was 6" across, I was only gone for a half an hour. Yea he was probably watching me the whole time. I can't help it I get a kick outa them criters, but I do carry a 44, and the hair does crawl up the back of my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Make noise?
    That's my plan...a 3" Brenneke slug makes a lot of noise!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    That's my plan...a 3" Brenneke slug makes a lot of noise!
    Yes it does...along with huge wound channels.

I keep 3 in my mag tube with 4 #5s ahead of them.

I just use bird shot in my 12ga. I have a freind that uses the same tactic and had to use it once. He put three rounds of 4 shot into a brown bear in southeast while duck hunting at 25ft the bear turned ran about 75yds and was done. When he skinned it out the damage was incredibale. If you are using it for self defence your going to be shooting at close range. Next time you are at the range set up a pice of carboard at say 15yds, shoot a slug through it then shoot some bird shot. Even 8 shot has a pretty tight pattern up close and will cause a lot of damage.

Smile Birdshot/slugs

You could have one or two birdshot loads followed by slugs in the rest of the magazine.

Smile Sidearm

Freedom Arms 454 Casull. 360 grain WLNGC hardcast bullets at 1500 f.p.s. or so. Or pack a bear protection rifle and pack a .22 handgun on your side for small game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast