Thread: Remington 375H&H

Default Remington 375H&H

Anyone with experience with this rifle? i'm thinking of buying a used one for bears. My Remington AWR had ejection problems, I had Sako extractor mod put in six years ago, no problems. Feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Years ago I owned a Remington 700 Safari Grade in 375 H&H. Good rifle. It would put 3 of the 285 Speer Grand Slams into 5/8" group at 100 yards. This particular rifle was from the Custom Shop and had a fairly heavy barrel contour.

I've owned on for many years and shot it lots- zero ejection problems in mud, cold, snow, ice. But I never hotrod my handloads either. Accurate as the dickens, and just about my favorite large bore.

Were your rifles blued or stainless and about how many years old, I,m not much impressed with recent production rifles, actually saw a bolt come off one of the newer ultramags, the bolt handle just broke off. No handload issue,(well to do dentist who only shoots factory ammo)

Mine is roughly 25 years old and blued (mostly). It's had the stuffing banged out of it over the years and there's not much blue left. Should have had it redone a long time ago, but I hate to let anyone mess with it, I like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    Anyone with experience with this rifle? i'm thinking of buying a used one for bears. My Remington AWR had ejection problems, I had Sako extractor mod put in six years ago, no problems. Feedback appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Sako 375HH and love it. But Im looking to add a new 700 AWR to my collection. Other then ejection problems, how do you rate the gun?

Smile

It is my favorite rifle. I have made shots with it that I am ashamed to tell about, but it (300 WinMag) has taken 4 sheep (3 Stones, 1Dall) 2 moose (Canadian and Shiras), 3 big black bears, one small one, 2 mule deer, 1 elk, 3 caribou, 1 whitetail, 3 muledeer, and one mountain goat. Only the goat took more than 1 shot(3). All with Remington plain CoreLokts 180 gr. The stock looks like dog dookey but it still shoots great. It's 8 years old. So yeah,I really like it. I'm going on a coastal grizzly hunt in 3 weeks, going to take my Winchester 338 Mag, not as accurate but the 300 just seems abit light. If the new AWR of same quality as my old one, I'd say get it...but I just don't know if that is the case. Hope that helps.