Thread: Kodiak worth it.

Default Kodiak worth it.

I have always been in love with kodaik and wanted to move there from southeast despite the fact that there is a more conservitive harves system. But I just recently heard the majority of close accessible lands are now void of hunting. Lets Say all I have is a 16 skiff and a 1 day a week to hunt. Am I basicly now screwed out of conveiniant hunting spots. Is there any hope for me if I have Mt. goat legs and a will to hike. Or would moving to kodaik be like moving to oregon? I hate taking long gas guzzling trips every other month. I just like to get out there. Thanks for the input.

road system limits are slim even if you do access some country, most ground you'll get to in your skiff won't be that great, goat huntings good, but you gotta get a tag, deer limit is one, bear limit is one every four years, duck and rabbit ground is shrinking with the native land use stuff...
    SE, registration goat hunts, more deer limits, black bears, brown bears that aren't drawing, fish and warmer weather...hummmmm stay in SE and just visit kodiak....that way your idea of it won't spoil.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    road system limits are slim even if you do access some country, most ground you'll get to in your skiff won't be that great, goat huntings good, but you gotta get a tag, deer limit is one, bear limit is one every four years, duck and rabbit ground is shrinking with the native land use stuff...
    SE, registration goat hunts, more deer limits, black bears, brown bears that aren't drawing, fish and warmer weather...hummmmm stay in SE and just visit kodiak....that way your idea of it won't spoil.
    True enough. The feds and the native corps have Kodiak locked up big time. If you don't like high gas bills, just wait till you get one of the Air Taxi Bills.

Default Native Lands

Leisnoi has locked up a lot of the lands on the road system, and even though it hasn't been discussed much, most of the islands around Kodiak are owned by the natives and there is almost a daily barrage of ads in the local paper saying the islands belong to them and unless you are a shareholder you will be prosecuted for trespassing. If you are coming for the hunting, you will likely be disappointed, unless you belong to one of the native corporations over here.

v/r
    Gary