Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage area moose

Default Anchorage area moose

Anyone out there know if the moose in the Anchorage bowl are still in rut? I did have a bull come in while calling on Wednesday morning but things didn't work out. I am hitting it hard this weekend and would like to know if calling is still an effective method for hunting moose this time of year.

I know it would take some time away from your hunting, but if you want to know if the rut is still in swing, go up to the Flattop parking lot and walk out to Powerline Pass with a pair of binoculars. Within a 10 minute walk you should be able to observe at least 20 moose, and you should be able to see how they're behaving.

I would love to do that but it would kill me to see so many big bulls and the only thing I can shoot them with is my camera. I'm thinking my best bet is to try and get up high and see if I can spot one with the bino's.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I would love to do that but it would kill me to see so many big bulls and the only thing I can shoot them with is my camera. I'm thinking my best bet is to try and get up high and see if I can spot one with the bino's.
    I agree. That is a tried and true method for hunting higher ground.

went up to flatop last tuesday and they are really in rut up there. there was probably a 65inch + bull up there with 11 cows. you could hear bulls and cows call every now and then. probably saw 5 bulls over 50 and probably 40 moose.

Default Its winding down

I probably spend about as much time with the moose around anchorage as anyone this time of year and the rut is definitely winding down. There is still alot of late post rutting activity, however they are not responding to calls near as much and the bulls are spending the majority of there time lying around on the hillsides. That being said however I was able to get some good shots this past weekend of classic rut activity in the snow. Something I did not have alot of until now.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Man, Cory! Those are great pictures!

Default WOW

Fantastic photos!

love that last photo!
    Semper Fi!

Default cool

Nice pictures, thank you for sharing.

If I was hunting and saw that moose and it wasn't HUGE like it is, but rather mid 40s I'd have to give a good long look to see of that was really 3 browtines on his left side there. Pretty cool pics though.

I wouldn't shoot him based on brow tines, he only has 2 per side.

Very nice photo's - thanks for sharing them!
    For you moose pro's, here's a couple questions!

1. How often does a moose need a drink? Several times a day? Once?

2. If you see a bull feeding in a bay, small lake etc is it pretty reliable to see that same critter there every day?

Just trying to determine if its worth the time to stake out a place for say 3 days in a row if a bull has been sighted there? I am looking at a hunt in Ontario about htis time next year and the animals will be winding down the rut activity - calling can still produce but there are few "high" vantage points so that usually means find a place with tracks and plant your butt - or boat ride alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    If I was hunting and saw that moose and it wasn't HUGE like it is, but rather mid 40s I'd have to give a good long look to see of that was really 3 browtines on his left side there. Pretty cool pics though.
    Two and Two, with a bay tine on the left side. Starting to see quite a few of these guys like this, as the gene pool of bulls with lots of brow tines is beginning to get eliminated in some areas.

Default moose

Moose will not likley be at the same water source every day, they wander quite a bit. Now if it is the only water for several miles, maybe, but rarely is water so isolated in moose country. If you can locate a heavily used travel corridor passing water then sit on it. They will make rounds.

what happen to the pictures?
    Semper Fi!

so just where was this moose at? lol...i still need to fill my ft. rich tag and that one would do the job!

Default not for you

That moose is miles from ft rich, in the park.

Sweeeet pics!

Great pics. You never seem to fail.

Did you call him in for better viewing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast