Thread: float hunt on the Kobuk

Default float hunt on the Kobuk

My son and I are planning a float trip next year to hunt moose and caribou.
    Has anyone had any experience on the Kobuk River?

Any info wouldd be appreciated
    Thanks,
    David

Default Hunting on the Kobuk

Send me a quick e-mail and I can share some info.

Walt
    Northwest AlaskaBackcountry Rentals

Smile to northwest alaska

I tried sending u an email but it wouldn't go through so I sent a private message.

Hope you get my message

David

I have had some experience on the Kobuk, only one trip. Seemed pretty tame for the area we were on. Water was'nt fast and you just had to pick your channels. We were there 5 to 15 Sept or there abouts. I am not an expert and NWAlaska may be a better source but you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Thanks for your reply we are starting early with our planning and need to accumulate all the info we can for a good trip.
    Poor planning = poor trips

You know how that goes

I just recently found this forum and have found it to be worth it's weight in gold, site's like this are just too good!

Anyway thanks for your input and have a good one!

Smile Multiple posts!

Hi Dave,

Welcome!

If memory serves (and it rarely does these days), I think you posted this same question in several of our forums. While being a fisherman, I certainly understand having more than one line in the water where legal, when you do that here it just gets confusing for others looking for the same info.

I think I posted on this question in one of your other posts on it. I don't remember where though.

Anyway, just a heads-up for later. If you post it one place it will probably be read by as many folks as it would if you posted it in every forum. Most of us read most of this board.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile

actually I only posted the question in 2 forums however, thanks for heads up.

Just trying to gather info for a hunt next year.
    David

Default Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming dave View Post
    actually I only posted the question in 2 forums however, thanks for heads up.

Just trying to gather info for a hunt next year.
    David
    Sorry, David. I remembered that I saw this question somewhere else, but didn't realize it was only twice. Still...
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I'll assume, from your name, that your a non res. That means you will have to apply for a drawing permit to hunt moose in unit 23. If you don't get drawn, you won't be able to hunt moose. You also won't be able to hunt griz without a guide. However, the kobuk is a good river for black bear, and sometimes for caribou. The upper part of the river usually has good places to waylay bears at places they feed on salmon. As you get closer to the village of Kobuk, the caribou hunting often gets better.
    Depending on when you go, you will also have some pretty decent fishing. Plenty of opportunity for some grouse shooting along the river as well.
    Transporters in Kotz, Bettles, and in Kobuk can drop you off on the upper river.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Smile

martentrapper,

thanks for your reply and insight of the kobuk.

we are not planning on hunting griz, moose or caribou are our primary objectives. However, with all the time on the river fishing is DEFINITELY something we intend to do.

in your opinion is there a better river to float for a moose and (or) caribou hunt?

Thanks for your insight and help!

David

I can't really recommend a river that would be better for both animals. I'd be somewhat pressed to recommend any river that would be good for both. You may need to decide which is your priority, and then look for a place that offers a possibility of a 2nd species.
    Consider doing the Kobuk, and just applying for the moose drawing permit. Maybe one or both will get lucky. Even if you don't get a moose permit, the bou and black bear hunting may still offer you quite the experience.
    There may be some moose/bou possibilities in north eastern unit 25, like the extreme upper Colleen or Sheenjek rivers. You'll have to research that yourself.
    You may also avail yourselves to the expertise of pristine ventures. I see alot of satisfied customers of his on these forums.

Smile

Martentrapper,

Thanks again for your post and insight.
    Kinda funny you mentioned the Skeenjeck River. I was scouting for my elk hunt this year here in WY. and by chance found a spendy fly rod a fellow lost, he had his name and contact info on it so I called him and he came to camp and picked it up.
    Turns out he was a local taxidermist, I called him yesterday re: his take on this trip and he said he went with a party of 7-8 on the Skeenjeck and they had good luck! Sounds like the Skeenjeck is another good possibility.
    Oh, and I got a 5 point bull elk, not a wall hanger but very tasty, on opening day of bow season

I know we may biting off a big chunk trying for 2 species and maybe we should just consider 1 species at a time. Might prove to be a better hunt. We will definitely consider making changes re: moose and caribou, specially since moose are a drawing.

Thanks again,
    David

I was also looking at float hunting in this "neck of the woods" and was looking at the Kobuk or Noatak. We aren't really targeting a specific species, but figured 'bou would be our best bet. One other thing we'd definitely like to do would be land a sheefish and large pike while we are out there. Can anyone offer a comparison on the Kobuk vs. the Noatak?

I don't think there are any sheefish on the Noatak. I know there are pike in the lower river sloughs. The upper kobuk has both pike and sheefish. It would be the better choice if the 2 fish species are important to you.
    A co worker of mine just came back from 2 weeks on the upper Kobuk around the maniilaq river. They saw absolutely no bou, but did see moose and alot of bears(black and brown). He said the sheefishing was awesome.