Thread: Looking for some grouse now...

Default Looking for some grouse now...

Going out this weekend in search of grouse. I'm heading towards Palmer (Maud road?), and Girdwood the next day. Does anybody have any advice on hunting these areas? Seen any birds lately?

Also never been to either of these places before, what's the road like? I've got a good sized cabover in the back of my truck, and no camper jacks. If I'm lucky the straps will break and the thing will just jump out, but until then I'm stuck hauling this beast with me every where I go.

Any luck out on maud road? I was out there the other day and didn't see much of anything

I was in up Buffallo Mine Road today. Saw plenty of ruffed grouse. I shot one and my partner shot one. we rode for a couple hours. Saw plenty. No spruce grouse though. Remember only one ruffed grouse per day. I have seen alot of hunters get popped for that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    I was in up Buffallo Mine Road today. Saw plenty of ruffed grouse. I shot one and my partner shot one. we rode for a couple hours. Saw plenty. No spruce grouse though. Remember only one ruffed grouse per day. I have seen alot of hunters get popped for that mistake.
    The limit is 2 ruffies per day in unit 13, 14, and 16 so there are a couple birds out there that are lucky you and your partner didn't brush up on the regs before you headed out
    Last edited by LuJon; 10-12-2008 at 00:54. Reason: To include additional information

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The limit is 2 ruffies per day in unit 13, so there are a couple birds out there that are lucky you and your partner didn't brush up on the regs before you headed out
    That's actually unit 14A.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's actually unit 14A.
    I knew that... I forgot some information in my previous post but luckily you caught it early enough for me to correct it

Might take a drive out that way if my first choice doesn't have any potential. My buddy and I went out in Willow on Monday and shot 8 spruce hens within 2 hours. Hopefully same can happen later this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The limit is 2 ruffies per day in unit 13, 14, and 16 so there are a couple birds out there that are lucky you and your partner didn't brush up on the regs before you headed out
    Actually, I am very aware of the regs I was just passing along the info. We shot one bird each. The point of the post was; the birds were there, just no spruce grouse and remind anybody hunting that area you only get one ruffie. Of course the area is easy access and gets hunted pretty hard. Willow will always be the better option.

Actually, I am very aware of the regs I was just passing along the info. We shot one bird each. The point of the post was; the birds were there, just no spruce grouse and remind anybody hunting that area you only get one ruffie. Of course the area is easy access and gets hunted pretty hard. Willow will always be the better option.
    units 13, 14, 16 are 15 grouse per day thirty in posession of which not more than 2 perday 4 in posession can be ruffed grouse. Is there something special about Buffalo mine that changes the unit 14 regs?

LOL I stand corrected, twice in one night. Units 7 and 15 are one ruffie a piece not 7 thru 15. Oh well they ate good.

LOL I stand corrected, twice in one night. Units 7 and 15 are one ruffie a piece not 7 thru 15. Oh well they ate good.
    They do eat good!! The breast is so much lighter in color and milder on the plate. I sure hope that one day we get to the point that they are prolific enough to liberalize the bag limits. They are alot more interesting to hunt than Sprucies. In my experiance if you flush a spruce grouse off the ground they go about ten feet to the nearest tree. The ruffies like to do the road runner thing on the ground and when they take to the air they are going to go at least 50-100 yards. They also seem to be more likely to land higher in the trees where they are harder to find after flushing.

How do you get to buffalo mine?

Default Where in Willow is this?

I'm looking at the map, and Fishook looks like it might be a good morning drive. Any luck between there and Palmer?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by lowxposure View Post
    I'm looking at the map, and Fishook looks like it might be a good morning drive. Any luck between there and Palmer?

if it was 1978.....maybe 79... then the 80's got here the farms gave way to subdivisions... uptight acres... snob hills....and the occasional end of the road group. not much left to wander on out on either fishhook... try hatcher's pass road all the way across to willow you might see some white ones....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince your the best, how about around your place.