Thread: MVS Range news

Default MVS Range news

Revised Re-Opening Dates
    At present, it appears that the range will be unable to re-open until at least October 15, 2008. We have experienced a few more unavoidable dalays such as commonly occur when working to complete a large-scale project.

Because we are an all-volunteer,
    501(c)(3), non-profit organization, some parts of the HVAC project have had to move at the speed of our volunteers. We were unable to secure the amount of money needed from the state and from donation requests to contract out the entire project. We tried this last fall (September/October of 2007), but found no one willing to bid on the job for the amount of money we had. Therefore, many volunteer hours had to be expended for this project both before the shutdown in June and up to and including the present.

We are all anxious to resume range operations and to have the opportunity to engage in the shooting sports we love. I know I miss the shooting, and the opportunity to work with the many good people in our club as a Range Safety Officer, and as club president.

We are near the finish line on this project. As we complete the last remaining tasks rquired prior to re-opening, I must, once again, ask for your patience. We are moving the opening date from October 11th to the 15th. The HVAC system is in, but still needs controls and balancing.

We will open on Wednesday, October 15th at 6 PM. I look forward to seeing you at the range.
    -Steve Montgomery

Range Safety Officers
    Returning Range Officers and potential Range Officers: if you did not come to the Range Officer meetings on Sept. 27 & 28; you need to contact Brian Pinney by phone (232-6480) or by e-mail at:

Also, if you have a locker at the range, contact Brian Pinney.

Thanks to our returning ROs and those who have expressed an interest in becoming a Range Safety Officer for MVS.

Work Party - Thanks
    We accomplished much in cleaning the range, re-painting, and preparing the range to re-open on Sept 27 & 28, 2008. Thanks to the following volunteers for their help on the Sept. 27th & 28th work parties: Paul Brown, John Stenaugle, Jerry Mason, Brian Pinney, Terrie Pinney, Al White, Steve Montgomery, Brenda Montgomery, Jason Porter, Paul Campbell, Lee Stoner, Noel Woods, Bill Barber, Noel Woods, Greg Lipman, Dave Pinney. I apologize if we’ve left anyone out. (-Steve)

Lighting Thanks
    Thanks to Bill and Kenny Barber and Noel Woods for brightening our range with new light downrange.

Clean and Freshly Painted
    Speaking of bright, wait till you see the “brand-spanking-new” paint job in the classroom area. It looks great. Brian Pinney has cleaned and removed much of the clutter, and has led the effort to clean up the place.-Thanks, Brian.

Membership Extended to Cover Shutdown
    All memberships will be extended for four (4) months from the date of their issue to compensate for the range shutdown/HVAC upgrade. For example, if your membership was set to expire in July, 2008. It will now expire in November, 2008.

Friends of the NRA
    What: Friends of NRA State Banquet
    When: Oct 11 doors open at 5:00pm
    Where: Sheraton Hotel, Downtown Anchorage
    Tickets: Northern Knives in Anchorage, or Denny Hamann: 907-354-3022 cell

Gun Show –help needed
    The AGCA gun show is the 11th & 12th. We need volunteers to help man
    the table Sat & Sun. . Call Susan Grasser, 841-0208 cell or email:

Winter Hours Effective upon re-opening
    When we re-open we will be on our winter hours schedule.

Mondays 6-9 PM
    Wednesdays 6-9 PM
    Fridays Noon- 9 PM
    Saturdays 4 PM – 9 PM
    Sundays 4 PM -9 PM

Next Board Meeting
    The next Board of Directors Meeting will be held on Thursday, November 14,
    2008 at 7:00 PM at the MVS Range Complex.

Upcoming Classes
    All classes are cancelled until after re-opening on approximately November 1, 2008. Call or stop by for details after the range re-opens.

The outdoor range remains unavailable for general use until we announce it as open to the public. Questions regarding the progress of the outdoor range should be directed to our project manager, Dick Barlow 745-2784.

User Group News
    Matches are held the first Saturday and third Sunday of each month. Contact Allen Chapman for details/schedule. 357-2480or by e-mail at

The Alaska 49ers Cowboy Action Shooting Club will return to MVS on October 26. Contact Brenda Montgomery (Outpost Rider) at 746-3090 for details/schedule.

For more information contact: George Strother 376-3865, Joe Bishop 338-8375 or Andrea Tesch 333-0265.

Words of Wisdom
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena…”
    ~ Theodore Roosevelt

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain."
    ~ John Adams

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775
    ~ Thomas Paine

"When they took the 4th Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs. When they took the 6th Amendment, I was quiet because I am innocent. When they took the 2nd Amendment, I was quiet because I don't own a gun. Now they have taken the 1st Amendment, and I can only be quiet."
    ~Lyle Myhr

We now have Matanuska Valley Sportsmen hats for sale. Prices range from $15 to $18 for these attractive hats.

For sale: Gas generator, Honda motor
    Dewalt, Pressure Washer, Dewalt, Air compressor. Contractor models, new & under warranty
    Call 841-0208 for details.

Current MVS Board Members
    Steve Montgomery, Pres., 746-3090
    Noel Woods, Vice-President, 745-3027
    Jon Leary, Secretary, 745-8531
    Susan Grasser, Treasurer, 745-3772
    Bob Lochman, 248-9676
    Pat Reed, 376-6826
    Earl Lackey, 376-1003

Brian Pinney, Range Mgr., 232-6480

Default where are you located

where is the range located?