Thread: Unit 20a moose needed

Default Unit 20a moose needed

Greetings!
    Just got back from a three month stint on the slope and missed regular moose season (first opening day I missed in 13 years). My deep freeze is looking depressingly empty and I am planning on going across the river from Fairbanks, even considering the tighter regs in place. Is the hunt still open?
    I would like to set up camp and hunt for 3-5 days. Can anyone give me any helpful advice? Thought about taking the canoe over, but am looking for a ride, if possible. Would like to work something out to make this happen. Otherwise, info on put-in and takeout locations providing quick access to the other side would be much appreciated. I don't want to be paddling too many miles on that cold-ass river. Any Interior river rats reading this?
    Thanks

Default 20A

Well you should go by F&G and get there new map and hunting area's for the cow hunt,They chagend alot this year & the area's still open your not going to get there by Boat,Either fly-in or On snowmachine after the river freezes up..Goodluck

Default Thanks for the info

Sounds good. I thought about taking the snowmachines over. Seems like that would be the best way. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reilly View Post
    Well you should go by F&G and get there new map and hunting area's for the cow hunt,They chagend alot this year & the area's still open your not going to get there by Boat,Either fly-in or On snowmachine after the river freezes up..Goodluck
    Whats your best guess on the dates of the river freezing up?
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Default River

Well I crossed the Tanana last year in Nov 20th and we Brought back 2 moose...But you never Know with our crazy weather

Default Tanana Ice...

Will be coming soon. The temp at Parks and Sheep Cr. this morning was -6!

Default 20A

I'm considering taking a trip into 20A also. I've never hunted that side of the river before, let alone in the winter. Any ideas where a good place to cross is? I was thinking down near Salcha/Little Delta area. Is it pretty much just busting brush or are there any decent trails over on that side? Thanks.