Thread: Totally unscientific casual observation...

Default Totally unscientific casual observation...

Been busier'n a pup with two tails the last couple weeks. Most of the deer and elk general hunts start this weekend, the rest in a few days. Of course, most guys are waiting till the last possible minute to get their guns repaired, scopes replaced, still scurrying around for last year's super-duper-whizbang factory load that blew down the forest and left the meat laying on the ground cut, wrapped and frozen......and dumbstruck when they find out that their flash-in-the-pan wonder ammo didn't make it to the second year of production.
    It occured to me to keep a short mental list (not possible for a long mental list in THIS brain-housing group) of what these guys were seeking, firearms-wise, and why.
    First up, it amazed me just how many guys still think there are tons of 99 Savages chambered to their .300 Savage round still out there. I put a few hash marks down on a scrap of paper (as scientific as this study gets) for the cartridge/gun combinations guys were asking for.
    Perhaps ten guys wanted the 99/.300 guns.
    That many again were looking for cut-down or purpose built youth guns chambered to .243, but more asked first if we had any 6mm Remingtons kicking around. Most were looking for rifles for their 12 year old, first time hunting, daughters! In that group of seekers, a few still want a .260 Remington, but would absolutely turn green and look aghast at the mention of a nice 6.5X55 Swede....amazing. There were a couple of these guys who I figure were lying about getting kids/wives rifles, and secretly wanted a new gun for themselves, especially after learning of the diminutive stature of their Beloved's physique, and then having them ask for .358 Winchester or .350 Remington carbines!!!
    Still high on the list was guys getting truly upset after learning (almost three years after the fact) that they couldn't still buy a 94 Winchester in .30-30, and that those that WERE available had doubled, tripled, and in some cases even more, increased in price! Those same gents looked like the aforementioned .260 shoppers, when it was pointed out that there were brand spanking new Marlins sitting on the rack that were stronger, perhaps more accurate, and capable of mounting 'glass without a hitch....
    Those looking for shotguns for first-time bird hunters are at long last past the notion that they need to start kids out with a .410! Most-sold combination for kids' shotguns is the 870 Express Youth in 20 ga. with 26" barrels, ribbed, with choke tubes and 3" chambers.
    In light of what could reasonably be expected to happen if that there one guy gets the white house, and his party retains a big majority in both houses, and what they might be putting on the SCOTUS, high capacity handguns, AR type rifles, Mini-14's, AK's in any and all variations, as well as magazines to feed them, and ammunition by the case lot, especially ammunition, are flying off the shelves!
    Be interestin' to see what happens come Christmas time, and how much of it comes back to us around April 15th next year!!!!

Interesting on the 99/300 Savage. Mention the 300 in mixed company of hunters in many parts of the country, and you'll get about the same reaction you got to the 6.5x55. It's real popular still in the brush country of coastal northern California and southern Oregon, but you're in thutty-thutty country if you go inland from there.

I'm kinda amazed that with the changing state of affairs in Winchesterland guys are still so resistant to Marlins. Looks like image and fashion come at a price even when there are cheaper (and pointedly better) alternatives, even amog hunters.

Darreld,
    Do you think that in the near future there will actually be ammunition shortages? I have been wondering about this myself, since I been hearing on the news that our U.S. economy is getting a little strained right now due to debt and bailouts and other things. Last spring when I was buying my 2 cases of 12 ga shotgun shells at Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage the staff there were already talking about their concerns regarding ammo shortages. I have noticed that prices are going up on boxes of ammo all across the board, even at Wal-mart. Best prices I see on ammo out here in the bush is on boxes of 223 and 6.5x55 everything else has jumped up considerably due to higher transportation costs. What ya think? Thanks

Have them call the Sportsmans Warehouse in Wasilla. I bet 1 out of 5 rifles there is a .243 . What the heck a guy would want a .243 in Alaska for is beyond me.

