Thread: Suggestions for flies for Dollies in Lakes?

Default Suggestions for flies for Dollies in Lakes?

Just joined the forum. Was curious. I was fishing a lake (that is connected with the salt over a few miles) and my o' my, I was surprised at the number of dollies in the system. They were swimming around in 2 or 3 schools that must have had hundreds of fish in each school. I tried some dries, various streamers (ESL's, Mickey Finns, Polar shrimp, woolie buggers) and managed to catch just 2 fish in all of that time. One on a olive and pink ESL, and the other on a JJ special because that I had heard that any thing yellow will work. Any thoughts or ensights into another mode of attack?

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Just joined the forum. Was curious. I was fishing a lake (that is connected with the salt over a few miles) and my o' my, I was surprised at the number of dollies in the system. They were swimming around in 2 or 3 schools that must have had hundreds of fish in each school. I tried some dries, various streamers (ESL's, Mickey Finns, Polar shrimp, woolie buggers) and managed to catch just 2 fish in all of that time. One on a olive and pink ESL, and the other on a JJ special because that I had heard that any thing yellow will work. Any thoughts or ensights into another mode of attack?
    My top three are #10 Olive Woolly Bugger with a short tail, #10 Gold Bead Hares Ear, and #8 Pink Revolution. The WB is best as it drops or on a very slow retrieve. Wierd enough, they like that Hares Ear stripped pretty fast. The Pink Revolution is best fished fast too.

Thanks brownBear i'll give those a shot. Not sure what a "Pink Revolution" is but i'll give a little research. Yeah I noticed also that they seemed to be eyeing something on the surface. I never saw any bugs flying. Could there be some emmergger's this time of the year?

I haven't chased them much with flies, but something imitating a smolt should work well. I have slayed them with a 1/2 oz. Kastmaster (silver/blue stripe mainly) from my float tube by casting as far as I can and letting it hit the bottom and then "bouncing" it back slowly.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Thanks brownBear i'll give those a shot. Not sure what a "Pink Revolution" is but i'll give a little research. Yeah I noticed also that they seemed to be eyeing something on the surface. I never saw any bugs flying. Could there be some emmergger's this time of the year?
    The Pink Revolution is a dandy, simple fly. Jess Glamonn, manager of Mack's Sport Shop in Kodiak came up with it, and it's one of their hottest sellers. He told me the other day that the folks tying it for him have spread it around, and other areas are reporting the same thing. Dandy for silvers, kings, Dolleys and steelhead almost anywhere it's put in the water.

With all that leadup, are you ready for the pattern now? Dirt easy:

Long shank hook, gold bead, pink marabou tail, pink polar chenille (doubled) for body and hackle.

BTW- If they're looking up, try waking a dry fly over them. Best patterns for me doing that this fall, lakes or rivers, are Elk Hair Caddis and Kauffmans Stimulators in rather large sizes considering the small size of insects right now- #10 for the EHC and #12 for the Stimulator.

Thanks again brownbear, your very helpful. One fella told me he would help me if i told where the lake was, he-he-he, must be a city feller.
    That polar chenille is really making a name for itself. I'll tie some up today.

thunder creeks are about my favorite dolly fly ever.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

you like thunder creeks even this time of year powdermonkey?

yup thunder creeks work
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

How about a photo of the "Pink Revolution"?

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    How about a photo of the "Pink Revolution"?

George
    Here you go. Not much to it, but wow, does it ever work well. I tie them in light and medium pink, and both work though on some days one will work better than the other.