Thread: .223 enough

Default .223 enough

Hey guys i was wondering how many of you think that a .223 is big enough to take wolves out to 300 400 yards. I have an AR-15 that i would like to do a few mods to but didnt know if i should jusst go with a whole different upper in a bigger caliber like a 6.5 or what the one i have now is a .223. Or maybe a different gun say a 22-250 or 25-06. Any input would be helpful. thanks

Default 223

I am not sure about 300-400 yards but inside that range it should be just fine. I am in the process of setting up a Bushmaster Predator just for this purpose. At this time I am still working on loads. My only issue at this time is a cover for the muzzle while traveling on a snow machine.
    Good luck.

Bearcat, How are you carrying your rifle while you are riding? After bombing along with mine on a sling last year I switched to a Eberlestock X1 back pack this year. It isn't the perfect setup but it is the best I have found. It is ok on ATV's but the rifle scabard tends to push against the rear fender excessively. On a sled I just cock it off to the side and so the barrel doesn't hit the seat and I am good to go! I havn't done more than sit on the sled with it since I purchased it this summer but I think it will work quite well! It also should solve the snow in the barrell and scope problems! I am not sure how this bag would work with an AR (havn't tried it yet) but it is great for bolt guns.
    What optics are you going with on your AR? That is one thing I am undecided on, I think I have settled on a 32mm objective though to keep the size down. Beyond theat I don't know

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have been pondering this barrel cover also since my run through the brush this fall, on the 4 wheel. left my muzzle brake full of sticks and leaves... spent 10 min sucking and picking them out, rather then aiming at my moose...

was considering a neoprene sleeve.... easy to slip off and on... like the pinky finger off one of those fishing gloves... could even sew a strap to it and attach to sling swivel...HMMMMMMMM
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Maybe one of those finger condems would work as a cover. You could shoot through it as well. I'm not sure if that would affect the performance of your muzzle break though. I think they sell them at office stores.

Default Duct tape!!!

Duct tape is the best muzzle cover. Doesn't affect muzzle brakes at all, been useing DT for years and holds up for weeks and doesn't tear like those barrel condoms.

Default 223

Lujon, Currently I have a Bushnell 3200 elite with the firefly cross hairs. This is the scope that came on the rifle in a 'package' deal. It may not be the best but for now it will have to do. I would like to put something with a mil-dot but now this one will do. I intend to keep it on a padded sling and just sling it across my back. My two concerns are falling off the machine, getting snow in the barrel and not having anything on the muzzle to keep the snow out of the barrel.
    I have been trying to work up some loads and have not been able to find a reload that really shots well. However I did try some Hornday Varmint Express, 55gr V-max and shot a 1/4 x 1/2 three shot group at 100 yards. I need to play with this one a little more. I just do not like buying ammo, when I can reload it.
    I can not wait until we get more snow so I can get out with this set-up. I may have to do a 'walk about' looking for coyotes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Lujon, Currently I have a Bushnell 3200 elite with the firefly cross hairs. This is the scope that came on the rifle in a 'package' deal. It may not be the best but for now it will have to do. I would like to put something with a mil-dot but now this one will do. I intend to keep it on a padded sling and just sling it across my back. My two concerns are falling off the machine, getting snow in the barrel and not having anything on the muzzle to keep the snow out of the barrel.
    I have been trying to work up some loads and have not been able to find a reload that really shots well. However I did try some Hornday Varmint Express, 55gr V-max and shot a 1/4 x 1/2 three shot group at 100 yards. I need to play with this one a little more. I just do not like buying ammo, when I can reload it.
    I can not wait until we get more snow so I can get out with this set-up. I may have to do a 'walk about' looking for coyotes.

