Thread: Di403

Default Di403

Anybody have any luck with bison yet? I am heading down on the 15th for the class but dont plan on my first hunt until the 11th of December. Curious to see if anybody on here has hunted yet?

Make sure you spend the night and spend a day driving around. There is an easy way into the Panoramics There is a gate a few miles up from the Silver Fox Road house DNR has a gate there but if you back up there is a road that drops down and rides the powerline around the gate That puts you in the center of the fields you will pass a feeder on the left there were alot of bison over to the right every morning .And 2 were shot the 12 days we were there in that field.And we spotted many groups in there. Go to google earth you can see it real well.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

One of my students shot a cow up in Delta this weekend on private property. I didn't get the name of the farm from her, but it was land of a family friend that doesn't generally allow hunting. Some folks have all the luck, eh? Still, I'm awfully proud of my 15 year old student. She did great!

I'll be heading up to hunt with a friend of mine on her permit in a little more than two weeks. My father also has a permit and will be going up late next week. I'll post reports as I get them.

Roger - The area you're describing above - is that public land? I know private land is ideal and gets you away from competition, but if that public area is productive, I wouldn't mind starting there first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

The area you're describing above - is that public land? I know private land is ideal and gets you away from competition, but if that public area is productive, I wouldn't mind starting there first.
    Brian ,
    It is public we did see bison everytime we went thru. Needless to say almost every bison we did see was a bull and I had a cow tag. here is a photo of a bull 30 yards in the Panoramics the field takes about 45 min to drive the entire thing ,It has lots of smaller fields all around. Seemed like all the Bison bedded up in there if you get in there drive in with your headlight off and as soon as you can see thru the binoculars start looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roger...

What time of year did you hunt it? Love the pic of the bull!! Gets the adrenaline pumping!!! Did you truly have trouble distinguishing the difference in sex as fish and game says?

Brian...

What days are you going to be up next week? I will be in Wednesday's class even though I cant hunt till Nov. 7. Let me know if you want help or a tag-a-long. I am going to spend as much time down there as I can to get ready for my hunt!!!! It is only an hour and half drive for me with crappy roads!

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Brian...

What days are you going to be up next week? I will be in Wednesday's class even though I cant hunt till Nov. 7. Let me know if you want help or a tag-a-long. I am going to spend as much time down there as I can to get ready for my hunt!!!! It is only an hour and half drive for me with crappy roads!
    It turns out that we probably won't be going hunting until the weekend of the 26th due to the work schedule of the hunter I'm going with. She's on a tight schedule, so we're planning 3 days around that weekend, then afterwards we'll consider Thanksgiving if unsuccessful the first time around. My father is probably heading up late next week, but I don't think I'm going along on his hunt.

I'll let you know when I'll be up there when it is certain. At the very least I'd love to say hello if we're in town at the same time.

I'm going with my buddy that one a DM 798 permit Nov. 20-23. If you are gonna be up that way then let me know Brian. Which permit does your friend have??

DI 40cow (I can't recall if it's 403 or 404 - she has the cow permit. I'll let you know if we're heading back.

Brian,

The Panoramic Fields are the state "Bison range" for lack of a better term. The bison hang out there a fair amount, but since they are public lands the animals get chased around quite a bit in that area. The year I was up there something like six or eight animals were killed on the Panoramics in the first couple of days of the season, then it was pretty sporadic after that. If you are on a short time window I would maybe duck into the Panoramics once or twice early in the morning or in the evening, but would spend most of my hunting time on the place I mentioned by PM.

FK 107,

Hopefully the pictures come through. I was in the first group. I was able to take a bison on the third day of hunting. The picture of the group of bison is from our first day of hunting. 38 in the group with 4 good cows we liked. We watched them for over 3 hours but the cows we wanted just wouldn't seperate from the group for a safe shot. Could have easily taken smaller cows but passed.

Day two we only saw one lone bull. Had some snow that day which limited visibility.

Day three we searched for tracks in the snow. Got on one set of tracks and eventually jumped up another lone bull. Finally we decided we needed to expand our hunting area. We had been hunting two private farms and late that afternoon tracked down the owners of the adjacent farm and received permission to hunt. It wasn't an hour later we were on a group of 8 bison and were able to get in position for a shot.

The F&G class will ease your mind when it comes to telling sex. The more mature cows are fairly easy to tell from the bulls. If you get the opportunity to see a bull and cow by each other it really helps in judging the sex of animals you see later. Just take your time.

Call as many land owners as you can, even if the F&G list says they don't allow hunting. The tract I took my bison from was labeled as no hunting on the F&G list. When I talked to them they were extremely nice, said they allow hunters and to get rid of as many bison as we could. Apparently the bison were doing a good amount of damage to one of their fields. Didn't have to pay a harvest fee either.

G]

Default Try again on the pictures

Trying this one more time.

Have fun on your hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    If you get the opportunity to see a bull and cow by each other it really helps in judging the sex of animals you see later.

You can drive over to the Holsenback farm and glass them thru the fence

Steven's Village Native Corp has a farm on Spur Rd with 50 or so bison right off the road. It's easy to find and is in the barley projects so it isn't out of the way. I'm not familiar with the Holsenback farm. I believe Randy Peterson also has some farmed bison, but he's farther out than Steven's Village farm.

Default Delta Bison Hunts Request for Information

I am going to Delta Junction on 21 Oct for a bison hunt. I would appreciate any information from hunters who have returned recently. I do plan on paying to hunt on private land but will look at the public bison range area also. A few questions;
    -should I take my 4 wheelers up there or is this a spot from the truck and stalk hunt?
    -how many days do most hunters allocate for this hunt? I am scheduling 10 days for my hunt.
    -does the public land hunting have to much pressure on it?
    -how many bison are in the area at this time?
    -good restaurants to eat at?

This is a dream hunt for me and I thank you in advance for any information you provide.

Rick