Thread: Shanghaied....

Default Shanghaied....

It looks as if I've been volunteered to lend a hand...handloading that is.

The folks at the Museum of the North at UAF have asked me to give a reloading siminar on Oct 18, Saturday and about 1 pm. That is the day of the Patty center gunshow so the thinking is that folks could go to the gunshow in the morning and drop by the museum later to see the exhibits. There will be a hunting/shooting/trapping exhibits/siminars, which apparently will include old Murphy's handloading expose. I don't know what it will be exactly but mainly designed for informational purposes and to stimulate interest in the hobby. Perhaps some tie in to self reliance and tending ones own flock. I won't have equipment set up but will have some there mainly just for show and tell and to answer questions.

So I guess this is your official invite to come out and visit, ask questions, just get acquainted, for any of you in the Fairbanks area or who might be in town for the gunshow. Come by and say hi.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey, great opportunity for you Murphy! There is nothing like letting people get a little hands on to peak their interest. I know you said you wouldn't have much equipment there but perhaps you could take some equipment people could at least fondel a bit. Some dies, hand priming tool, and maybe a single stage press. Perhaps some cases with spent primers that you could let them resize or even bullets to seat. For sure I wouldn't take any live primers or powder. You might even get somebody like Sportsmans Warehouse to donate some stuff for you.

Maybe this isn't such a good idea. Reloading stuff already cost enough and if everyone gets interested in it that would send the prices very high!

Dan

Thumbs up

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Professor Murphy, this is a great opportunity to do so. As you can tell from this forum, he's a gold mine of information and gives generously of his time and experience with us...and when you do meet him it's clear right off the bat that he's one of the good guys.

...sorry I won't be there Professor, my son finally graduated from UAF (5th year was the charm)...and this would have been the weekend that I was up there changing over his tires for winter.

Murphy, I was not certain when to head to town, thought perhaps next Tuesday and get a few things done and head back Thursday. I like that idea of stopping by and personally meeting you. Shanghai'd-smart move on there part!

see ya soon.

Wow! They have gunshows on the UAF campus? Why didn't they do that when I was going there? Thirty years ago now....

I will get word to your buddy Shane as I am sure he would not want to miss it.

Default You bet.

I'll be glad to stop by and visit. Great opportunity for continuing education. There's always one or two nagging questions and no one better for the right answers than Murphy.

Really wish I could be there Murphy, but I will be antelope hunting a few hundred miles away. Maybe I could express some cases, powder, bullets and primers to you, so you could load up my Fall's hunting cartridges???

Have fun.

Maybe you could make some free dummy rounds (no primer/FMJ) as a souvenier for attendees. If you had the materials lying around.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Hey Murphy,
    Wish I could make it to Fairbanks for the reloading seminar too. I am gonna be needing to take a few reloading classes once my dies come in for the new rifle. One of these days I will just have to drive up to Fairbanks just to say hello. I have a daughter that attends UAF, I will email her about the event, she usually checks out the activities that happen on campus. Take care

Thumbs up Tough luck for me too...

I would definitely check out the seminar except for that I'm heading north in the wee hours of the morning to chase around caribou. Good luck with it and hope you generate some interest and get a few more started on the right track.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.