Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New M70

Default New M70

Handled a new M70 at Sportsmans in Wasilla today. They have two FWT's in, one in 270 and one in 30-06. The wood looked nice, and metal to wood fit was good. The things different that jumped out at me was, the floorplate/trigger guard is a one piece unit made of a hardened plastic similar to the classic's triggerguard. "2008 special edition" was written on the floorplate. The barrel appeared to be free-floated with no wood touching barrel anywhere. The recoil pad is a hunk of rubber. Quite big imo. The machining looked good, and new trigger was flawless (I'll still take the old trigger over a box-type unit). Overall, nice gun, didnt have the feel of a pre-64 to me. Basically a classic with better attention paid to the wood to metal fit. Now someone go buy one and tell me how it shoots

Default Finally!

Glad to see the new Model 70's are finally on the dealer shelves. Now, if they will offer a 24" stainless version with iron sights in either .375 H&H or even .375 Ruger caliber I'm in!!! I'd also like to see a .338 Winchester Magnum caliber in the same rifle as well - 24" barrel. Yes, I'd buy one of each!

Default Satisfied owner

I bought one of the new M70 Featherweight .30-06 about a month ago. I wasn't even aware that they were on the dealer shelves yet. I happened to wonder in to Boondocks and they had one, so had to have it. Topped it with Talleys and a VXIII 2.5-8. I have had it out to the range a couple of times, maybe a total of 40 rounds. Initial accuracy is very acceptable - under MOA. I haven't done any real load development for this rifle. Just been shooting some 165gr Partitions that I had previously loaded for another of my rifles chambered in "Caliber .30, Model of 1906". Overall, I like the new M70s (at least the featherweight model), easy on the eyes, pretty nice fit and finish, decent trigger, flawless handling. No, it ain't no pre 64 and the new trigger does seem kind of complicated to this simple pilgrim (wish they hadn't messed with perfection). Anyways, good to have the rifleman's rifle back in production.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Question Mod. 70 trigger

Does anyone know if a old Mod. 70 trigger can be fitted to the new mod 70?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Does anyone know if a old Mod. 70 trigger can be fitted to the new mod 70?
    I believe that is a negative.

Is the floorplate really plastic? Floorplates are not cheap.

No offence to owners of the new guns but I dont see the new version bringing down the prices of the old ones.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Where's the plastic?

Hate to disappoint detractors. Magnet and visual inspection appears that floorplate is steel, trigger guard is aluminum. Rumors are that Williams is producing the bottom metal on the new M70s. I agree that the older CRF M70s will always command a good price. In fact I recently paid close to the same price for a classic stainless just so I could use the action for a custom build.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 10-10-2008 at 12:07. Reason: addition

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default new model 70

Sportsman's in Anc has one on the shelf and they are happy to let you play with it. I like it.

Default GNG has a couple

Great Northern Guns off Tudor has a couple of them - I don't remember the calibers.

I noticed in looking at the end of the barrel / locking lug area that there was some of brass "shavings" evident. Don't know if the shavings came from sample firing and some rough edges or what but their presence was kind of odd in a new gun.

The floor plate looked to be steel with a plastic trigger guard - I think my older Coyote is similar.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Are they going to make the new Model 70 in .375 HH and stainless? Or does anyone know?

Are they being produced in left handed versions? Checked the website, no info on lefties... unless I didn't look hard enough.

You want your eyes opened, check out the Non-Catalog listings on the site.

How about a 1895 Takedown in 405 for $1321?

Or an 1886 Takedown in 45-90 for $1321?

Or an 1885 High Wall in 38-55, 45-70 or 405 for $1260 or a 45-90 BPCR for $1494.

There's more too.

If those are for real and available, maybe the turnover in Winchester isn't such a bad deal after all!

I agree, the old trigger system cannot be beat. It was simple, direct & proven!

