Thread: Elk Country Journal AK bear hunt

Default Elk Country Journal AK bear hunt

Anyone watching Outdoor channel featuring a 16B bear hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Anyone watching Outdoor channel featuring a 16B bear hunt?
    Am now, but that don't look like 16B! lol.....

Skeeters looked like 16b. Little pig of a bear thou.

Was that a honey burn they were doing and if so is that not illegal without a bait station permit? If they had one I remember no mention of it and I saw nothing that resembled a bait station except the burn.

Doug

Default POW

That was Cameron Hanes he ALWAYS hunts POW - I would bet that was where he was. Where did you egt 16b?

There were two groups one in unit 16 and one in the SE hunting Blacktails. They didn't show the bait in the camera but they were hunting over a bait stand and stated as much at the beginning of the show. They also didn't play it up as a trophy hunt, they simply stated that it was an area overpopulated with bears depressing the ungulate population, and that bait was more or less a great way to get the kids involved both with the hard work of setting it up as well as a great opportuity for success. Pretty much the same mantra we have rehashed here a bunch of times. It seemed like a decent show. The bears were not very big but the purpose of the program there is to kill bears not just big bears. I thought the bow shot that dropped that bear on the spot was pretty impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There were two groups one in unit 16 and one in the SE hunting Blacktails. They didn't show the bait in the camera but they were hunting over a bait stand and stated as much at the beginning of the show. They also didn't play it up as a trophy hunt, they simply stated that it was an area overpopulated with bears depressing the ungulate population, and that bait was more or less a great way to get the kids involved both with the hard work of setting it up as well as a great opportuity for success. Pretty much the same mantra we have rehashed here a bunch of times. It seemed like a decent show. The bears were not very big but the purpose of the program there is to kill bears not just big bears. I thought the bow shot that dropped that bear on the spot was pretty impressive!
    I knew I had to have missed something on the show as I know it would not have been shown had it not been on the up and up. I had no problem with the small bear as I have killed my share of them, they eat great in the spring. I was very happy to see the kids involved and I was happy to see them get their first bear.

I agree it was a good show and I enjoyed it but of course I like all the Alaska shows.

Default 16B

The showed a map of the hunting area and talked about it being 16B at the beginning of the show. They went several hours up the Su.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    The showed a map of the hunting area and talked about it being 16B at the beginning of the show. They went several hours up the Su.
    That would have taken them into somewhere other than 16B then. From the mouth of the Big Su, to the confluence of the Yentna, where they would have then left 16B, is only about an hour and a half, even in a slow jet boat. My guess, and I did not see the show, was that they were up the Yentna. Lots of bears up there that need killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    That would have taken them into somewhere other than 16B then. From the mouth of the Big Su, to the confluence of the Yentna, where they would have then left 16B, is only about an hour and a half, even in a slow jet boat. My guess, and I did not see the show, was that they were up the Yentna. Lots of bears up there that need killing.
    You are right

Cameron Hanes is a good friend of Roy Roth. Roy hunts extensively in 16B and I believe he has a cabin up the Yentna.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Cameron Hanes is a good friend of Roy Roth. Roy hunts extensively in 16B and I believe he has a cabin up the Yentna.
    He hunts up the Hayes. But that is a whole nuther story right there. Forum rules prohibit me from commenting further about them.

deer hunters were on afognak they said...
    that kid smoked that bear too..nice work. caught a decent king too, had a pic of it in the credits.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Definately up the Yetna. Recognized Mt Susitna in the background as they ran up the river.