Thread: ordering to build your own

Default ordering to build your own

I was about to finally put in my order for at Track of the Wolf for the parts to build my guns, and the shipping came out to over $200. I played around with it some, and if I remove the stock from the order, I can get everything else shipped for less than $60.

Has anybody else run into this? Know of any places up here that I can buy a chunk of red maple suitable to carve a stock out of?

I think if you cal them up you can get it down even more.

Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    I was about to finally put in my order for at Track of the Wolf for the parts to build my guns, and the shipping came out to over $200. I played around with it some, and if I remove the stock from the order, I can get everything else shipped for less than $60.

Has anybody else run into this? Know of any places up here that I can buy a chunk of red maple suitable to carve a stock out of?
    My full response is over at the MLF, but TOW is nuts on this one. I got a fully assembled 12-pound rifle with a 36" barrel shipped up here for around $30.

got a link to your full response?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    got a link to your full response?
    I could give one, but you need to be a member to get on the site. I've cut and pasted the post though:

"Don't know of a stock source up here, but TOW is so far out of their gourds they can't even see the garden.

I had a fully assembled, 36" barreled 12-pound rifle shipped up here from The Gun Works in Oregon. They shipped it Priority Mail, and it cost me around $30. If TOW can't get their act together on this, I know for sure that TGW will sell you a stock blank and not soak you for the trouble. Bet there are more, too."

And since posting there and here, I went and did some digging for the box and the invoice. Here's my second post over there:

" Okay, I was wrong.

I just checked the box from TGW, and total shipping weight including packaging and some other stuff I bought was 18 pounds. I dug out the invoice and they charged me $42. And that included the insurance TGW put on it.

TOW needs to get a life on their shipping. Last time I checked Alaska was still part of the union. Even if it's not part of the "continental US", the difference in shipping costs is small. Other shippers to Alaska take note. I'm about 110% fed up with the nonsense."

The Gun Works site is here. Just about the nicest, most cooperative folks I've ever worked with, and you wouldn't believe all the guns they have in that place! They're in Springfield OR just south of Portland, and if you're ever in Portland you owe it to yourself to make the short drive. Be forewarned that I have NEVER walked out of that place with as much money as I had going in!

what is that site your posting on?

I was just curious to read if anyone has gotten around TOW shipping prices.

Sorry. Got so wound up about prices I didn't read you correctly. It's The Muzzeloader Forum.

It's without a doubt one of the best places for authoritative info on traditional muzzleloading and everything that goes with it, but zero tollerance for inlines, plastic sabots, scopes and such. Though forum rules allow about anything up till the era of the civil war, some of the yahoos even get their knickers in a knot when the subject of all-lead conicals comes up. Well worth your while, and even if you fail to watch your footwork, all but the yahoos will be gentle in reminding you the rules. But wherever you go on the web, yahoos will be yahoos will be yahoos. Laugh at them and move on.

Thats the one I thought you were talking about. I have been a member there for awhile. I dont visit it that often, but it is a good site if you follow the protocol over there.

Good place to find used muzzloaders too if your looking for a traditional one.

Schloss, Try Pecatonica Long Rifle Supply. They precarve most of Track's stocks and generally you'll get a better piece of wood even if it's the same grade by buying through them. You might give them a call at (815)968-1995), I don't have my invoices handy, but I know it costs a heck of a lot less than $200 bucks to get a blank shipped up here. If you are going with a precarve, they most likely have an identical one. Track is good for small parts,locks,and such,but that kind of shipping cost is insane. I generally source parts out from different places, but for wood Pecatonica is the best I've dealt with. Good luck on your build, Kyle

Default Shipping to Alaska

Schloss,

You should call TOW to get an accurate shipping rate.
    I have found that every company that sells ML stuff and has an online order form has an outragous shipping fee attached. But if you call them and place your order over the phone you will get a more accurate price.
    I order fro TOW several times a year and have had no problems.

I did call Track and, after a few emails, got a real quote. I'm looking at less than $100 for shipping now. I also called Pecatonica and talked to them, but can't decide what to do. There are a few other items I wanted to order from Track, like sheets of brass for making a few parts, a jeweler's saw, etc., so I'd probably be making an order to Track anyway, so I'll end about the same on shipping, if I have to order from 2 separate companies.

I agree with Brownbear on this, though, and Track really needs to fix this shipping issue. I'm going to call again and talk to them about the shipping, because I still think it's too much, but will probably pay it if I have to.

Are there places locally where I can buy smaller pieces of sheet brass?

Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    Are there places locally where I can buy smaller pieces of sheet brass?
    I saw sheet brass in the little hobby shop right behind REI on Spenard. Don't recall the details, but it seems like they had quite a variety.

As for ordering it all from TOW, I'd probably do the same. Every time I order from them I have this whole long list of small stuff I always slip in with the big. Good outfit, even if they need to work on their image over the whole shipping thing.