Now that 375H&H or 375Ruger idea with some decent iron sights, as seen on the Ruger African/Alaskan would work.
    I would also like to see the 338WinMag chambered. How the 300WM got the nod over the 338WM or 7mmRemMag has me baffled

Is there any news of these cal's coming forth?

I hope there isn't any polymer on the new M70's . Not that I care too much on some rigs. I just prefer to keep one of the best designs CLASSIC & unchanged.
    I can live with the new trigger, but polymer on a CRF M70, no thank you.

2009 Winchester dealers catalog shows Model 70 FWT chambered in 338WM, should be interesting. Appears that Winchester is chambering all the WSMs except 7WSM. (Figure it is on its last legs, shame too.) Probably start to see some of the all weather versions start hitting the distributors before long. For right now FWTs in 270WIN and 30-06SPR are the only rifles available. FN is plenty busy filling government contracts; the sporting arms are trickling out, testing what the market will bear. Economy being what it is many of the few that have been produced are still sitting on dealer shelves. (These days black rifles are taking precedence over wood and blue). Buy the new M70s and they will build more.

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Thanks for the link. Looks like they added a few calibers, most notably the 338 and 25-06. Still holding out for a Roberts

I have a new model 70 feather weight in 300 win mag. I am impressed with this gun. Every factory load I have tried grouped at one inch at 100 yards. When I took it to the range it was pretty cold out. I usually shoot better at a warmer teperature. It is a much better gun than the 300 win mag classic stainless that I traded off last year.

Thumbs up I love it.

Picked up a new Featherweight in 30-06 2 weeks ago, the wait for my VXII to arrive from Cabelas took forever. What a nice rifle! It was colder than snot yesterday when I got a chance to shoot about 30 rounds of 150, 165 and 180gr. Winchester factory ammo through it but after finding zero in 4 shots it was producing sub MOA groups. That big rubber thing on the back is a Pachmeyer Decelerator and it did a great job of taming the recoil as did the fleece under my jacket.

All in all, I think I have found my new AK hunting buddy as after dragging 3 deer down the mountain just a couple of miles from where that Montana guy was mauled this month I decided I won't be taking my .270 To Kodiak anymore. When we were on the ferry returning home, a bear hunter advised us that that the helicopter we heard was medivacing him and for the first time in 3 Kodiak deer hunts I felt a little undergunned. I guess I'll save the .270 for if I get a chance to hunt Wyoming mulies or something.

Cool to see that the 7mm wsm is back for the '09 rifles. I want the all-weather 243 model 70.

Default I love my too

I have had my M-70 Featherweight 30-06 for about six weeks. I used sixty rounds for barrel break-in, the last 20 were 5 shot groups using Federal Gold 168 gr match. I had an eye infection and did not do my best work. The four 5 shot groups averaged 1.25. I hand loaded some H-4350 with Sierra 168 match and the barrel did not like the loads. Tried Varget with same bullet and four different powder charges, each with 12 cartridges. Shot four 3 shot groups with each powder charge. First set averaged 1.05, second averaged .83 third averaged .69, and the forth averaged .94. Between the second and third powder charges groups I tried some Lake City match 173 gr @ 2640. My brother and I each shot a five shot group. The POI moved left 1.5" and down 1.5" groups were near 1.5 MOA. Moral of the story is the barrel may be very sensitive to cartridge used.

After this session of 58 rounds shot thru the barrel came home and cleaned the barrel. After twenty patches (no brushing) all the gilding was gone from the mussel, and patches were clean. I do not own any gun that cleans like this one. Maybe FN knows how to make barrels.

I check trigger pull and as stated by Winchester it was very near 3.75#. Tried to remove the action from the stock, could not get them apart. Took it to my gunsmith, after about half hour we got it apart. Now I have bedded a number of stocks and also had gunsmiths bedded some. However I have never seen bedding any better than what was done by Winchester. Also it is not like some mfg use no more than hot glue or none at all. Winchester uses true bedding even on the tang, you could not ask for anything better. I adjusted the trigger pull down to 3#, and would not trade it for a pre 64 trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast