Thread: Deer in PWS

Default Deer in PWS

Anybody been out deer hunting in PWS. I am going out on the 23rd to the 27th and was wondering how the deer population was.

Default Deer

I went last fall on Knight Island covered many miles up high in the snow and seen two deer's rear end far away. Years ago I was successful in the same area but, overall experience numbers were way down last fall. I was around Drier bay area.

Default deer

Give the local biologist a call, I have found that they are willing to share information when asked. They will give an idea where the biggest concentration of deer are. Is this a drop off hunt or are you goint to have access to a boat the entire hunt. Running the shoreline is a good tatic this time of year.

Default Green Island

I was on Green Island last Sat and Sunday. Went ashore at the Gibbons protected anchorage. Walked in the open meadows almost to the south side of the island. Some deer sign, some tracks, saw a rub, but didnt see any deer on Sat or Sunday. I heard some shooting on the east side of the island, and also saw a float plane on the west side. I myself thought hunting deer isnt worth it unless you hunt in Kodiak from a boat. Lots of good blueberries on the high bushes. I think the deer numbers are down this year, record snow in Kodiak and I think the sound has numbers down as well. I am pretty sure the area I went ashore gets pounded hard by everyone. Deer probably come out a dawn and dusk. Good luck.

Thanks, I will have access to a boat so we should be mobile. Will give the biologist a call before I go.