My first shotgun at 12 years old was a 20 guage. of course then again my first rifle at 15 was a 338 win mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default My thoughts on ammunition and component shortages

I think, from what I'm hearing around the coffee pot, is talk from fellas that remember what the Clintons did, as far as a ban on semi-autos, and such, and the efforts recently by Dep of Labor concerning shipment of primers and powder....any way that 'they' (anti-gunners/hunters/liberals) can put a burr under our saddles, they'll do, AND, considering the real possibility of one of the worst to come down the pike perhaps gaining the White House, and the likelihood that 'they' will get a REAL majority in both houses, AND, with three judges on SCOTUS retiring (and you KNOW that 'he' ain't a gonna replace 'em with constitutionalist type judges), you can only imagine what'll happen in the next couple years. I'd personally be looking for a stack of legislation to be on his desk for signing regarding firearms/ammunition/component/ownership restrictions on about January 29th 2009!!!
    Lawsuits restricting types of firearms, quantities of firearms and ammunition, ownership, and use WILL come up in front of Federal judges who will rule against "US", end up in front of the SCOTUS, and not likely have the same result as the recent DC ruling. Bank on it.
    I think that what I've just mentioned is driving a lot of folks to start accumulating and hoarding, now.....
    As to price increases, honestly, I think that manufacturers here in the states are competing with everyone else around theworld for materials. Especially metals. Lead has absolutely gone nuts, and kids are stripping copper wiring and plumbing out of vacant houses. Several cases here where families went on vacation, came back a week later, and their home was stripped. Catalytic converters are sawzalled out of cars sitting in parking lots.
    If we don't pay the price for materials, China will, and then sell the finished products back to us...with the burgeoning production everywhere else, there ARE significant shortages and price increases of base materials for bullets, brass, and chemicals.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-09-2008 at 18:31. Reason: .

Thanks Darreld for sharing your unscientific and causal observations on various firearms, gun rights and ammunition related subjects.

Default shortages

A friend of mine that works for Federal in Anoka, Minnesota, says that they are working 24/7; and they can't keep up, even working at maximum capacity. Their costs for materials is up almist 300%. And it's not just China and India buying all the metals either.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    A friend of mine that works for Federal in Anoka, Minnesota, says that they are working 24/7; and they can't keep up, even working at maximum capacity. Their costs for materials is up almist 300%. And it's not just China and India buying all the metals either.
    Dan
    That fits. Last year there was a shortage of small rifle primers. Local shops went a whole year before their backorders were filled, going so far as buying cases from one particular big box store in Anchorage and putting them on their own shelves just to have shelf stock. Took them six months to locate me some #11 percussion caps, which they normally keep in stock. They finally got in two 10-packs of tins, and I bought them all.

The situation seems to have eased a bit, but with slow deliveries of some ammo and components still today, they're thinking the supply chain is still stretched a bit thin.

Question question Darreld

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Thanks Darreld for sharing your unscientific and causal observations on various firearms, gun rights and ammunition related subjects.
    I'll ditto what Nukalpiag stated, but I have a question out of curiousity. Were you, by any chance, road hunting west of Arco today in that blinding snow storm? Reason I ask, is that the animals were extremely nervous and skittish. Something we've noticed in animal behaviour when you've been lurking and looming in an area. We haven't figured out any connection yet, but we can't help believe that there is one. Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Me, Road Hunt???

Waren't me ya saw. That time! I been known to skulk around the Big Southern Butte a bit now and again, though. I pretty much figured that a two track through the sagebrush don' qualify as a road, so I'm covered, right?
    If you're in town, why not stop in and introduce yourself! A to Z Guns at 30 W. Bridge Street. I'm the old, ugly fat guy with a nasty attitude!!!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-12-2008 at 00:45. Reason: .

Talking not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Waren't me ya saw. That time! I been known to skulk around the Big Southern Butte a bit now and again, though. I pretty much figured that a two track through the sagebrush don' qualify as a road, so I'm covered, right?
    If you're in town, why not stop in and introduce yourself! A to Z Guns at 30 W. Bridge Street. I'm the old, ugly fat guy with a nasty attitude!!!
    A road is a road, so what part of road don't you understand? Playing word games won't alter that fact...since you tried that one, your denial is suspect now and makes me more suspicious. Anyway, thanks for the invite and next time thru, I'll drop in. That's Blackfoot, right? Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Yessirree! Blackfoot!

Stop in, we got the absolute worst coffee in town! Actually, I'm at the store 9-6 Monday through Friday. Been nursing the pup back from Parvo on the days off, and that is what I did all weekend.....