Thread: Eklutna Moose?

Question Eklutna Moose?

Has anyone ever hunted the RM 445 moose hunt around Eklutna Lake? I know a guy who did so unsuccessfully years ago, but I'd love to hear your more recent experiences - both good and bad. I'm not set on this hunt, but it's close to home and open late. Might be a nice way to extend my hunting season, especially since I can only find a day here and a day there. Thanks!

-Brian

Default B M

Just go there, there's a nice camp site there, so you time won't be wasted, you could do some scouting around, look for moose browse, young willow bush, & shrubs, moose tracks, scat, scrapes, bedding etc. etc., if you find only a scant amount in all your looking, then I would say that it would be a waste of time.

Default busy place

Eklutna is a pretty busy place, so you'll have company - moose hunters, other hunters and non-hunters. It doesn't have the highest numbers of moose around but they are there. The registration hunt has a limit of 4 bulls and they always seem to kill the 4. Might as be with one of your arrows?

Eklutna Lake is really busy up there, especially from what I remember from a few years back. If I recall correctly, there was a bull that was hit by a car that had an antler spread that almost went 70".

Default tried it last year

I went out last year for the end of the archery registration hunt, within two hours I had called in three hunters and they tramped right through my nice little clearing. If you can try during the week when less people are out there. Saw one bull but he was way up the mountain on the south side of the lake. Good luck!

Steve

Thanks for all of the replies. I know the area pretty well, so I'm aware of the people who hike/bike in the area. Weekends are all I have, unfortunately, but I still may try. I'm trying to decide at this point whether I should try calling or if I should hike and spot/stalk. There isn't much for clearings, but Steve says he did spot one... I have a kayak that I can take across the lake, so I was thinking of going that route. Maybe if I paddled a mile or two up the far side of the lake I could put some space between me and the competition. Any thoughts on that? Also, are there any clearings of decent size on the other side? I might fly the area tomorrow night just to get a better feel for what I'd be hunting. I've climbed the ridges above the lake a lot, but have never paid much attention to the valley bottom. Thanks for the replies!

-Brian

Default Right on

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. I know the area pretty well, so I'm aware of the people who hike/bike in the area. Weekends are all I have, unfortunately, but I still may try. I'm trying to decide at this point whether I should try calling or if I should hike and spot/stalk. There isn't much for clearings, but Steve says he did spot one... I have a kayak that I can take across the lake, so I was thinking of going that route. Maybe if I paddled a mile or two up the far side of the lake I could put some space between me and the competition. Any thoughts on that? Also, are there any clearings of decent size on the other side? I might fly the area tomorrow night just to get a better feel for what I'd be hunting. I've climbed the ridges above the lake a lot, but have never paid much attention to the valley bottom. Thanks for the replies!

-Brian
    Your Kayak idea is exactly what I would do, except I'd take a raft and electric motor. Gotta be tough fitting that moose in the kayak with you? I seem to recall some open areas you can glass up there, but I haven't gone in a couple years.

I would avoid calling unless you are sure that you are away from everyone. My experience with calling is the same as alaskariverguy - I spent alot of time talking to other hunters.

Default raft

Brian,
    I have thought about the raft idea to the otherside for the last year or two. My moose hunting looks to be nill if I don't for this year. I will be in Kodiak this weekend but was thinking about trying to go next weekend. Let me know if you are interested or if you end up going this weekend & what you find.
    Also thinking about having a buddy take me to do a fly over once during the week to see what it looks like on that side.
    Thanks,

Brian,
    Be really careful if there's any wind, especially out of the east. The waves can really stack up off the point on the south shore.

Default Eklutna

I've hunted it unsuccessfully for the past three years. This isn't to say that there are not moose - I just don't seem be the great moose killer.
    Last year the season closed before the four moose were harvested... I believe F&G said only three were taken.
    The year before it closed early, four were taken in rather short order.
    With the weather so warm, you may be smarter to hunt high, as the bulls seem to hang up there until they get pushed down by the snow.
    Totally concur that a raft/kayak/canoe is the way to go... gets you away from other users of the area... at least you will only be calling four legged critters - I called in a couple of two-legged cows last year (grin). I haven't determined if that's a testament to my bull calls, or that they don't know a sad sounding moose when they hear one! ;-)
    As you stated, it's close to Anchorage, generally opened later than other areas... and you are NOT sitting at home watching OLN!
    Good luck!

Well, this rain sure is screwing up my plan of flying the area tonight. I was going to look there and one other area to decide where I really wanted to hunt as per the lay of the land (clearings, etc.). I'll probably still make a go of it this weekend, but I may do 14A instead. If I go, I'll post a report later in the weekend. Thanks, all!

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Brian,
    Be really careful if there's any wind, especially out of the east. The waves can really stack up off the point on the south shore.
    I was going to say the same thing. I've seen whitecaps out there on that lake at one time.

Well, I wandered the area a bit today, but only for about 4 hours. I walked across the spillway and followed a really small flagged trail for about a mile in both directions. I did some calling, but it was really thick, so it's difficult to see anything unless it's right on top of you. I didn't see any moose, and only a little bit of sign. I did hear two calls spaced by about 7 minutes, but I was reluctant to follow them. I couldn't pinpoint the source, and after reading earlier posts about guys calling in hunters, well....I didn't want to be that guy. Might have been a moose, but given the terrain and the experience, I didn't want to take that chance.

I did see a large black bear cross the road on the drive in and a few spruce grouse, but they flew before I could draw my bow. Not a bad way to spend a day, but I wasn't thrilled with the prospects. Maybe the other end of the lake would be worth a look.

-Brian

Default Moose

I have hunted this area in the past without success. I have the opportunity to hunt sheep this year with the ds140 tag oct 1-10 and thought about spending some time up Eklutna moose/sheep/blackie combo. When I hunted the area, it seemed to me that a lot of hunters were concentrating on the area toward the southwest end of the lake(easy access). Just my 2 cents worth. Good Hunting

Default tried myself

well went up and did about 5hrs worth of looking/scouting/ hunting. Some sign, nothing very impressive. Hunted the south east end of the lake, near the inlet. Hiked up the river/stram valley aways. Does anyone know where moose were taken in years past? I thought about doing the spillway trail next time, and topo wise it looked a little bit more promising, but yes it is thick in alot of places there. Does anyone know if a moose was taken there this year? The palmer ADF&G said no one has reported any yet.

Default 9/29 report

I spoke to F&G friday afternoon about 4pm and only one moose has been taken so far. I spent several hours poking around today and only found a little sign. If everyone and there brother goes in tomorrow on 4 wheelers is there room at the far end of the lake to move about?