Thread: Can Stainless Props be Rebuilt?

Default Can Stainless Props be Rebuilt?

I hit an * (that's a rock on your GPS!) with my new stainless props, trashed them good but no missing metal. Can stainless props be rebuilt? I am in Valdez, so will have to ship to Fairbanks, Anchorage or ??? to get it done, any suggestions for prop shops?

Cap'n Ron

Default Yes

you can have SS props rebuilt. We used to have them rebuilt after many years of running the river and they wore down from gravel and sandbars. Or spun hubs, which is a little different though.

I don't know anyone in Anchorage that does SS. Google Power Tech, they may be able to help you. I think the website is www.ptprop.com

Give Mike at A-1 Propeller & Impeller a call. 344-7767. I think he can help you out. My dealings with him have been great.

Default Check the lower units

Make sure you double check your lower unit (s). In my experience, any contact that's severe enough to significantly damage a ss prop usually damages the lower unit. Good luck

Default thanks guys

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Sierra Hotel you got that right, I had to replace the lower units, bent the shafts, cracked the housings. I thought about going to aluminum props, but decided to stay with SS and be more careful about *'s. I have the same boat as you but went with twin 135 Hondas, got so much other stuff powered by Honda, might as well stick with it, great motors so far!

Yeah, prop rebuilding is still done in Anchorage. A-1 Prop and Impeller Repair, aka Professional Marine, aka Professional Automotive on Potter between C St. and Old Seward.

It has been a while since I talked to A-1 but I don't think they rebuild SS props. Please let us know if they do, I have one that could use a tune-up.

Default Prop Repair

I have been using the Prop Shop to do all of my repairs. http://www.propshopinc.com

I had A-1 rebuild two aluminum impellers this past summer.They told me they would rebuild SS impellers, so it would be worth a phone call.