Bear cat i have the same scope set up on my Ar15.... wow i love it.. solid for shooting 3 out of 5in same hole at 100 yards ..1 inch group, cross hair glow in low light.. is the best thing for early morning yotes.. i have seen yet.. you see how much daylight we have up here at -30.. it really extends the hunting hours.. Black elec tape works good to keep snow out of end of barrel.. shine a flashlight in scope for 2 min. it will glow for about 2 hours. i also have it on my 300wm, and my girls 270 win. for moose and BOU.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince:
    I really like the look of the firefly but I don't understand why they don't offer it in the 2-7x32. Or even better would be a 2.5-8x32! The AR platform is already pretty bulky and when I get one I would like to keep it as slim as possible slapping a 40+ mm scope on it sure goes against that idea! The only 32mm they offer it in is the 2-4.5 for shotguns which is a little weak for my taste.

Na LUJON you will like it...whoops thats his 243 and 223. lol
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.

meet on face book here

try again.............
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.

meet on face book here

OFF TOPIC>>> Dang Vince I swear if my wife wasn't in school I would just pull up and get a place up there! Nothing like being able to shoot by the house! My new job lets me work werever I want so being close to Anchorage is no longer necessary... Aparently she has a few years left but even then she is going to be an x-ray tech and needs at leas a clinic with an x-ray department nearby. I am looking into property in Cantwell for a recreational cabin though so I guess that will have to do!

I'm planning on using my AR for that, once I get my new rock river predator persuit upper. I figure either the 69 bthp or 75 a-max ought to do the trick.

Default My new AR

I built an AR for this very reason this summer. LMT lower and 16" DPMS upper (bull barrel), I splurged on a good lower and got a cheap upper with DPMS but so far it done real well. I really had a hard time deciding on an optic, I looked at the firefly but it just didn't do it for me. Something about having to shine a flashlight in my scope in the fading light while a weary predator was running away. A friend of mine has a Trijicon 4x32 ACOG (Hes in the military) and he let me shoot his Colt with the ACOG on it and I was sold. Just so happened that the PFD came out and I orderd my scope. Sighted it in just like it told me to do in the manuel, at 36 yards, and then fine tune it at 100m and the bullet drop indicator is supposed to good out to 800m, well it may be good out to 800m but Im not. However at 350 m I was still getting 2 to 3 inch groups. Just sitting and resting on my knees. Now bring on the big bad wolves.

I forgot to mention, I plan for this rifle to be used so Im going to carry it on a sling where I can get to it quickly while on my snowshoes or snowmachine so I don't really have any need to put it in a gun case or anything like that. I also put a piece of black electrical tape on the muzzle to keep the snow out. It usually rides on my chest while on the snowmachine. There has been too many time when I have to stop and unpack my gun while a wolve runs out of sight, in my experience once you take you eyes off it you will never find it again. Or at least I don't.
    Last edited by byrd_hntr; 10-13-2008 at 18:19. Reason: add some stuff

Default Electrical tape

Put electrical tape over the barrel before you go out... does the same thing as duct tape, without the sticky residue.

Default wolfin w the AR

AR with a 16" 1x9 twist has put alot of wolfs in my fur shed over the years, no problem with the range your talking about.
    Before I started flyin my wolf line I would snogo with a modified GUN BOOT. Turn it upside down and cut off the handle and cut out enough for the mag well. Insert AR upside down. I attached a bungee that when over the pistol grip. Mine was old so it had the holes in it to attach with a 2 pin mount that I adapted to my snogo rear rack. would use a full cover scope coat for the opticis. just a thought it worked for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102-0247_AUT.JPG  
    Last edited by Cub Driver; 11-17-2008 at 22:45. Reason: attach pic

Default WoW!

Nice Cub driver, nice plane, nice rifle, nice wolves, nice!

I ride a Ski Doo SWT. I removed that flexible handle in the middle of the handlebars and installed a gun rack on the handlebars. I carry a mini-14 in the rack. I cover the end of the barrel with those little condoms like things to keep snow out. Almost all my riding is on wide trails so busting through brush is not a problem. I usually lay a shop towel over the action to keep out debris. Keeps it nice and handy, got a Lynx last year when it came out into the trail ahead of me.

I also carried a Contender Carbine in .223 on the handlebars of my old Tundra. That accounted for a few critters as well.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

DT or e tape in muzzle and keep your rifle on your chest so snow won`t get into and I have old sock covering my scope when I ride my sled.