Thread: beaver gun?

Question beaver gun?

I have heard several people talking about beaver hunting and was wondering what kind of guns and calibers you use. would a .22 be legal and have enough power to kill a beaver. Any suggestions would be well received.

A .22 works great for head shots only. I use a .22 magnum and have had good luck with shoulder shots if they are on the bank. For a .22 use hollow points or soft points. For the .22 mag, I shoot FMJ only.

Default I've used..

a .22, and numerous other calibers for beaver. I have used for the past 3 years a .17HMR with FULL METAL JACKETED BULLETS. DO NOT use the tipped ones as they blow up on impact and you will end up losing more beaver than you take. I nailed 2 last weekend. One in the head and the other through the shoulders on land. Dead instantly, no movement. Plus it is extremely accurate. You can set up 50 yards away if need be and nail the beaver.

Default beaver gun

beaver??? same as bear .375h&h lol no the rest of the guys are right. .22 is fine... i have been saving my pennies for one of those .17 hmr I hear good things about them but no personal experience. If you want to sell the hide or mount it. I dont recommend head shots. Im a taxidermist and trust me there pretty much not mountable after you pop them in the head. if there in the water wait them out. there only swimming to wear the want to get out and chomp on something. them pop them in the shoulders. the kill window is very small on them so just take out the front shoulders and you will know is down.
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stetsoncoltoutdoors View Post
    beaver??? same as bear .375h&h if there in the water wait them out. there only swimming to wear the want to get out and chomp on something. them pop them in the shoulders. the kill window is very small on them so just take out the front shoulders and you will know is down.

OR i have heard that the 375 h&h combined with a floating Colman propane can... pops them CLEAN outa the water.... no waiting involved...though again... if you want it mounted... there are other options...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    OR i have heard that the 375 h&h combined with a floating Colman propane can... pops them CLEAN outa the water.... no waiting involved...though again... if you want it mounted... there are other options...
    Vince does that can have to be full or will a partial empty work?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Vince does that can have to be full or will a partial empty work?
    well i guess that depends on the size of the beaver..depth of the pond and how far he is from shore
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here